Gc galant Mods

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
81GH

Gc galant Mods

Post by 81GH »

Just wondering
what mods/conversions
u can do on a gc galant
and things people have done

one up for sale
just wanna see if it a good investment

Thanks

Marc
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
boyracer

Re: Gc galant Mods

Post by boyracer »

How huch are you looking at spending and what condition is the GC in????
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 X GALANT GC WAGON
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
81GH

Post by 81GH »

looks ok by pics
might check it out
if still around
well prob not much at the moment doing up a gsr siggy
maybe just buy it and shed it tillthe gsr finished
then can slowly do that up,

im assuming really hard to get parts though?
what sorta things can you do to em?

Thanks
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

start off with a siggy 2.6L with a jap 5 speed, thats the most popular conversion (largest legal engine)
lots of people get a narrow block 2.6 out of a siggy then put a m6 or m7 head on it out of a magne, but the easiest is just grap a narrow 2.6 and a jap 5 speed from a siggy
i think from askin all this myself over and over the best investment is to get a shitty scorpion, or starion so you can get the rear axel (rear disks) and you get the 2.6 and jap 5 speed (make sure its not a borgy, although it will be ok for time being as long as your not going to thrash it)
you can tell because the borgy has a bell housing and the jap box is all one piece.

but other than that look through the 'builds' section of the forum to see prior builds

the ultimate licenceable galant would have to be in my books, 2.6L with twine side draught weber carbys, jap 5 speed, LSD, 4 disk brakes, etc. also convert the steering to a GH siggy setup, all arms and also the brake master cylinder

havnt done any of this myself haha, but these are the most commently discussed conversions on the site for galants

just browse the topics mate
here is one on custom diffs
http://sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 3ecfadeec5

good luck, if you grab one be sure to creat a build topic

shuggy
woops

Post by woops »

Here's just a few other choices for you to contemplate.

Another option which a lot of people don't look at it putting in a NA 4g63 DOHC engine into the Galant.

They are found in a few different cars such at the Galants up till about 1993 and the Hyundai sonata's up until about 1997 and the sonata's can be picked for a couple of hundred bucks on ebay with a running engine or check out the damaged car auctions at http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/. Almost as easy a swap as the 2.6 and about the same power. And always has the option to turbo it later with. The water pipe at the back of the head can be sorted easily with this type of thermosat housing.

Also there is a group by with a few still available located here:
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=30

Or you could pick up the 2.4 SOHC from the Mitsubishi express vans but this is typically harder to to find a affordable one. There is always the 2.4 from the early sonata's too and can be picked up cheaply too and aren't as hard worked as the vans. These aren't as common as the 2L engines though so you need a bit of an eagle eye. The big advantage with this engine is that it shares many parts with the 4g63 and is the largest engine able to be legallly turbo'd in a galant. All the starion exhaust manifolds bolt up to this engine or you can change it to a twin cam but a fair bit more work to do that. The express one is a little easier for the galants as it's already RWD and also it typically a wide bolck for the bigger box. But if you have a manual Galant then the narrow block sonata one might be a better choice.

Just make sure if you get any of these engine that you get the 6 bolt flyweel as the 7 bolt has problems with crankwalk and getting parts for easily.

Another one is the Starion SOHC turbo which are already RWD but if you can go aftermarket ECU due to the difficulty in replacing computer parts or putting the full loom into the Galant. Also the block is a wideblock so difficulty with putting it into a manual Galant too. The big thing is finding a good engine and turbo but the turbos can be replaced with EVO 3 TD05 16G turbos for more power. Also these can be converted to multipoint EFI from the throttlebody EFI with the manifolds from the above mention 2.4 engines. If you are going to go this route it would prob be easier just to go the DOHC route. The main advantage of this option is the ability to have a wide block gearbox and use the stronger Starion box rather then using the 2L box or get an adapter plate fabricated for a different box. Also the starion blocks are the only wide block that has the oil spray for the bottom of the pistons for cooling. The narrow galant tubo blocks also have them too. A bit of debate if they are completely needed for the cooling though.

There are plenty of options available among the Mitsubishi engine range which keeps it in the family and avoids any fabrication or engine mounts etc.

