brake upgrade

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Jordan1249

brake upgrade

Post by Jordan1249 »

After a brake updrage something i can bolt straight into my gc in in an hour or 2 no modifications needes haha that are bigger and better brakes
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: brake upgrade

Post by Scorpma82 »

Y r u needing bigger brakes first of all?????

Are u fitting a bigger engine?????

As far I can see u have 3 options:

1) you use slotted/drilled rotors, performance pads, fluid and steel braided lines
2) there has been a lot of chatter about using Sigma components that can be useful
3) Hoppers Stoppers has a bolt in brakes upgrade for our cars (minimum 15" wheels needed)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Fitting a 2L sigma and dont wanna fuck around with brakes personally dont wanna do it hahah
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

If ur really budget conscious, option 2 is best
If your happy to pour money, option 1 is best
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Standard GC brakes should be fine if in good condition ... the 2L was the stock motor in them in Japan, remember! GC/GD Galant run the same front brakes as GE Sigma anyway.

Put some decent pads & shoes on it, and replace your brake hoses (including the one from body to rear axle) ..... even new rubber hoses make a massive difference compared to ones that are 40 years old !
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:the 2L was the stock motor in them in Japan, remember! GC/GD Galant run the same front brakes as GE Sigma anyway.
Is that good enough for an engineer though? (I'm thinking rego).
Has anyone in NSW ever got a 2 litre in a Galant through rego before? I've never heard of it, as everyone goes straight for the 2.6.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Don't see why you couldn't ....... as I understand it the Australian factory workshop manual for the GC actually lists the 2L motor as an option, even though it was never released in Australia that way ? (same way the Chrysler Australia manual for the 4G32 motor shows the twincarb / GS version .... it's a re-covered copy of the Jap manual))

As long as the car passed the brake test it would be fine anyway, wouldn't it ?
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

I am gunna work the shit outta it n/a and yer planning on replacing fronts as rear has been replaced
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I am very happy with my Rebuilt Standard calipers with a half decent set of pads and slotted and dimpled rotors. they put up with a fair bit of abuse before they fade.

rebuild kit and hone probably cost less than $50 all up, pads i had sitting around so cant recall what they cost and my rotors i got off of ebay for around the $160 mark.

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

I dont have a brake booster and dont plan on getting one so would like the bigger Breaks haha
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Who said I had a brake booster...... :P
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

You won't feel any difference in pedal feel if u dont increase the volume inside the calipers/brake master cylinder/wheel cylinders.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

GH sigma brakes bolt in if you swap the entire strut. I did it on my car about 10 years ago. 256mm rotors and pads are cheap as they are the same as early commodores.
Lurch15

Post by Lurch15 »

In the ACT you'd never get it through rego without an engineering certificate, due to the engine number they will find out its not the factory engine for the car, you'll get recalled to go in and they will fail you for heaps, as for NSW I'm not sure, they'll most likely pull you up on it but theres a chance you can get away with it..
Cheers, Brendan.