1971 colt voltage regulator

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
awiseman1

1971 colt voltage regulator

Post by awiseman1 »

hey guys, is there anyone out there that can help me with the wiring for a volt reg.? i have finished wiring under the hood but my problem is that the wiring harness was cut out of the car and the wiring from my diagram (engine harness) dosent color match the colors to the volt reg. can somebody help!!!!
75wagon
Admin

Re: 1971 colt voltage regulator

Post by 75wagon »

First thing, Welcome to the site.
Post some pics up and a small brief story in introducing.

Ok, exactly what car do you have, and what voltage regulator do you have? (in other words is the car a colt or is the voltage regulator from the colt?)
With the exact model of car and where the regulator is from, someone, maybe even me might be able to help you with wiring diagrams for both so you can work it out.
Where you are located may help, as different countries have different wiring diagrams for there cars sometimes.

Dave.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
awiseman1

Post by awiseman1 »

thanks dave, i have a 71 colt, A53H model. the car was made in japan however it was shipped here to the states. im not sure if it is the factory regulator. im assuming it is made by echulin. the issue is that according to my wiring diagram the wires are suppost to be 2 blue wires, 2 yellow wires, 1 black, 1 white for a total of 6. on the regulator i have 1 wh/bl, 1 wh/red, 1 blk, 1 pink, 1 yellow, and 1 white. now keep in mind that im making a new harness because the someone cut the entire harness out of the car. i mean everything including plugs! so i dont even have a plug on the regulator. in the wiring diagram it shows exactly where the wires go ant they are labeled IG, A,F,L,N,E. my factory altenator is marked on the cast as well, but i have no physical markings or stamps on the regulator to match up. i went to a few local auto part stores to see if i can order a new one and hope it is a little different but they cant get them. i will try to post a picture of it in a bit, but let me know if it is still needed. thanks a bunch for the reply
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

awiseman1 wrote:thanks dave, i have a 71 colt, A53H model. the car was made in japan however it was shipped here to the states.

is it a Dodge Colt? or a Mitsubishi Galant ? difference being which manual I look at to see if I can work anything ot

im not sure if it is the factory regulator. im assuming it is made by echulin.

probably should be a Mitsubishi one but shouldnt matter
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
awiseman1

Post by awiseman1 »

it is a mitsubishi. and update! i found out who makes that brand of voltage regulator and it seems that it isnt the right one so i have ordered one and it should be here soon.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

awiseman1 wrote:it is a mitsubishi. and update! i found out who makes that brand of voltage regulator and it seems that it isnt the right one so i have ordered one and it should be here soon.
yep knew it was wrong... but are you sure your car isnt a DODGE? doesnt say DODGE anywhere? no badges, not on the glovebox? would be odd for MITS to send Mits Galants there when they are selling them as DODGE's :think: ... pickies!
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
awiseman1

Post by awiseman1 »

well someone told me that if the stamp under the hood read A51H-xxxxx it is a dodge, if it is A53H-xxxxx its a mitsu. mine is the 53. it has colt badges on it but nothing that says dodge. only a plaque under the hood that says made in japan, mitsu motor corp, imported for dodge. i dont care either way honestly, i love the car, i would just like to know. i dont have any papers on the car yet so i dont know how it will come up at the DMV. whats nice about the car is that it has all the chrome trim i.e, windows, gutters, hood, trunk, and bottom trim. i even have all 4 of the original hub caps.
on a different note, i tore the motor dowm last night and its junk. the engine has been rebuilt, the crank has been turned and it spun #1 rod bearing. bad! all of my top compression rings were broke in multipe spots and damaged the cylinder walls. i dont think its worth rebuilding. have any ideas on some fairly cheap swaps that will give me some power? i really want to go 4G63 but they are really expensive now.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

In AUS the cheap swap is the Astron (2.0 4G52, 2.6 4G54).
Cheap but heavy. If you get a narrow block one you will probably be able to bolt it up to your 4 speed. How cheap is that !
4G63T or 4G63BT would be my preferred option, but NOT cheap.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

awiseman1 wrote:well someone told me that if the stamp under the hood read A51H-xxxxx it is a dodge, if it is A53H-xxxxx its a mitsu. mine is the 53. it has colt badges on it but nothing that says dodge. only a plaque under the hood that says made in japan, mitsu motor corp, imported for dodge.
right its a DODGE, they have a different wiring harness to Mitsubishi/Chrysler ones , its why I asked. Its probable that the colours are the same but not too smart not to use the correct book.When you get the new regulator pop back and Ill look.
4G6 seem cheaper there than here, start looking for a Carb 4G6 anything, EFI will just add cost. (4G62 would be good unless you want to upgrade brakes etc.)
Roger