Possibly be the first stupid engine Q on the new forum

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Tj.

Possibly be the first stupid engine Q on the new forum

Post by Tj. »

Sorry guys but someone had to do it.

I'm gathering info on doing a 2.6 conv into a GC Coupe.

Now, now, before you start throwing stuff at me I have been searching the old forums but without much luck.
I'll keep trying but any suggestions for search criteria would be appreciated.

Mostly I just want some opinions on my very rough, at the moment plans.

Firstly I would like to build the engine and all associated bits and pieces on the bench so its a working unit when it gets dropped into the car. The car is my GF's daily driver at the moment so i'm looking for minimal down time.

I'm not looking for ball tearing performance or anything that's going to do 1/4 mile runs or any other motorsport (i've got an old Datto 1600 for that :twisted: )
I just want to build a quick-ish street car. Drivability over performance.
Having said that I'm not going to shy away from doing something a little different.

I was considering a 2.6 EFI. A magna engine (I'm not sure what engine number or derivative that is exactly but i know to look for an M6 head for the roller rockers)
I dont want to go turbo.

Is EFI really that big a stuff about if it's a complete unit out of a Magna? My main concern is the ECU. Is it as simple as plug n play or is it more complex?
Do i need to find a Manual Magna if i want to run a 5 speed on it or does it not matter (need clarification on the whole wide block narrow block thing)

I wanted to go EFI, not only for a little more power but for easy cold starts.

The car was originally an auto, but is now running a 4-speed. Are the holes in the trans tunnel bigger for autos or are they the same as manuals. Does the shifter move a long way back or just a little?. the car has a mint factory interior incl centre console and I'd like to keep it that way
The gearbox mount is already shagged so i know i need to replace it. Do you need a different cross member or will this one fit and if so, can you still get replacement rubbers?

And now the curly question:
I remember seeing in the for sale forum quite some time ago someone had fab'd up a Quad Throttle-body setup for an Astron.
It roughly resembled a Webber manifold with 4 TB's mounted on it with ram tubes (looked the goods!) and had injectors fitted near the ports.
I know it's a little pie in the sky but I'm in no rush to build this engine and I like the idea of something a little different.
Has anyone on here experimented with that setup and if so, how much of their sanity did it cost them.

As I said, no major rush. I want to redo the suspension, steering and brakes first. Before the little lady and I put it back together it had been sitting in my dads garage for nearly 15 years. I'll post some pics later. In another thread.

I know this gets covered every other day, so I'm searching the boards for posts with all the little details, i just had some main questions to ask before getting too set on the idea.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
cheaterparts

Re: Possibly be the first stupid engine Q on the new forum

Post by cheaterparts »

Tj. wrote:
I'm gathering info on doing a 2.6 conv into a GC Coupe.

I'm not looking for ball tearing performance or anything that's going to do 1/4 mile runs or any other motorsport (i've got an old Datto 1600 for that :twisted: )

I was considering a 2.6 EFI. A magna engine (I'm not sure what engine number or derivative that is exactly but i know to look for an M6 head for the roller rockers)
I dont want to go turbo.

Is EFI really that big a stuff about if it's a complete unit out of a Magna? My main concern is the ECU. Is it as simple as plug n play or is it more complex?

I wanted to go EFI, not only for a little more power but for easy cold starts.

And now the curly question:
I remember seeing in the for sale forum quite some time ago someone had fab'd up a Quad Throttle-body setup for an Astron.
It roughly resembled a Webber manifold with 4 TB's mounted on it with ram tubes (looked the goods!) and had injectors fitted near the ports.
I know it's a little pie in the sky but I'm in no rush to build this engine and I like the idea of something a little different.
Has anyone on here experimented with that setup and if so, how much of their sanity did it cost them.
firstly I cant tell you all you will need to fit the astron into your GC some one will

and a 1600 datson wont a horrible car ( I have a customers 1600 to do bits for atm powered by N/A SR20 being set up for hillclimb )

all magna engines are narrow pattern so will fit your 4 speed - I would however look for a 5 speed for a street car
now a magna engine has the water pump on the back of the engine that will need a welsh plug in there and a narrow sump front timing cover needs to be fitted for a siga water pump

as for the magna EFI you can fit the std ecu - you will need to fit all of the magna indution bits including the MAF
as for the manifold I have modifided a few now ( fitting the T/B to the correct end for RWD )

as for the Quads thats my manifold you are prob thinking of it is still to go on the car
and will be going on my new engine build - the engine has run 45 mm webers but they are realy a bit small for a 2.6 and the quads should open up some more power
I'm also fitting a lighter Knife edge crank and a lighter flywheel with more comp and a bigger cam - I'm hoping top make 135 Kw atw with this build
but every Kw seams harder to get
cheater
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I don't think it was a stupid question.

the magna M6 head is apparently superior to the others in port flow. but the M8 or M9 head flows almost as much and has smaller combustion chambers for higher compression (around 9.3:1 with flat tops)

I would try to get hold of sigma rocker gear, and ditch the roller rockers, they're not true roller rockers anyhow. the cam follower is a roller, but the lifter end is hydraulic. and you can get better cams for the sigma rocker gear, should you choose to go down that route.

ps. a quad throttle body 2.6 in a galant WOULD be a ball tearer! :twisted:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

GC Coupe eh? nice :)

Well seems like you've got a fairly good idea to start with really?

