Niggling revs problem solved

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hey all, just thought I'd share a problem and solution I've had ongoing for a while now...
Basically, for the last few months, I've had an issue where my Gal would suddenly lose power and the revs would drop off completely, only to come back after a couple of pumps of the loud pedal. I'd thought it was a vacuum problem, as the behaviour seemed different whether the vacuum advance was attached or not. So I'd set about trying to find out where the leak may be, but really didn't get anywhere :banh: . I also thought it could be a carbie set up issue or perhaps even a fuel pump problem.

After thinking about it for a while and chatting to my dad, we thought there's a chance it could be electrical. I thought it unlikely, since it wasn't so long ago that I changed over most of the electrical gear, but given the set of circumstances that seemed to be getting worse, I'd start with the easiest, if not the most obvious component: the condenser! After explaining to the auto shop guy that I was after an electrical condenser, and not an air-con part :facepalm:, I changed it over, and voila, things are back to normal and I'm in a position to drag people off at the lights once again! :D :D :D

It may only be a small part, but she's pretty damn important! Strange that it was causing an intermittent fault, given that it's really just a capacitor, but without it the spark just isn't there...
ddt

Re: Niggling revs problem solved

Post by ddt »

I had the same symptoms with my 4G52 a few years back- turned out to be the plug where the distributor wires come out and plug into the electrical system.
It was super annoying because it was intermittent and was happening often enough that I couldn't trust the car. Ended up finding it by simply letting it idle and poking everywhere under the bonnet until it happened again.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Jeremynef

Post by Jeremynef »

Not showing correct fuel tank level. when fuel tank is empty it shows half full. even with disconnected sending unit - still half. is there any solution for this problem?
Sigmaproject

Re: Niggling revs problem solved

Post by Sigmaproject »

Looks like you will have to get another gauge cluster and swap over the gauge for a serviceable unit.