Ticking Noise when i try to start

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
mooey1232003

Ticking Noise when i try to start

Post by mooey1232003 »

Hi, sometimes i try to start my car and it doesn't swing and it just makes a tick sound. The sound comes from under the car. This doesn't always and the car just starts normally. What could the problem be?
Torana68

Re: Ticking Noise when i try to start

Post by Torana68 »

low batt voltage - buggered battery
stuffed starter
loose or damaged battery leads or fittings
Roger
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
woops

Post by woops »

It it's electric problem you can remove the small ignition wire from the starter motor and bypass it with a screwdriver or something similar by contacting the main power lead to the starter ignition wire connection.

From past experience if it's a dodgy starter motor you can sometimes get it to work by bashing it a couple of time with a lump of wood to get it going. Eventually you'll need a new starter motor.

It's amazing how many things in a car can be sorted with a hammer. Can remember having a problem with my carby flowing fuel through the jets even when the engine wasn't running and with no electric fuel pump. Called racq and he looked at it and got out his hammer and tapped on top of the carby to close the float needle and off i went again on my way.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

I have a brand new starter motor in there, so i'm thinking it's the battery which is pretty old. Going to try a different battery and then see what happens. Thanks guys
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Given its a new starter, its either the starter relay is crap (if it has one) or crap connections somewhere or the new starter is crap or the battery is crap and/or as above. Rare causes include water in the cylinders (happened on a Datto I knew - took me a long time to find it :oops: )
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
SRGALANT

Post by SRGALANT »

Hey mate,

when you say new starter motor, is it brand new off the shelve, or is it brand new reco off the shelve

the reason why if it is reco it could be faulty starter or (maybe the solarnoid)
or like Torana68 said it could be a loose or broken battery leads.

Sometimes with fautly leads they get hot due to loose or dirty connections

SRGALANT
lpgalant

Post by lpgalant »

just put a relay on the start wire circuit, and itll fix it, old wiring, not enough current, called a voltage drop, run a wire from the pos batt terminal direct to the starter solinoid and itll fire straight away, if it doesnt, starter is nakered, cheers, let us know how u go, if u need a diagram, let us know
69 vf valiant coupe 225 efi turbo
74 gc galant 2.6 stroker 3.0
lpg c10 9 inch gt 4088 roller
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

SRGALANT wrote:Hey mate,

when you say new starter motor, is it brand new off the shelve, or is it brand new reco off the shelve

the reason why if it is reco it could be faulty starter or (maybe the solarnoid)
or like Torana68 said it could be a loose or broken battery leads.

Sometimes with fautly leads they get hot due to loose or dirty connections

SRGALANT
Brand new not recon. I thinks it's most prob the battery.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

when your car soes start, before you rev it does the battery light come on and stay on for a while?
if so then yea, its ya battery..