Distributor part numbers - GC/GD ?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
davetrees

Distributor part numbers - GC/GD ?

Post by davetrees »

The dizzy in my GB is a T3T03874 (according to what is stamped on the side) ... which as far as I can figure out is actually what was used on the GC &/or GD ... ie. a Mitsubishi rather than Bosch distributor ?

(I have always had a suspicion that it was a GC/GD block & head, because it has a round exhaust ports and the GB 4G32s were squareport, I think ?)

Anyway .....

I just want to confirm the correct points & rotor button for it ... my GB factory manual only covers the Bosch distributor.

According to the Bosch online catalogue, the part numbers for the GC/GD are Rotor GM533 and Points GM216 (I assume the "M" is for Mitsubishi, seeing the ones listed for the GB Galant are "GB73" & "GB534", indicating a Bosch distributor ?)

If someone with a GC or GD could confirm would be appreciated, so I don't buy the wrong ones (or have to buy both just to be safe !!)

cheers

Dave
colta51

Re: Distributor part numbers - GC/GD ?

Post by colta51 »

the motor in my car now is out of my old gb and the dizzy in that is a t3t03875 but wen i went to get points thay gave me the wrong ones and i went back and i found that i needed la lancer points! so this can be confuseing???
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Thanks for that ..... the Lancer points etc are the same as specified for the GC/GD, so that's what I need by the sound of it. Looks like your GB may have had a dizzy transplant at some stage too !

(Actually, my GB is a quite late production one - March 74 build - so it may well have been in a transition period between the GB & GC seeing the GC came out June 74 I think ?)
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

GB's had Bosch and GB534 points., you probably should take the old ones with you cause there are two Mits types..... how come you havent gone electronic yet?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
colta51

Post by colta51 »

my gb was june 74! dose this make it the last of the gb's?
rob020

Post by rob020 »

i didnt think there was an electronic 4g32 dizzy?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

noooo but you can fit/modify one - no more points
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

they do sell 4g32 electronics, they are about 600 bucks though..
squidge

Post by squidge »

chain drive electronic where? not that Id bother....
colta51

Post by colta51 »

Torana68 wrote:noooo but you can fit/modify one - no more points
wood you use the guts of a nimbus dizzy to do this? iv tryd searching but couldnt find anything!
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

colta51 wrote:my gb was june 74! dose this make it the last of the gb's?
Would have to be damn close to it !
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:how come you havent gone electronic yet?
Maybe one day ..... I have very little time to do any work / modification / development on my car. There is nowhere within a couple of hour's drive that I can take it to get stuff done for me either.

Basically, I just compete in it & change the oil & check stuff between events (and there won't be much of that this year .... saving $$ for a 6 week trip to Europe later in the year). Big event coming up though - the BP Rally starts this Thursday evening :thumpsup:

Solved my points etc issue though - caught up with Dinta Officer at scrutineering for the BP today & he will sort the appropriate parts for me before the event (they are only to carry as spares "just in case" .... it's a 1600km event including some pretty remote country. Murphy's Law says that if I don't carry spares, I'll need them :) ).
Last edited by davetrees on Sat May 01, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

shuggy wrote:they do sell 4g32 electronics, they are about 600 bucks though..
You could put a Pertronix or similar in one for a LOT less than that !!
rob020

Post by rob020 »

is the pertronix the generally accepted method or is there a better way??
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Many of the older models don't have the original distributor still fitted, but they all (3 types) interchange.

GA's originally had GM210 contact set, GB/GC/GD's mostly Bosch GB534 except hardtops which had GM216 or use GH203. The 210 and 216 are quite different, the former being much smaller.....

Lancers all had Mitsu distributors, generally GM216/GH203.

I think Mitsu rotors are all the same, but condensors vary.

These are from memory, but I can check if I dig out the old catalogue..............

Roger
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

With a bit of surgery you can get other later model dizzys in there, but it depends on what exactly you want out of the car and how much you can do yourself/want to spend. If like myself when racing it is purely budget budget then oil change and service is all you really need to do. keep a check on the points and all should be good. Points are not that bad but again it depends on what exactly the goals for the car are...

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
rob020

Post by rob020 »

i just need something other than points...

but then again im pretty sure im gunna go distributerless using a vr sensor and a 36-1 crank pulley with a megajolt ignition only computer.... :thumpsup:

i did make up a simple(ish) schematic for a ignition box sort of device with a dwell extender circuit to run off the points before i saw the light... ill just try to computerfy it if anyone on here is a fan of points and ishandy with a soldering iron..
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

How far do you wish to go rob020? Full EFI or just electronic dizzy or electronic ignition? there is a level of doing things... ;)

Cheers
rob020

Post by rob020 »

need something boost friendly... happy with carby turbo for now but i need boost retardation :( i can pay to have it regraphed... but for nearly the same cost to me i could buy the megajolt and "regraph" it myself as much as i like...

any other suggestions for a turbo motor??

heres my circuit, i take no credit for it, is just 2 circuits i hacked together... cant find the originals at the moment... still looking...
rob020

Post by rob020 »

gosh.... why do i always do that!! i guess you can resize it yourself if anybodys interested in transitorising their points ignition... dwell extender is nice too

i havent built/tested this circuit myself, but if i cheap out on the megasquirt and just get my dizzy regraphed, i will be using it
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

ok I have a 24" monitor and am blind so that is so hard to read I am not going to try..... ;) (read I am probably older than you... hehe)

you have a couple of options....

1. later model mitsu dizzys can be of some assistance. (biggest thing is you will need to find one that car put your gear onto as yours drives your oil pump...
2. Hyuandai run mitsu motors in the earlier girls and these can be used instead of the above with same sort of mods...
3. Regraphing is only about $200 so not that bad.
4. cut the dizzy off and blank it off so it just runs the oil pump and go full Electronic ignition with chopper wheel for trigger.
5. toss the carby and go full EFI

there are a number of options but without clearing seeing your circuit I cannot give you any ideas of how well it would perform...

Cheers