4G54 into GB

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
16LGS

4G54 into GB

Post by 16LGS »

G'day all. I'm about to fit a 2.6 Astron 1 into my GB. The engine I have is a jap block 2.6 manual, which is of course wider than the auto. In previous conversions I have used a 2.6 auto block, and the narrower bell housing gearbox (from a 2.0l manual car). But this time I'd like to use the maual block that I have. Has anybody done one of these and can tell me that it will or wont fit?

many thanks

Cheers
DRS
Mitsumaniac
75wagon
Admin

Re: 4G54 into GB

Post by 75wagon »

The motor will fit the same as the narrow, but the problem is where the shifter for the wide block gearbox comes up. I believe it comes up where the handbrake is.
Look at this post on oldschool.co.nz. He fixes the shifter location problem and there are pics to show what he has done. This is a top quality build. Read the whole thing, it's worth it.
http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 17&t=13789

Hope this helps...
Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

I think some Scorps had manual narrow blocks (?) so check first.
I believe a wide block can be done but its a very tight fit in the tunnel.
The issue of the gearstick is a matter of choice of box.
^^^ Nice link BTW ^^^ :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

It will fit, will be a tight squeeze though.
Was the galant origionally manual or auto? If auto you will have plenty of room in the trans tunnel, if it was manual you will not be able to remove the gearbox without unbloting the engine and moving it forward. It will still fit though.
As for the gearstick it will sit a bit further back but still usable.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75wagon wrote:The motor will fit the same as the narrow, but the problem is where the shifter for the wide block gearbox comes up. I believe it comes up where the handbrake is.
I have never done the conversion myself, but was told by Ron from 'Coltspeed' that the gearstick and handbrake clash and I'd have to relocate my handbrake. I took his word as Gospel, If I'm wrong that's good I suppose. :thumpsup:
But I do like the thought that you can convert the shifter to sit in the standard hole. After all that's where the car was designed to have it, and is probably the most comfortable.

Dave.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

this is exactly the same as my LA lance mate which is smaller than a ga/gb engine bay. the wide block fits into a manual chassis but the gear stick is further back and will hit the handbrake when i second or 4th. you will have to cut the tailshaft if you use a gn long extension housing wideblock 5sp and use the sigma yoke.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
leoca

Post by leoca »

astronturbo77 wrote:this is exactly the same as my LA lance mate which is smaller than a ga/gb engine bay. the wide block fits into a manual chassis but the gear stick is further back and will hit the handbrake when i second or 4th. you will have to cut the tailshaft if you use a gn long extension housing wideblock 5sp and use the sigma yoke.
Same prob with my LC.
If someone could come up with the solution let us know!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Are the GN extention housing's longer than the GJ/GK one's?
In my GB (when it was running) had a 2.6 wideblock and a GK Jap 5spd. The gearstick came close to the handbreak but it didn't touch it.
My GH PWS is currently running a wideblock Jap 5spd which has had the gear selector shaft switched over from a GE/H narrow 5spd making it a gearbox for a wideblock with a short extention housing bringing the shifter up in the origional position.

ImageImageImageImage
This will give you some idea of the difference between a GE/H and GJ/K extention housing.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

16LGS

Post by 16LGS »

Fantastic, thanks for your help guys. Its an Auto body and I have found a GH wide block gearbox so we should be sweet. Engine is coming togthere as we speak, will probably be a 6 month build or so....will try and post some pics.

Hooroo
DRS
Mitsumaniac
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Its not that hard to change the gear shift into the forward position
I have a narrow housing which I fitted the larger splined shafts for the 2.6 and had to use
the extention housing from the wide pattern ( it has the larger tail shaft bush )
I just removed the gear shift fitting from the narrow box and fitted them into the
wide box extention housing -- no problem
cheater
A112H

Post by A112H »

My first car ever was a GA with 2.0 Astron, 5 speed
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

the gn box shifter hits the handbrake when its up but not when down. sway bar hits sump. can either move forward or lower it. my biggest prob is the radiator. stock outlet is at dizzy.needs to be wider than stock radiator. depending on motor oil cap may hit brace on b onnet.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car