By the way the early Hyundai engines are pretty much all Mitsubishi designs and able to put into Mitsubishi's
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
81GH

Post by 81GH »

thanks guys
il check it out somemore
Last edited by 81GH on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
81GH

Post by 81GH »

shuggy wrote:start off with a siggy 2.6L with a jap 5 speed, thats the most popular conversion (largest legal engine)
lots of people get a narrow block 2.6 out of a siggy then put a m6 or m7 head on it out of a magne, but the easiest is just grap a narrow 2.6 and a jap 5 speed from a siggy
i think from askin all this myself over and over the best investment is to get a shitty scorpion, or starion so you can get the rear axel (rear disks) and you get the 2.6 and jap 5 speed (make sure its not a borgy, although it will be ok for time being as long as your not going to thrash it)
you can tell because the borgy has a bell housing and the jap box is all one piece.

but other than that look through the 'builds' section of the forum to see prior builds

the ultimate licenceable galant would have to be in my books, 2.6L with twine side draught weber carbys, jap 5 speed, LSD, 4 disk brakes, etc. also convert the steering to a GH siggy setup, all arms and also the brake master cylinder

havnt done any of this myself haha, but these are the most commently discussed conversions on the site for galants

just browse the topics mate
here is one on custom diffs
http://sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 3ecfadeec5

good luck, if you grab one be sure to creat a build topic

shuggy
would a 84 gsr engine
asstron 1 2.6 prob the asstron 2 would be better
but got a spare 2.6 laying around would be good to use on something
don't know how it runs though bit hard to hear when theres no exhaust manifold on it
lol, but it starts atleast. and also have spare jap 5 speed from same car
would be nice to put them to good use
if possible
Last edited by 81GH on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
81GH

Post by 81GH »

anybody know how much the gc galants weigh?
would they be quite a bit lighter than a siggy?
guess parts would be extremely hard to find though?
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
81GH

Post by 81GH »

woops wrote:Here's just a few other choices for you to contemplate.

Another option which a lot of people don't look at it putting in a NA 4g63 DOHC engine into the Galant.

They are found in a few different cars such at the Galants up till about 1993 and the Hyundai sonata's up until about 1997 and the sonata's can be picked for a couple of hundred bucks on ebay with a running engine or check out the damaged car auctions at http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/. Almost as easy a swap as the 2.6 and about the same power. And always has the option to turbo it later with. The water pipe at the back of the head can be sorted easily with this type of thermosat housing.

Also there is a group by with a few still available located here:
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=30

Or you could pick up the 2.4 SOHC from the Mitsubishi express vans but this is typically harder to to find a affordable one. There is always the 2.4 from the early sonata's too and can be picked up cheaply too and aren't as hard worked as the vans. These aren't as common as the 2L engines though so you need a bit of an eagle eye. The big advantage with this engine is that it shares many parts with the 4g63 and is the largest engine able to be legallly turbo'd in a galant. All the starion exhaust manifolds bolt up to this engine or you can change it to a twin cam but a fair bit more work to do that. The express one is a little easier for the galants as it's already RWD and also it typically a wide bolck for the bigger box. But if you have a manual Galant then the narrow block sonata one might be a better choice.

Just make sure if you get any of these engine that you get the 6 bolt flyweel as the 7 bolt has problems with crankwalk and getting parts for easily.

Another one is the Starion SOHC turbo which are already RWD but if you can go aftermarket ECU due to the difficulty in replacing computer parts or putting the full loom into the Galant. Also the block is a wideblock so difficulty with putting it into a manual Galant too. The big thing is finding a good engine and turbo but the turbos can be replaced with EVO 3 TD05 16G turbos for more power. Also these can be converted to multipoint EFI from the throttlebody EFI with the manifolds from the above mention 2.4 engines. If you are going to go this route it would prob be easier just to go the DOHC route. The main advantage of this option is the ability to have a wide block gearbox and use the stronger Starion box rather then using the 2L box or get an adapter plate fabricated for a different box. Also the starion blocks are the only wide block that has the oil spray for the bottom of the pistons for cooling. The narrow galant tubo blocks also have them too. A bit of debate if they are completely needed for the cooling though.

There are plenty of options available among the Mitsubishi engine range which keeps it in the family and avoids any fabrication or engine mounts etc.

By the way the early Hyundai engines are pretty much all Mitsubishi designs and able to put into Mitsubishi's
thats nteresting to know about the hyundais
thanks
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Be careful with the hyundai, there not quite the same as mitsu 4g63, very similair but not the same and could only be of worse quality/build than the mitsu stuff.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

81GH wrote:anybody know how much the gc galants weigh?
i think i read somewhere a 1.6L galant is approx 850kg, but i could be verry wrong
i know me n 2 mates can lift the tail end out of a ditch haha

if you have a 2.6 there already start off with that, see how it goesm if its decent and its an astorn 2 then just use the 1.6 while you slowly spend time rebuildingt he 2.6, maybe with a m6 or m7 head on it.or as woops said, get a DOHC head from somethin maybe

either way the jap is a good start and if the 2.6 bolts up to the jap then you have a narrow block and will fit with no dramas, just have to get rid of that radiator spacer. dont waste the 2.6 if its decent tho, save yaself some time and money and utilise it

thats why im stickin to my 4g32 1.6L atm, i have 4 of them haah and just use parts off eachother :)

best of luck
81GH

Post by 81GH »

yea hyundai are korean
i work with a korean
and if they put engines together
like how he repairs stuff then defiantly big trouble lol
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
81GH

