76 galant gear/steeringbox=83 lancer gear/steeringbox??

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
allentot

76 galant gear/steeringbox=83 lancer gear/steeringbox??

Post by allentot »

as the title says, is it the same???
galant gearboxes are pretty hard to find here in the Philippines.. :banh:
Last edited by allentot on Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: 76 galant gearbox = 83 lancer gearbox??

Post by oldn64 »

What rear wheel drive mitsu vehicles do you have in the phillipines? 83 lancer rear wheel drive? look like a small sigma?

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
allentot

Post by allentot »

mitsubishi lancer boxtype from 81-87... :D
and yes, it look likes a small sigma...
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Ok what I know is, the 1980-82 model lancers (square boxy non australian cars, look like a smaller sifgma/pulsar) in rwd config will have a gearbox that will mate to your motor without issue. The concern I have is that having not seen a 2wd version I cannot say whether the rear gearbox mount is something that will intergrate into your car. My suspicions are that it will as all manuals (workshop for gearboxes) suggest that the mounts are one of thre types (two of whihc the galants used) so I suspect you will not have any issues. Take a gearbox mount with you and have a look. but you should be good to go. There are three types of gearboxes in these cars, a 4wd version, a 5speed 2wd and the early ones had a 4speed 2wd (these were more in the 4G11 and 4G33 cars more then the others.) Good luck and have a good look.

Cheers

PS: The only ones I have seen played with in Australia have been 4wd turbo models....
caboonatlarge

Post by caboonatlarge »

Gearbox will mount fine, crossmember will be fine, only issue is goin from 4sp to 5sp as the bolt holes for the mount are further apart, can be fixed with a drill.

Dont think there are any 4wd boxtypes/EX lancers, never seen one ever or even heard of one, but would be awsome!!!Specially a 4wd GSR turbo one!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I was thinking the same thing, there were RWD Turbo Box types (2nd gen) but I am pretty sure the first AWD Lancer was the EVO in late 1993. The turbo boxy did use the SOHC 4G63 in the EX 2000 but most were 1800 4G62's. The engine designation and the Lancer name is about all it had in comon with AWD.
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Used to be a couple of EX turbo 4WD versions rallying in Oz. Do't know if they were 2litre or 1.8litre.
One in WA (Mal Crockenburg), and one with ACT rego. I have at least 1 photo of this latter one in action.

This body was the EX model. I pulled a set of twin downdraughts off a GSR version for my son's first LA about 12 years ago.
This particular undamaged car, was in Pick'n Payless in Blacktown, complete with disc brake rear end on trailing links, 5 speed etc.
We only took the carbs and rare double choke cable.

Roger
allentot

Post by allentot »

caboonatlarge wrote:Gearbox will mount fine, crossmember will be fine, only issue is goin from 4sp to 5sp as the bolt holes for the mount are further apart, can be fixed with a drill.

Dont think there are any 4wd boxtypes/EX lancers, never seen one ever or even heard of one, but would be awsome!!!Specially a 4wd GSR turbo one!
we have lots of 2nd gen lancers here in the P.I. with 4spd on it...its an SL model...
so would it fit perfectly?? :D
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Yes it will....
Galant_GTO wrote:I was thinking the same thing, there were RWD Turbo Box types (2nd gen) but I am pretty sure the first AWD Lancer was the EVO in late 1993. The turbo boxy did use the SOHC 4G63 in the EX 2000 but most were 1800 4G62's. The engine designation and the Lancer name is about all it had in comon with AWD.
The one I have seen was an import for racing (track not dirt) to me it look like it had been modified with a pajero box but I was not sure. Still looked sweet and went like a cut cat. Lots of fun. The guy who owned it moved to Darwin and took the car with him, I lost contact with him so not sure where the car or he is anymore. was interesting.

Cheers