Clutch

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
letmefknin

Clutch

Post by letmefknin »

So last week I'm bolting the flywheel onto the 2.6t motor and thinkin "Should I replace the clutch and pressure plate while this is all apart?" :wut:

"Plenty of meat left on the clutch plate.....NAH" (H)

The car has been mobile for 6 days now and I'm absolutely stoked with the new motor but (you can see where this is headed) the clutch has started to slip :facepalm: .
At this point I kick myself because it was to easy and obvious to do it whilst the whole thing was out of the car but Mr. Let's Get It On The Road couldn't wait!!

Obviously I can go and buy a standard 2.6 clutch and plate but I'm curious as to what other people might suggest as a more 'heavy duty' option?
Sugestions please:
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Clutch

Post by astronturbo77 »

i have a standard replacement behind my 2.6 turbo. it was fairly worn behind my hotted up n/a engine but i predict as soon as mine efi turbo otor goes it will slip. just go with a heavy duty repacement. and if your real worried get the step on the friction surface of you flywheel machined a bit more to put more pressure on your clutch plate.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

exedy ceramic button clutch FTW

i had my galant on a static skid, 4th gear, 10psi, then hit the nos... NO slippage at all :thumpsup:
Image Image
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Mine is fine @ 10psi, 15 in 4th and 5th is when it start to ger slippy. It will slip and then pick up once the torque dies of a bit further up the rev range.
What was the Exedy wiorth?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Is your 2.6 a wide or narrow block?
Borg or Jap box?

Cheers.
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Good point!!
Jap box.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

from memory, my exedy was mid $400's
cant remember the exact price, but that sounds familiar :)
Image Image
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

The reason I asked is because I have a 6 puc brass button sprung center clutch that was designed for the 2.6L US Starion Turbo's (stage 3 clutch).
It will fit on a 2.6L wide block flywheel, behind a Jap box BUT it requires a bit of engineering (the bolt holes and dowels are different).

I bought them for US$300-

Cheers.
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Are all clutches the same for the Narrow block / Jap box combination?
Shame I can't ask for a kit to suit a 74 GC with a 2.6t and 5 speed :roll:
I'm thinking I may have to look at early Magna kits as the flywheel came off a TN or TP :think:
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i use the clutch brand extreme.. thay are made in adelaide and are not to dear and seem to work fine :)
not sure about ther turbo clutchs tho?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Dropped the box at lunchtime yesterday, the clutch is not holding up too well as it has delaminated on the pressure plate side.
More dissapointing was the amount of oil coming from the input shaft seal inside the bell housing of the gearbox.
This has then wept onto the pressure plate and soaked into that side of the clutch plate causing slippage andthe delamintion 8o|
Hopefully we'll be back in action today. :thumpsup:
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

to go a different route than everyone else, instead of getting a bitier plate i went overkill on the diaphram and found a place that fitted a 1200kg holden diaphram to the sigma housing.
it only cost me near $200 about 6 years ago and is still quite driveable and gentle on the drivetrain, where a puk clutch isnt.
lifted the rears off the dyno, does good skids and doesnt slip with over 300 rwhp at 22PSI on the old motor.

the downfall is its bloody heavy under foot.

just putting it out there as an option.
Insert witty one liner here -->