Hubcaps - how hard to find and how much?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Shifta

Hubcaps - how hard to find and how much?

Post by Shifta »

Hey guys,

If I was more organised I'd have a picture to show you but for now hopefully a description will help. In the shed I have a set of hubcaps which I'm pretty sure were off an early 1970ish GA Galant Jap spec. They are a full wheel, silver cap with the word Colt in the middle. You can see the caps in some of the brochure pics in the brochure thread :
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 68&start=0

So anyway, I'm going to be selling them to a guy who has a 60's Colt with 13 inch wheels and even though the caps are not original for his car, it will still look the goods. The problem I have is I'm not sure what to charge him. My first cap I bought from WA for $20 and a mate recently got me another one for $25 at the Gawler swap meet. The others I paid $10 each for from memory. So for 4 of them they've cost me $65. So how hard are they to get and what are they worth do you think? I'll be happy to get my money back but not sure if I'm handing over a rare item or not!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
75wagon
Admin

Re: Hubcaps - how hard to find and how much?

Post by 75wagon »

I would suppose the first question is do you like them?
Because if you ask to much you may have to keep them...
I really don't know what they are worth. But they would be rare.

Full metal original hubcaps in good nick and being a set. Are they a perfect set? Like same colouring and in good nick?
4 together are worth more then one on it's own.

Mate, a stab in the dark, but I'd start at $250 for a perfect set, and drop the price for anything less then perfect.....
How does that sound, anyone?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Mate, a stab in the dark, but I'd start at $250 for a perfect set, and drop the price for anything less then perfect.....
How does that sound, anyone?[/quote]

crikey you could buy a car with them for that! they are available NOS in the states ($30 ish depending on the seller), not rare and who wants them anyway? 13" mags are cheap, youd get a set with near new tyres for that
$20 each anymore and they will be yours for some time.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Maybe I was looking at the wrong set of caps.
Are you talking these ones?

I haven't seen these for years.
Are they common? and yes it was a stab in the dark.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Torana68 wrote:Mate, a stab in the dark, but I'd start at $250 for a perfect set, and drop the price for anything less then perfect.....
How does that sound, anyone?
crikey you could buy a car with them for that! they are available NOS in the states ($30 ish depending on the seller), not rare and who wants them anyway? 13" mags are cheap, youd get a set with near new tyres for that
$20 each anymore and they will be yours for some time.[/quote]
Well there you go, $30 new ay? Is that each?
They'd still look better then plastic supercheap hubcaps.
I don't mind them. But, no I don't want any.
But I suppose to someone who want original mitsubishi stuff they'd be desirable.

People wonder why I'd bother with my twin carb set-up. I paid a lot of money to get them. Cause I wanted them.

Someone might want these hubcaps.... you never know.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Well there you go, $30 new ay? Is that each?

each OZ and I would think if you knew someone there you could get them cheaper PLUS FREIGHT
But I suppose to someone who want original mitsubishi stuff they'd be desirable.

yep but you can pick them up now and then for not much, or buy NOS ones, you can get the Aust Chrysler ones and the trim rings NOS as well if look hard enough

Someone might want these hubcaps.... you never know.[/quote]

someone might but how many restored A51 Galants are there? ever seen one? if there was 3 id be surprised so the number of cars needing them as opposed to the number of hubcaps means they arnt worth a lot, especially if they are not mint, no damage etc
but why bother as mags were pretty much dealer options and are beter looking and a tad wider :D
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
colta51

Post by colta51 »

'how many restored A51 Galants are there? ever seen one? if there was 3 id be surprised'

well im restoring one and yea thay are rare but thay are out there!
iv got the colt caps and i thort thay wood be worth big $$$ but i must be wrong???
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks for the info guys. Here's a picture of one of the caps and also another one of a centre cap I picked up the other day. Any idea what the centre cap is off?

colta51

Post by colta51 »

Shifta wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Here's a picture of one of the caps and also another one of a centre cap I picked up the other day. Any idea what the centre cap is off?

the one in the bottem pik is the same as myn!!! (also a51)
but i love the other ones you got if no one buys them let me no!!!!!!!!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

The top one is A51 (quarter vent model galant) other one is the old colt (1100) type cap, not a galant cap (unless maybe a poverty pack drum brake thing had them)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I thought the top hubcap was "full trim" and the lower might be "pov pack centre cap"?? I would love a set of the lower ones for my car.

Cheers
Jason
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

I don't think the centre cap is off an 1100 - they all seem to be plain caps on the 60's cars. Maybe it is a version of the A51 then?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Torana68 wrote:The top one is A51 (quarter vent model galant) other one is the old colt (1100) type cap, not a galant cap (unless maybe a poverty pack drum brake thing had them)
You may be right about the quarter vent models having them (I expect you know more about the A51 and A52 than I do), but the ones in the photos are also on cars that dont have quarter vents (brochure).
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

thats cause they are Jap spec Galants post 1/4 vent that we didnt get (same as GA).
Roger
awiseman1

Post by awiseman1 »

i have a full trim colt and i have the full caps like the top one.
woops

Post by woops »

If you take a look at the brochures tread the US dodge colt have the top hubcap on their hardtop, sedan and wagon and the bottom one is on their 2-door coupe. I had a look more closely at the original brochure and they are definitely the ones shown and for both of the different generations of dodge colts. They may have came out in different models elsewhere around the world but this is a confirmation on one location the may have come from.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Cool mate, all makes sense now! Cheers :)