Cams for 4G32

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75wagon
Admin

Cams for 4G32

Post by 75wagon »

Does anybody know which cam shafts are best to run in a 4G32?
I've heard the No.5 is best.
I was looking a while ago at what I have and found a few even a no.8.
How many are there? and can anyone list the most desirable ones to the least?
Does anyone have the specs for the original mitsubishi numbering?
I was planning on putting the no.5 in my car but can't remember what the other ones I have are. I'll have to look again, but any info would be greatly appreciated.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Torana68

Re: Cams for 4G32

Post by Torana68 »

dont spose you did a search on here or the old site? unless you have $4K+ to spend forget 4 and 5, you have more chance of a date with Kirsten Dunst than finding a 2 or 3, 1 is std, do a search ... new and old site.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote:Does anybody know which cam shafts are best to run in a 4G32?
I've heard the No.5 is best.
I was looking a while ago at what I have and found a few even a no.8.
There is no "best" cam .... it depends on the purpose, and the rest of the car & engine package.

For rally use, a proper #5 is traditionally the best choice IF you are running similar specs to the 1970s "works" cars. It would probably be a **** of a thing for street use though. They are like rocking horse poo anyway.

Cam profiles have to be designed/selected as part of an overall package (engine/head/inlet/exhaust/gearbox/diff/etc) .... just bunging a "hot cam" in a car is usually a WOFTAM.

... and WTF is a "No.8" ?? Not a Mitsubishi factory spec cam, I suspect.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I understand all of that....
Is there or is there not numbering to the original fittment camshafts?
Does the numbering on these camshafts refer to their profile like what model or year they were fitted?
In other words, pollution control and the like.
Am i on the right track?
I'm not referring to the camshaft numbering from after market suppliers that use the numbering in stages that refer to how wild the grind is.
All of the motors I have are out of standard cars that have not been modified.
So the cams in these motors would not be high lift or aggressive.
all of them have standard carbies standard exhausts and no head work.
They all ran smoothly with no problem.

So are the numbers on the cams I'm referring to a Mitsubishi code and if that is the case which one of these is most suitable to use with no porting work, or any other modifications other then Twin Solex Mukinis with standard jets and Extractors and a 2 inch system?

I've spoken to a guy who been rallying these things for years and he rattled off all the standard cams that are worth having. I asked him about regrinding and he advised me against it. Saying certain original cams are better then regrinding as there is not enough meat on the lobes. To get the lift required the cams end up being so small in profile that the valve train ends up running at less then satisfactory angles.
He (John) said that if I am to get a ground cam it should be from a blank. He recomended The No.5 (original) and another. He said they would be the best I could get for my application. I just can't remember what the other one was.
I was after originally the specs for the original cam fitted to the GSII galant from Japan that my carbies were originally fitted to. After that I was going to get the disributor re-grapged to match. I have a book that quotes the lift durations of this cam.
John told me it was a waste of time and that I should just use the originals as I would never get the same profiles as the original GSII cam because I don't have enough info for a cam grinder to copy it.
Therefore it would be a guess and possibly a profile that would not work well in my application.

Thus the advise given.
Just wish i could remember the other no. he told me.

It's not a race car, just want it to rev right and have a little bit of pull is all.

My Old GB galant had another set of these carbies and even as an auto would leave stock manual geminis for dead. I'm just after similar performance.

Hope someone can help me if not I'll have to chase John up again if I can find him that is.
Thanx
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

I have always used the no. 6 cam (GD with egr valve) It has the same lift and timing as the no. 2 (4G32S) except i have an ajustable cam sprocket to get the timing right. I ran this in a motor that had factory twin carbs ported and polished head with o/s stainless valves balanced bottom end with 1.5mm o/s pistons and had lighter springs in the dissy .
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't think I've got one of those.
I think Ive got 5 or 6 cams.
I damaged one when a valve spring broke and pieces gouged the middle of the cam.
I've got a 5 ( I put that aside to go back in)
but I'll have to check the rest.
Thanx for the info
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote: So are the numbers on the cams I'm referring to a Mitsubishi code and if that is the case which one of these is most suitable to use with no porting work, or any other modifications other then Twin Solex Mukinis with standard jets and Extractors and a 2 inch system?
Probably the cam from the GS would be most appropriate ? ie. the cam that the twin-carb Galants (& Lancer GSR?) came with originally ? From memory, that's the #2 or #3. The number should be stamped on the back end of the cam.

