play in steering?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
colta51

play in steering?

Post by colta51 »

how do i get rid of the play in my steering i hav tryd ajusting it but nuthing happens?
is my s box stufft?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
tandanus

Re: play in steering?

Post by tandanus »

Depends where the play is in the system...
Get under there while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth.
When I did mine I replaced everything BUT the Steering box - tight as now :)
Worst offenders seem to be idler arm bush, tie rod ends and drag link (in that order) - assuming the ball joints are OK.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i can safely say its not the idler arm thats new but i will hav a look cheers!
wats new tie rod ends and drag link worth?
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

When my father rallied his Lancer he got a brass bush made up for the idler,
drilled hole put grease nipple in the side, couldn't get any rubbers. My guess
is it's the idler arm, saw one on ebay around $80.00 plus postage. :\
Oh another thing, as the above post get someone to turn the steering-wheel
and check for movement in the chassis rail beside the steering box can get to
the point where the steering box works a bit and the chassis rail moves more.
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i got brand new ideler arm and ball joints of ebay for $15.00 n.o.s
i like ya idear with the brass bushes but i wood make them out of the steel
from a old shoker and turn them up on a lave.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

colta51 wrote:how do i get rid of the play in my steering i hav tryd ajusting it but nuthing happens?
is my s box stufft?
What do you mean, nothing happens?
If I adjust mine up it takes all the slack out of it, but makes the steering really heavy.
From memory the adjuster is like that on your rocker arm adjustment? It's located on the top side of your steering box. Is that what you are adjusting?

If you un-adjust it, does it make the play worse?
As said above get someone to turn the steering wheel with you looking from underneath. Make sure your wheels are on car ramps so there is load on the steering, don't just do it while it's jacked up... They may seem really obvious, but I just want to make sure you know.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colta51

Post by colta51 »

like that on your rocker arm adjustment? It's located on the top side of your steering box. Is that what you are adjusting?
yes
yea gets sloppyer one way and not much better the otherway?
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

are you adjusting it in accordance with a workshop manual? do not make the idler bushes out of steel, just by nylon ones if you feel the urge.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

colta51 wrote:
like that on your rocker arm adjustment? It's located on the top side of your steering box. Is that what you are adjusting?
yes
yea gets sloppyer one way and not much better the otherway?
Something must be loose or worn. Sounds like the box could be at the point where there is no adjustment left, or something is worn inside it pretty bad.
I'd still try to eliminate other things first.
Have you checked that all the bolts that hold the steering box and idler arm are tight?
Have you checked your tie rod ends for slack? You said above that you put a new idler arm and joints in but just check them anyway.
Check your wheel bearings as well.
If all that stuff checks out, you may have to rebuild or get another steering box.

Just a thought, you're not comparing you car to one that has rack and pinion steering are you? You'll never get that feeling form a earlier steering set ups.
My steering is a bit sloppy, my nephew who normally drives a new Corolla drove my car and said, that car has the heaviest and worst steering he's ever driven with.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colta51

Post by colta51 »

Just a thought, you're not comparing you car to one that has rack and pinion steering are you? You'll never get that feeling form a earlier steering set ups.
My steering is a bit sloppy, my nephew who normally drives a new Corolla drove my car and said, that car has the heaviest and worst steering he's ever driven with.
naa it was fine wen i got the car but after the adelaide cruze it loosend up!
i hav lookt under and the play is in the box!!! everything else is good as new
so anyone rebuilt a sbox before???
A57C

Post by A57C »

i adjusted my steering box, but not too much as it made the steering wheel hard to turn
eventually it'll run out of adjustment. i think these galant boxes are just going to wear out
it'd be great if you guys could find a shop that could rebuild them ...
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

probably not doable, if they are not adjusted (as in left loose) you wear the gears, then you have to move the gears closer together (on a taper is the easiest way to explain it) , if you make them too tight you wear the gears and have to etc etc....there is only so much adjustment before the gears are trashed. Once that happens the box gets tight off centre as you have worn the dead ahead bit out, new bushes and barings wont fix that.This is not something you do every other week, maybe at 80,000 miles of normal use. USE the $%$##@# manual and do it right once! if your a clutz dont frig with it! brakes and steering should be done by people with the training knowledge and ecxperience to do it. If you see a Galant in a wrecker with a good box buy it, or you will eventually have no car to drive.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
colta51

Post by colta51 »

yea i dont drive it much i will probly pull the old one out inspect it and probly change it
with a nuther ga/gb one if its stufft
thanks for the tips!
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i pulld the adjusting bolt out and replaced it and the lock nut as i found thay were threded
put it in and adjusted it now its heaps better :wut: not perfict but hey im happy! :D
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Torana68 wrote:are you adjusting it in accordance with a workshop manual? do not make the idler bushes out of steel, just by nylon ones if you feel the urge.
I agree.....definately not steel.......lol
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
516MA

Post by 516MA »

to check ur tie rod ends:

Putt front of car in air and wigle the wheels from side to side (trying to point wheel left and right) but dont yank just wigle if wheel moves without steering wheel moving then tie rod ends are stuffed :thumpsup: learnt it today at work :$

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

also, if you jack up one side, say the left hand front wheel, and leave the right hand. and you are able to move the wheel left n right. same deal