GB versus GD Who is the winner

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
lchilds82

GB versus GD Who is the winner

Post by lchilds82 »

Hi guys i want to start a debate over which model Galant is the coolest, GA/GB or GD/GC
let the debate begin
4GB63t
75wagon
Admin

Re: GB versus GD Who is the winner

Post by 75wagon »

That's too easy.

In my opinion
The single headlight front looks cleaner and less fussy looking then the GB or GD. Although all is forgiven when a hardtop grill is fitted to a GD.
GA/GB's are too short in the front. Although I do like the back of them.
GC sedans and hardtops have better looking taillights then GD's
GA,GB,GC,GD wagons have a better looking rear then the sedans or hardtops.

So summing up the coolest shape of all is the GC wagon. It combines the best shaped front with the best shape back.

To back up my arguement...

lchilds82, nice idea for a topic, sorry to finish it for you so early... :P

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

GC

that is all
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

GD hardtop and gb sedan
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

GC Hardtop, the GD tail lights are ugly. The GA/GB's are too short but I would like a Hardtop. My next project is a GC Wagon if I don't find a L200 first that is.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

GC Coupe :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

definitely a gc coupe ~_^ ...i didnt spend all that time searching for one for no reason :P
kodos

Post by kodos »

Definitely GA/B, better lines and old school cool
GTO is the coolest coupe too of course :thumpsup:
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
woops

Post by woops »

The GD have ugly tail lights and the GA has those ugly rectangular headlights so thumbs down for those two.

It's a toss up between the GB sedan and the GC coupe. The GC has the slicker sports car styling but the GB sedan has that classic 70's car styling. The GA-GB are about 50kg lighter than the GC-GD. The GB has the best interior with a much more basic cleaner look. The GC has the tacho location but has those horrible timber decals throughout.

Pretty close to the same suspension and drive line between the different models but the GC-GD is a bit easier to get parts for.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

GD A57 Sports Pack Option, with a GC single head light front conversion :thumpsup:
Image Image
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

astronturbo77 wrote:GD hardtop and gb sedan

Close - but GC hardtop and GB sedan :thumpsup:

I've owned GA sedan, GB sedan. GC wagon. GE sedan, GH sedan. GJ sedan (not in that order).

Best car to drive is the GA/GB

Best car to do engine conversions is the GC 8-)

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's another reason why the GC wagon is the coolest. I will admit there is a better option, but it wouldn't be standard. A GD wagon with a hardtop grill, there I said it.
The front is from the later model, and front the windscreen back it's the early model. That combines the best of both model shapes, how can you get cooler then that?
woops wrote:The GC has the tacho location but has those horrible timber decals throughout.
:facepalm: I like them. If you don't like them, but the poverty pack. The woodgrain came in the GL option, hardtop, and sport pack too.. I've got a plain dash amongst my spares.

There is something I have noticed in this thread, everyone have voted for exactly what they own :lol:
So if that is the theory, then what model is the most common on the site, because that will probably win.
EVL076 wrote:GD A57 Sports Pack Option, with a GC single head light front conversion :thumpsup:
They asked what's the coolest, not the quickest.

Cool doesn't need to be fast...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kodos

Post by kodos »

I dont have a GA or B but they are most definitly the coolest :thumpsup:
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

^^^Agreed^^^
For me the GC/GD are just too big.
I prefer the GA to the GB too - you dont have folks admiring your "Datsun 1600" :|
The original (Jap) version of the rectangular headlight front end was super-cool :)

T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah see thats cool - however i believe he wanted to know the best that stil exists :P
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

i personally really like the ga/gb 2 door alot...but i think it has to have guard mirrors to look good (which are illegal in aus)...they just dont look the same with the mirrors on the doors...and i dont like the dash setup in them...but thats just my opinion :P
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

In terms of looks, GB wagon. In terms of a better car, I've found the GD is way more comfortable and driveable. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GA/GB Galants didn't even have adjustable front seats did they?
woops

Post by woops »

Shifta wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but the GA/GB Galants didn't even have adjustable front seats did they?
My GB has the non-reclining seats but i find them to be at a comfortable angle. The other thing i like in the GB is the non-retracting front seatbelts. The fixed seat belt holds you in the seat better than any other seatbelt apart from a full race harness.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
stealth

Post by stealth »

hands down a GB COUPE ive only ever seen one in aus but there more common in the
states but there the best early mitsi by far
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

75wagon wrote:They asked what's the coolest, not the quickest.
Cool doesn't need to be fast...

