dropped window - easy to fix?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
sam

dropped window - easy to fix?

Post by sam »

okay so i have no experience at all so i am mainly wondering how easy it would be do fix a dropped window [the crank aint' working]. i have a coupe and it is the rear driver's side one.
Chrysler Valiant Galant GC GL Hardtop 1975
75wagon
Admin

Re: dropped window - easy to fix?

Post by 75wagon »

Take the door trim off and have a look (I know it's not an actual door but what do you call it, rear side trim or something?).

See if the mechanism has come apart or just lose and needing to be put back together and re adjusted?

Worse case scenario is the glass holder (clamp at the bottom of the glass, if that's what the hardtops have? I don't know?) is rusted away. If this is the case you would need a new one.

Take the trim off and look, if you don't know what is wrong take a pic and post it up.
We will help if needed :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Dave has most of it. Seeing it is a coupe remove the back seat.completely (this is done but lifting the bottom swab and then undoing the two screws and lifting the rear seat. Once the seat is out you will need to remove the interior trim piece. This is done (now this is from memory so I hope is 100% (i did this 3 years ago) There is a chrome strika plate that is on the "B pillar" whihc you dont really have, you will need to remove the three screws that hold this on and then take the chrome piece off. I think you also need to remove the upper seat belt mount. Remove the winder and then the cover. you should now see the winding mechanism, if need be remove the passenger side to compare. There are 4 screws that hold mechanism in the panel, these also help adjust is, so dont just undo the working side.. ;) post up pics I will be able to help more when I see it.. :D should be easy enough to fix.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
woops

Post by woops »

If something is majorly broken you may have so probs getting replacement parts. Unfortunately the parts manual indicates that there is pretty much nothing interchangeable between the sedan and the coupe assembly. The coupe has completely different guides and regulator which makes the window change angle when going down instead of just going just straight down. You may be lucky and it is a simple fix. Here's an exploded pic of the GC coupe rear window winder to give you an idea. Maybe the GE scorp may have some parts which may come close to suiting if you can't find a coupe replacement. I know there is a coupe up here at the wreckers but don't know if the pieces are any good in at all.

Here's the GC sedan window to show how different everything is.

Also here is a pic of the coupe front window winder assembly i thought i'd chuck in while i was scanning in the other pages.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
sam

Post by sam »

cheers fellas for your help. gonna have to leave it till next weekend to take a looksy at but will keep you all updated.
sam

Post by sam »

:$ whoops must have fallen asleep there hahaha.

ok so it was fixed ages ago and yes it was DARN SIMPLE! with some brother help. all it was was that 'thingy' had come out of it's holder and was pretty much having fun just hanging there so all we had to do was to pop it back into the holder and lubricate to be sure of no further trouble. had heaps of fun though taking out the seats and door covers, wanted to keep going. only thing was that lost the spring for the handle :facepalm: LOL!