Hmm, when putting the engine in, it would be advisable to also use some GH sigma engine mounts (sits the engine lower & holds it a lot tighter).

As cheater has pointed out, you will be able to bolt it onto the 4speed, but yeah, 5 speed would be the go (you will need to look for one from a 2lt - narrow block, to match a magna 2.6).

Do a search of the old forum for a thread GB_BB4C had on the gearbox crossmember - moddifying it to take a sigma gearbox mount. They are designed to take more weight.

Not sure my self on the auto/manual compatibility of the ECU, but if you can find a manual magna to wreck, you wont have to chase down a suitable flywheel.

Nick.

PS: Don't forget to get a GH sigma radiator too :roll:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Thanks for the pointers.

Quick question while my mind's on the subject. Will the 5spd from the 2L that you recomend fit the standard 4G32 as well? The 4sp that's in the car now is a bit of a dog and I'd like to put a 5sp in it now, but if I can avoid buying 2 boxes over the duration of the project that'd be sweet!
stealth

Post by stealth »

thats a yes on the g/box fitting both 4g32 and the narrow 4g54 :D
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

ok, i'm digging up old ones again.

I just want to get together a shopping list. The stock 32 looks like it's starting to blow a head gasket or something else requiring work that i cant bothered doing to an engine that will only get pulled out anyway.

So:
TR magna engine (pref manual) incl airbox, MAF, ECU,
Wiring harness (to be butchered)
fuel pump (or am i better off getting an after market one?) and a pressure regulator
Exhaust manifold to cut the plate off of to get extractors made up.

then,
GH sigma timing cover, sump and water pump.
radiator
struts while i'm ripping stuff out of a GH
rear cross member to modify so suit narrow block 5sp.

Will the Magna clutch line up or will it need a different one.

then find someone to modify the manifold.

Have i missed anything?

I'm not going to hot the engine up yet. for the time being it will just be a stock magna donk seeing as the 32 is starting to go.
I'll probably get another head and tinker with that later.

We should sticky a how to with all this info so newbs like me don't keep asking the same questions :P I'd be willing to get photos to document the process.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sounds like you are going to have fun.
You don't need to get a custom manifold made up as extractors to suit a Scorpion bolt straight up.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Sigma mount on Galant crossmember - how i did it GB_BB4C (hey, wait a minute thats me)

http://www.sigma-galant.com/archive/mod ... highlight=
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

This is what i did in my Mate's GD Coupe.

GH Sigma engine and gearbox mounts (modified rear crossmember)
GH Sigma front struts
Sigma Astron I block with Astron II pistons (did this to get away with emissions regulations)
Magna head (dunno which one) with Sigma adjustable rockers due to a cam being installed
Sigma radiator
TN/TP Magna EFI inlet manifold (thermostat still at the back)(TR/TS wont fit between motor and strut tower)
Modified Plenum
TN/TP Magan ECU, can get out of an auto or manual it doeant matter
VL Commy/Camira EFI as a main fuel pump and a pre pump for the surge tank
Jap 5spd (GE/GH)

Should still be able to run a centre console as i did in my GD Wagon (2.6lt carby 5spd) the shifter sits a little further back in the console hole though. It will all depend on what model Sigma ya get you 5spd from as to where the shifter will be.
May also wanna change your diff aswell to one from a Scorpion, not just for brakes but also for fuel economy and strenght...

The TN/TP setup i had in my GB was simular and ran a Crow Cam 107701 (lumpyest off the shelf one they sell without going custom) and it ran fine. The TR/TS setup in my GH PWS with the same cam didnt run very well and had to go back to a standard cam.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

brendon

Post by brendon »

is this the kind of set up you are talking about.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_inf ... 548s0su3u4.

agreed it would look quite nice in any mitsu...
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Galant_GT0 wrote:You don't need to get a custom manifold made up as extractors to suit a Scorpion bolt straight up.
What brand? Can't say I've ever come across any that bolt straight in?
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

brendon wrote:is this the kind of set up you are talking about.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_inf ... 548s0su3u4.

agreed it would look quite nice in any mitsu...
they look sweet as! :shock:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Gnarly!, thanks heaps.

I'm considering just doing a complete engine swap to get it running and then fiddle with a good head later.

I'm gonna stroll down to Pick and Throwoverthefence today (it's only round the corner) and have a look-see at what's lying around down there.

As for the gearbox, the car was an auto so i have a sneaking suspicion the shifter hole in the floor is a little bigger.

I don't mind making minor adjustments as long as the centre console goes back in. The interior of the car is nearly all original and schmick and I'd like to keep it that way. 8-)
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Tj. wrote:As for the gearbox, the car was an auto so i have a sneaking suspicion the shifter hole in the floor is a little bigger.
They are bigger yes, but there roughly 50mm too far forward still.

Make sure you track down a manual centre console, to get the auto one back on it will take a lot of canablising (not worth wrecking a neat one!)

Nick.