Good luck finding one though .... for a motor like yours, possibly an off-the-shelf aftermarket grind from a decent cam supplier might be the most practical way to go ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What does this number mean?

No.5 with 2 dots cast on the side.
There is none stamped on the end.

On the other side is this
S (just out of view), D28, W10

I thought the on this meant it was a 5. Am I right?
Or is this cam from somewhere else?
... and WTF is a "No.8" ?? Not a Mitsubishi factory spec cam, I suspect.
Maybe it's the cam out of the motor in my car. It's an import. Had to take the car to an RTA inspection station to get the engine checked as the prefix in the number was never for Australian use. I was lucky enough to buy the engine that was in another car so I only had to prove that a car had been registered in NSW with one of these motors before. Otherwise they weren't going to allow it.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote: I thought the on this meant it was a 5. Am I right?
No, unfortunately - those are just casting numbers I think.

The Mitsubishi #5 cam has a "5" stamped (not cast) into the rear end face (as do the #2, #3, #4 etc)

Maybe it changed for GC onwards ? I'm not sure if the #5 was ever a Galant cam as such anyway ... they were mainly associated with the works Lancer rally cars.

(I wonder if the Aussie-built cars have different cams to the Jap ones, eg. from a local supplier ? Were the engines built here, or imported & bolted in ?)
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

As dave said they are casting numbers. Here is a no 5[img][IMG]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3520/md005927r.jpg[/img]
[/img]
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Ah, you guys have cleared that up for me, thanx.
That cam has no stamp in the end.
don't know what it is?
One of the motors I've got is out of a GB, that would most likely have a stamped no.?
I'll pull them all out 2moro.

Thanx again for the help.

I've owned these things for years but never really done any motor stuff. Only ever worried about how they look.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just checked out what I have.
I've got 2 cams with 6 stamped in and 2 with no stamp at all.
I've got the one in the car but couldn't be buggered pulling it out just to see what it is.

Anyone got any ideas on who to contact about an off the shelf cam(possibly a no.2)?
What should I pay for one?
I have always used the no. 6 cam (GD with egr valve) It has the same lift and timing as the no. 2 (4G32S) except i have an ajustable cam sprocket to get the timing right. I ran this in a motor that had factory twin carbs ported and polished head with o/s stainless valves balanced bottom end with 1.5mm o/s pistons and had lighter springs in the dissy .
Does anyone know if an adjustable cam sprocket is still available for one of these, and again some idea of cost would be good?

I've spent too much on the car already and I don't want to get to carried away.
Plus the wife has the shits with how much I'm spending on it.

Thanx again for any knowledge and advice, it is not going to waste..
kodos

Post by kodos »

Cheater can make a vernier cam sprocket, (multi dowel holes) forget how much though.
You could persuade me to sell you mine too ;)
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
angussouth

Post by angussouth »

Hey guys, hope someone replies but to my understanding of what all was said above, i have 2 cams with a number 1 stamped on the ends and one with a number 0 not cast these are stamped numbers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This is an old thread, and I've learnt a bit since asking questions.
I'm not sure about your cam with the 0 in it (possibly not a factory cam?) . But factory cams are numbered as following:
1 and 2 are pre-pollution cams (fitted to the A51's, GA/B's)
3, 4 and 5 are the Mitsubishi works cams (3 being the mildest, 5 being designed to work with larger twin side draught style carbs).
6, 7 and 8 and post-pollution cams, fitted (to my knowledge) to GC's onwards.

Dave...
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

0 cams came from1300/1500 . I have one.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

77GDWAGON wrote:0 cams came from1300/1500 . I have one.
Well there you go, you learn something new everyday.

BTW, do you still have your wagon?

Dave...
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Still have the wagon. Just time and money. When I have time I have no money, When I have money I have no time. Vicious cycle.
angussouth

Post by angussouth »

hhat would my camshaft be worth the two ones and the 0
Old Colt

Post by Old Colt »

FWIW the #2 cam was very common in the early USA cars, it checks out to be 272° duration. Mid 70s the #6 cam was used and is 254° as I recall. I currently run a #2 with dual downs and find it has a very nice full powerband with good fuel economy.
Regards,
Charlie