Dave...

lol... i like the GD tail lights more than the GC
i like the GC front more than the GD...

so naturally, GC front on a GD :P
Image Image
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

GB Sedan, that's why i have two of them. Would love to get my hand's on a GB Coupe though.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

A GTO if allowed (with the honeycomb style grill). If not a 16L GS hardtop. I actually really like the dash design in these unlike the GB sedan . A shame they never imported these and the GTO to Australia. Then followed by a GC Hardtop.

Edit: after the GTO would be the Galant FTO GSR if we are considering all Galants. Then the 16L.
Last edited by Nath76LA on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 Galant Hardtop
webby

Post by webby »

GA-GB are too small imo, plus they look all scrunched up and weird
GC's look too much like miniature VJ Valiant's, mini VH would have been ok but VJ's are ugly so it doesn't work
GD's are cool
But I like overseas GE's the best lol
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
colta51

Post by colta51 »

gaz914 wrote:
astronturbo77 wrote:GD hardtop and gb sedan

Close - but GC hardtop and GB sedan :thumpsup:

I've owned GA sedan, GB sedan. GC wagon. GE sedan, GH sedan. GJ sedan (not in that order).

Best car to drive is the GA/GB

Best car to do engine conversions is the GC 8-)

cheers
Gaz
i wood hav to agree i think the ga/gbs handel heaps better standed than the gc/gds i do a lot of driving thru the adelaide hills and my ga and old gb flogs my gc and gd i had even my old gd hardtop didnt cum close!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
SE Wagon

Post by SE Wagon »

Having owned a GB sedan for 13 years, I'm probably a little biassed - I quite liked my GB.

From the front, I think the GB looks the best of the Australian Galants, although I think the GTO creams them all. In every which way, from all directions. But I'll continue to consider only the Aus delivered Galants.

I agree with the GA/GB tail-light comments. It's like they ran out of development funds and had the cleaner sketch something on her tea break. I think the GC sedan tail lights are the best of the bunch. I don't like the rear treatment of any of the wagons. Sorry.

Interior, I prefer the GC/GD dash to the earlier version, but other than that I don't think there's a significant difference in the interiors. It's like all the extra bulk of the GC/GD is purely in the panels, although the later models have more room under the bonnet for engine conversions.

If sticking with the Saturn engine, GB. If I was planning to transplant in something larger, I'd take a GC/GD - whichever way I went, I'd want GD twin headlights with GC tail lights.

Edit: agree with above comments on handling of my GB. Very forgiving. I should be dead, given some of the silly things I did in that car, but it protected me to the end. I survived the roll-over, but it didn't. :(
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
kodos

Post by kodos »

I survived the roll-over, but it didn't. :(
My first Gal met the same end, poor girl
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

its looking like the GB's might have it here,
but more than anything this little discussion has pretty much just proven that each to there own, everybody like different things i guess.
Im a GB fan (H) lol to me they just look tougher
4GB63t
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

This thread should of had a poll :roll: .
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

I find the GA/GB too boxy (saying that i do actually like the Datsun 1600's.....please dont delete my account, ide put an evo engine in it instead of an SR20 or FJ20).
GC is my favourite, I think the single head lights (although mine now has 6 lights across the front....eat my 660w of driving light power 8o| ).
The GC just seems to flow so nicely and yes the tail lights of the GC are definately the best.
Although I do have a 4 door i would very much like a 2door i think they look fantastic, however as many people have said.....GTO trumps all.

I get a lot of people go "hey man i like ur datsun 200B" so i reply with "how many 200B's had single headlights?"

My vote GC
:D

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

When I was a kid my mates parents had a GC wagon, I hated it thought it looked gay (it was stock though).
When I had my GB I hated the look of GC's and GD's.
I went 9 years without a Galant and found mine. The look has grown on me to the point that now I'm not fond of the look of GB's or even the GC/GD sedans.
My point is you get used to looking at what you have and grow to like it.

To me my wife looks like a super model, I don't care what you guys think, I'm happy. :D

Dave...