Post by 81GH »

shuggy wrote:
81GH wrote:anybody know how much the gc galants weigh?
i think i read somewhere a 1.6L galant is approx 850kg, but i could be verry wrong
i know me n 2 mates can lift the tail end out of a ditch haha

if you have a 2.6 there already start off with that, see how it goesm if its decent and its an astorn 2 then just use the 1.6 while you slowly spend time rebuildingt he 2.6, maybe with a m6 or m7 head on it.or as woops said, get a DOHC head from somethin maybe

either way the jap is a good start and if the 2.6 bolts up to the jap then you have a narrow block and will fit with no dramas, just have to get rid of that radiator spacer. dont waste the 2.6 if its decent tho, save yaself some time and money and utilise it

thats why im stickin to my 4g32 1.6L atm, i have 4 of them haah and just use parts off eachother :)

best of luck
awesome
yea pity its not a astron 2 one though
oh well see what happens

Thanks
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

81GH wrote:yea hyundai are korean
i work with a korean
and if they put engines together
like how he repairs stuff then defiantly big trouble lol

hahah i like this kid :P
woops

Post by woops »

Have you heard about compatibility problems with the hyundai's. Of everything i know and have heard the hyundai stuff is all mitsubishi patterns because they didn't have the development budget at that time. I know the 2L engines are pretty much the same after pulling one out of a sonata. Some very minor differences.

The 2.4 uses the same gaskets and i have one of the manifolds on my starion engine which is in the sigma. A lot of the starion guys use the hyundai heads and 2.4 cranks for build ups with no problems. And seriously i wouldn't dismiss the korean engines so quickly. Dad has his 92 excel last 300000km on the original 1.6L engine which was regulary loaded daily with about 500kg. Engine only died after being given to the son-in-law.
I'm pretty sure they are about the 960kg mark and i just checked the workshop manual and the earlier gb's are 907-937kg depending on model. The gb's are definitely lighter then the gc-gd and also a little smaller. The gb engine bay is a little smaller and doesn't have the spacer for the radiator like the gc's. The 850kg you are probably thinking about is more likely the lancer's or a galant which has been gutted.
the sigmas are about the 1150 to 1250 mark so yeah the galants are a fair bit lighter
That really depends on what you plan to do with it.

Pretty much all the suspension bushes you can get through pedders and a couple of others. The engine and driveline is like most mitsubishi's, their like lego and you can mix and match a bit between cars. Interior is a bit harder to get but seriously there isn't much in them to break. It's only if you start with a poor base of a car as a starting point is where you start to come to grief. The worst thing is that the best car to do up is perfect condition ones where you feel guilty about modifying them.

Although if you do really need parts there are still a few about and i know of one of the wreckers in brissy with about a dozen chrysler galants and lancers. Bit sad seeing 2 galant 2dr coupes being parted up there but they gave their lives so others could live on.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
81GH

Post by 81GH »

woops wrote:Have you heard about compatibility problems with the hyundai's. Of everything i know and have heard the hyundai stuff is all mitsubishi patterns because they didn't have the development budget at that time. I know the 2L engines are pretty much the same after pulling one out of a sonata. Some very minor differences.

The 2.4 uses the same gaskets and i have one of the manifolds on my starion engine which is in the sigma. A lot of the starion guys use the hyundai heads and 2.4 cranks for build ups with no problems. And seriously i wouldn't dismiss the korean engines so quickly. Dad has his 92 excel last 300000km on the original 1.6L engine which was regulary loaded daily with about 500kg. Engine only died after being given to the son-in-law.
I'm pretty sure they are about the 960kg mark and i just checked the workshop manual and the earlier gb's are 907-937kg depending on model. The gb's are definitely lighter then the gc-gd and also a little smaller. The gb engine bay is a little smaller and doesn't have the spacer for the radiator like the gc's. The 850kg you are probably thinking about is more likely the lancer's or a galant which has been gutted.
the sigmas are about the 1150 to 1250 mark so yeah the galants are a fair bit lighter
That really depends on what you plan to do with it.

Pretty much all the suspension bushes you can get through pedders and a couple of others. The engine and driveline is like most mitsubishi's, their like lego and you can mix and match a bit between cars. Interior is a bit harder to get but seriously there isn't much in them to break. It's only if you start with a poor base of a car as a starting point is where you start to come to grief. The worst thing is that the best car to do up is perfect condition ones where you feel guilty about modifying them.

Although if you do really need parts there are still a few about and i know of one of the wreckers in brissy with about a dozen chrysler galants and lancers. Bit sad seeing 2 galant 2dr coupes being parted up there but they gave their lives so others could live on.
yeah mums excel was fun to drive
till she crashed it
they go way to fast in reverse lol

thanks for other info too
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

81GH wrote:
yeah mums excel was fun to drive
till she crashed it