Oil Caps & Radiator Caps

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
LukeAussie

Oil Caps & Radiator Caps

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi all, just a got a quick question... I've been having trouble lately with my oil filler cap, in that it doesn't seem to last very long. I replaced one a couple of years ago (it had cracked), and since then, I've found myself needing to replace them every few months, as they rattle around. Has anyone else had the same problem? I've been using Tridon caps (the press in one), but it seems they don't make 'em like they used to. Anyone else experienced anything similar on their 4G32?

And while I'm at it, I'm wondering what radiator caps people use. I've got a 16PSI one on there at the moment, but I'm sure it's wrong... the workshop manual says 14PSI is the way to go. I do have a Sigma radiator, but that shouldn't make a difference to the pressure of the system. I've noticed that with the 16PSI cap, there's less coolant (slightly) in the radiator, and my reservoir keeps filling... I'd be thinking a CA15100 or CA1495 recovery cap would be the way to go...

What do you think???
tandanus

Re: Oil Caps & Radiator Caps

Post by tandanus »

4G32 Oil filler cap rattles - any blow-by will wear out your filler cap because its always moving in its hole. The hole wears too :(
Get a thin piece of metal, 1/2 to 1" wide, bend it into a "z" shape (or 2 right-angle bends), drill a hole in one end, put the hole over the front air-box bolt on the rocker cover and put a spring washer and nut on the bolt. Swing the piece of metal around so it presses on the oil filer cap. Tighten nut.
Looks dodgy as - but works :)
There's a pic of this somewhere here........
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Sorry for crap image - but like this:
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

John Ruskin
tubby

Post by tubby »

tandanus wrote:4G32 Oil filler cap rattles - any blow-by will wear out your filler cap because its always moving in its hole. The hole wears too :(
Get a thin piece of metal, 1/2 to 1" wide, bend it into a "z" shape (or 2 right-angle bends), drill a hole in one end, put the hole over the front air-box bolt on the rocker cover and put a spring washer and nut on the bolt. Swing the piece of metal around so it presses on the oil filer cap. Tighten nut.
Looks dodgy as - but works :)
There's a pic of this somewhere here........
T.
looks less dodgy than mine. i bent up a bit of coathanger........
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Astron caps are a straight swap.
They are just larger, and are a tight fit in a Saturn.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi guys,
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll give the Astron cap a try first of all, and see how that goes first... I'll let you know how I go!

How about radiator caps... what are other people running? 14, 15 or 16 PSI?