Creating fender flares

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.

Should i continue with flares or rip them off and change rims

Yeah keep going
69%
nah its going to look S@#T
No votes
Do it, it will loo awesome
No votes
Finish it and make us all moulds :)
31%

Total votes: 16

lchilds82

Creating fender flares

Post by lchilds82 »

Hey guys so i decided to try and make some flares to accommodate my rims, problem is im not sure all the hassles will be worth the end result, im definitely in minds of whether or not to keep these rims or go to something a little well lets just say easier, here is where i am at
Still alot of work to do and thats half the problem, let me know what you guys think
4GB63t
ddt

Re: Creating fender flares

Post by ddt »

Looking good so far. How do you think you'll go matching that on the rear as there's less room (because of the door).
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

ddt wrote:Looking good so far. How do you think you'll go matching that on the rear as there's less room (because of the door).
already started one of the back flares and yeah that was the hard part to match the front with out going on to the door and in the end had to go on to the door to make it look any good. Ill take some pics and post them of the back, the faom is fairly easy to shape but getting it to look right is very hard and then matching front to back :facepalm: but ill keep going for now.
4GB63t
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'd keep going.......its people like u (i.e. thinking outside the box) that makes there ride more unique by using creativity instead of excessiveness (power, wheel size, bolt-ons, money spent)
I like the way your approaching this......would be a good alternative to using "bolt-on" flares and seeing a huge amount of actual bolts going through your guards....your look will be far cleaner....especially if the flares are colour coded to the car

Great work :thumpsup:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Thanks mate, i was thinking of getting some bolt on universal flares but wasnt willing to spend over $200 for flares that dont fit and have to be bolted through. Yeah they will be color matched and it can definitely be a much cleaner look as you can shape these to suit the lines of the car. Just alot of sanding body filler and repeat. LOL
4GB63t
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

:thumpsup:
I'm with Scorpma,
If your patient and don't go over the top, which you obviously don't appear to be doing, I reckon you'll be on winner.

Anyone can buy bolt-ons, but your flares will have a subtlness that will keep people looking, with that "there's something about it.."it their head... :D

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

Few questions:
1. Is the foam going to be a perminant fixture? Or is it just to make a mould then reproduce from fibreglass?
2. If the foam is staying, becoming part of the body, how well does it stick?

Looks great tho...... It's opened up loads of ideas for me :)

Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

I like the idea but is that current mould temp or is that staying? Will it hold on?
I'm very curious ;-)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I think you should keep going.

You've made a good start which is more then most. Trial and error will set you to where you want to be, and you'll learn along the way, which will help you in the future.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

I think you should give me back my wheels lol. Ive got the same on my gd, its 2.5 inches lowered and tgey are perfectly inside the guards.. Just
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

astronturbo77 wrote:I think you should give me back my wheels lol. Ive got the same on my gd, its 2.5 inches lowered and tgey are perfectly inside the guards.. Just
well these are no way near being inside the gaurds, which sux arse
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Trimmed them down quiet alot today
4GB63t
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I actually meant to click finish it and make us all moulds, looking good! and i need some..
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

i am still in 2 minds about this, like ive said about this before i never set out to put flares on this and in my opinion i think galants gb in particular look very clean with out them, i do however really like the wheels i have chosen and these will not work with out flares :( i still have alot to think about, it will cost a couple hundred to make the moulds so i need to decide if it is all worth.
4GB63t
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I think what you've done is fascinating work and you've clearly sat down and really thought this through so quite frankly....top marks already

I think if you were to colour code the flares to the car then it would improve the look dramatically (I'm guessing that you're in two minds coz they aren't painted and really stand out)

if you were to mock up steel flare and weld them to the car.....they'll look like you have rolled or stretched your guards...THEN it will look like it was made for the from factory IMO
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I like the look of the flares lchilds. IMO the 'less is more' approach will be the recommendation - oh, and add a duck bill to the front (and keep the Galant green, it gives it some of that 'race heritage' feel). It will make the whole thing tie in together and make it complete :thumpsup:
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Just want to make sure everyone knows that whats on the car at the moment is expandable foam, it is very easy to shape and sand to shape, this is fairly easy, once you have the right shape on all four flares you then have to use body filler over the faom and sand down till its perfect, then spray them with an undercoat and wet and dry them with about 1200, after that you have to do about 10 coats of mould release wax buffing off between each coat then use a release agant over that, then goes down a gel coat and then the fibre glass after that, and thats just for the moulds, have to repeats all the steps waxing, release agent, gel coat and fibreglassing to make the flares from the moulds, its a very long process
4GB63t
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

:thumpsup: sweet, thought it was a basis to make fibreglass parts, just wasn't sure :) good work ;)
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

lchilds82 wrote:Just want to make sure everyone knows that whats on the car at the moment is expandable foam, it is very easy to shape and sand to shape, this is fairly easy, once you have the right shape on all four flares you then have to use body filler over the faom and sand down till its perfect, then spray them with an undercoat and wet and dry them with about 1200, after that you have to do about 10 coats of mould release wax buffing off between each coat then use a release agant over that, then goes down a gel coat and then the fibre glass after that, and thats just for the moulds, have to repeats all the steps waxing, release agent, gel coat and fibreglassing to make the flares from the moulds, its a very long process
I get the feeling your hard work is going to be well worth it. I for one will want a set. :)
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.