GC/D Front lip spoilers under construction.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've made a started making progress on producing a front lip spoiler that is a straight bolt on to a GC/D.
This style.

It's early days, but I am preparing a front apron so I have something straight to work off.
I'm also thinking of making a mold of the front apron.

I pulled all of my front aprons that I've kept to judge which one will take the least work to repair.

The winner is the one off my current build (no I'm not using the one of my GC wagon).
Still needs plenty of repairs. ANd looking at some of the others, I must have a serious hoarding problem, most of them are rooted :think:

After today's effort, here's where I'm at.
It's pretty much all filled and flattened back out. Just minor stuff now.

My ultimate goal is to make a matching front apron and spoiler so it can be bolted in and out (for whatever reason).
But at least if I achieve my goal, anyone who fits one to their GC/D Galant wont have to drill holes in it to fit it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
hengagc75

Re: GC/D Front lip spoilers under construction.

Post by hengagc75 »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

^what he said. (H)
wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

Looks good. I'll be in for one when they are ready.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

If I was you id just stick with the idea of a one piece stone tray and lip made from fiberglass, I like what you are doing with this, im interested in one once your done, the only advice I have is that you play around with a few designs and angles on the lip, the one on deans car is ok but please done make it like the ones you see on these celicas that jutt put on a 45 degree angle
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 wrote:please done make it like the ones you see on these celicas that jutt put on a 45 degree angle
Is this the one you speak of?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

That ones not tooo bad, but not quite what I ment
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Got a pic of the one you don't like?
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I actually think you might have changed my way of thinking?

By the search I did looking for the Celica lip. I really like the idea of a total replacement panel with the lip included (yes it was an earlier plan that I had anyway).

Thanks for the input.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'm still working on this, but consider this as a rough sketch.

Obviously still plenty of work still to do, but this is the basic look I was going for.
Like I've said earlier (although maybe not on here), I want something that is specifically designed to suit a Galant. I think that by adding the reliefs into the top to match up with the shapes in the front apron I'm achieving this.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, slight direction change.
I ended up starting again. I changed the material I made it from, and after plenty of looking at what I had made, I decided it needed something just a little more then it had, and I thought it was just too plain.

Trimmed, sanded to the basic shape and waiting for filler.

1st fill.

Perspective shots (fitted it back on the car).
Obviously the car is sitting way to high, with no motor, stock suspension, and it's obviously missing the front bar and grill as well, but it gives you and idea.

Still a work in progress, and when I paint it all up I'll decide whether I do or don't like the ends I added. If I don't like them, I'll just hack them off and fill the damage. With the ends removed it'll look exactly the same as the earlier version.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

1 more angle.
unique10

Post by unique10 »

looking good. just a thought but overseas indicator 'holes', could they be used as a brake duct?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

unique10 wrote:overseas indicator 'holes', could they be used as a brake duct?
They sure can. It's pretty much what I had in mind. Either that or as a cold air intake point
The front apron would need to be clearanced for that to happen.

Daniel who owns the Galant hardtop that was entered in Targa this year (I can't remember his site name) asked for something that was a little bit more then just ornamental. I took as much input as I could from others into what I was making (thus adding the ends). I've actually spent today tweaking it.
As it stands right now, the ends come up higher, but I am still to do the final shaping on them.

Dave...
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Cannot wait!!!! :$ :D :P
unique10

Post by unique10 »

Good to see your sticking with it. I started making a moulded Bob tail for the gd that followed the quarter roundness which I almost finished but lost motivation. This might actually motivate me to finish.

Keep up the good work.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

unique10 wrote:I started making a moulded Bob tail for the gd that followed the quarter roundness
I actually wanted to make one that didn't stick up so much as out the back.
But I don't have a GC/D sedan to mould one on.
I have secretly (not so much anymore) been wanting to make a rear spoiler for the wagons that continues the roof line with and over hang over the glass (again out the back opposed to up).

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Updates on current progress.

Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

75wagon wrote:
unique10 wrote:I started making a moulded Bob tail for the gd that followed the quarter roundness
I actually wanted to make one that didn't stick up so much as out the back.
But I don't have a GC/D sedan to mould one on.
I have secretly (not so much anymore) been wanting to make a rear spoiler for the wagons that continues the roof line with and over hang over the glass (again out the back opposed to up).

Dave...

U mean the rear spoiler like a legnum or stagea????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Scorpma82 wrote:U mean the rear spoiler like a legnum or stagea????
Nope too big, and way too obvious.

I want something discreet and looks like it's meant to be there (like it was a factory option).
I can't find an image like what I am thinking, but I suppose try to imagine something like a cross between these :think:

Continuation of the roof line like the top 2, but styled more like the bottom one.
I seriously can't find a pic on the net of anything like what I have pictured in my head.

Dave..
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Anyway, back on topic.

I had a little bit of damage yesterday ( put it down to heavily and cracked it, but I've almost repaired it all again though :$ )

I just thought I show a few more pics to give a better idea of final shape while I'm waiting for filler to dry.

You can clearly see where the crack was, but as you can see I'm up to removing all the imperfections (the better the product the better the mold).
I ended up added ends on the bottom side as well, I didn't like the way it looked before, it didn't look right (looked like something someone made in there backyard :o ). I think the ends, the way they are now, finish it off, and make it look like it should be there.

I'm hoping to get this finished today.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Not bolted back together properly, everything is just sitting there basically. 1 bolt in the apron, bumper bolts just in the threads, 2 screws in the grill and rags stuffed under the bonnet, but I finally get the idea of how it will look with the front together.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Re-attached to the backing.
Pretty much just got to block this back and polish it, and it should be ready to start glassing over.

Dave...
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I've never been game enough to mess with fibreglass, but you are doing a top job on your mould Dave. :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Progress on this is slow but constant (I'm working a heap of overtime atm so my hobby hours are limited).

2nd cost of Gel coat down, ready for glass to be applied.

Most of the way through applying the glass, still a bit more work to go into this before I can pull off the mold.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Success.

The plug mold failed (which is a bit disappointing), but the important bit survived.

A few small repairs and trimming/tidying need to be done to the mold before I start using it, but this should be online soon. All I've got to do is work out time and materials, and I'll be able to settle on a price.

I've got to say, I'm pretty chuffed atm, this is the first mold that I have made and completed(besides the one I made for my quad carb trumpets, but that was quick and easy).
Trumpet mold

4 Trumpets made/joined and installed on the carbs

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Trimmed to shape, and I've almost finished repairing the mold.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

No.1 is underway.

I know I put up a lot of pics (I appologise to those who don't appreciate it).
The reasons I do it:
1. I like to keep people up to date
2. Because I lack motivation (I find others encourage me to continue).

Dave...
wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

Awesome work.
Let me know when and how much... i might even take 2.

Zvon