Galant Wagon project

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
ryan420

Galant Wagon project

Post by ryan420 »

Hey all, I have just picked up this "75 wagon for a baragin. Only 97000kms on it, very minimal rust, came with the original booklet it got sold with at the dealership all those years ago.

I am looking to put a 4g63t in the wagon as I hear they are pretty much bolt straight in, no cutting of the firewall ect. Although my problem is finding a complete 4g63t set up wiring loom, ecu ect.. My question is, have any of you guys on this forums put any other engine in your galant. If so, what? I have read a few people putting sr20's in their galants but they have to modify the engine bay quite a bit..
so what are your thoughts guys?? Any tips or any help with how you have done your projects would be very much appreciated.

also, going to completely rebuild the front n back end of the car.. Does any one have any ideas of what may fit in with minimal modification.. cheers guys.

75wagon
Admin

Re: Galant Wagon project

Post by 75wagon »

That is one very tidy GC wagon.
Just curious, other then performance, what are you aiming for looks wise (colour, rims etc...)?

As for motors etc, I'll post a few links for you to look through.
Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades

Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS)

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ryan420

Post by ryan420 »

Thanks for the links Dave, very helpful :)

I'm aiming for a very stock look, more of a sleeper, keep the sun visor, probably drop it on its guts, still undecided whether to put bags or coils in the back (I'm aware of the amount of work for coils) get the rust treated.. May keep the original color to help with the granny spec.. As for rims though, probably something with a deep dish... I'm all undecided of what I want to do, I'm waiting to transport the wagon to cairns where my other wagon is and start from there, spec wise. I am planning to get a garage once I move to cairns and strip both the wagons and go from there, just after a few ideas of what I should do and what you guys have done and how hard/easy it is to do.
Big help thankyou Dave :)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

'Easiest' to do is put an Astron in it.
I'm not sure about the laws in Qld, but in NSW that largest legal in a Galant wagon (930kgs) is 2.7 litres N/A and 2.3 litres boosted/turbo'd.

If you could pic up a 2 litre astron for the block, you can put a 2.6 crank in it and turbo it.
Biggest issue with these cars is gearboxes and diffs, there isn't really anything that's easy for big power.
2.6's come in wide and narrow block.
2.0's are narrow block only.
The 4G63's might be worth a look out of L300 vans, they are single cam and wide block.
Wide block can mate up to a Starion box. That would be the strongest of all the factory Mitsubishi boxes that I know of.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am running a narrow GN Sigma block with a Triton gearbox.
As far as I can tell the Triton box is pretty much a Starion box, in narrow and with cable clutch.
Problem with going wide block in a Galant is the lack of trans tunnel space, if you go Starion box you also need to convert to hydraulic clutch and the fork exits on the passenger side, creating further space issues.
My car was also an auto, purchased by design as they have a larger tunnel, all my mods have fitted with out cutting anything.
As far as diffs go, i am running a 10 bolt Scorpion diff with LS centre.
I have never had a driveline issue and it gets driven very hard but not abused :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Stupid no edit function :@

I am pretty sure you can source a narrow block 4G63 from Triton utes and mayne FWD Galants? But I would be looking for a narrow 4G54 if staying N/A or as Dave said, a 4G52 and fit a 54 crank and hang a hoofer off the side :thumpsup:
stealth

Post by stealth »

Um
What triton has a narrow gbox pattern? :facepalm:
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
stealth

Post by stealth »

Well no comments !
Hmm we know what that means :facepalm:
Anyway
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
A112H

Post by A112H »

Anyway, stealth.
I believe the late model Tritons were narrow as they used GN/Magna blocks