1975 Galant need help :D

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Samirapoop

1975 Galant need help :D

Post by Samirapoop »

Hey,
I just wanted to know if tappet noise is a big issue.. It's minor noise from time to time but just want to make sure.

And if you guys could explain what it is, how to fix, how much it'll cost.

Thanks heaps =)
geezer101

Re: 1975 Galant need help :D

Post by geezer101 »

There will always be some degree of tappet noise (cold start etc) but if you're prepared to roll up the sleeves and adjust them yourself, all it'll cost you is some of your time (and maybe a new rocker cover gasket depending on what the condition of the existing one is). This should be a pretty common subject on the site so use the search function - http://www.sigma-galant.com/search.php If you're really struggling to find the answer then repost an SOS and one of the members will definitely be able to help guide you through the process :thumpsup:
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

most annoying thing with the 4G32 i still havent gotten around to doing them but my galants pretty noisey so sort drains it out and what it doesnt the stero does :P
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

My first post didn't explain what tappet noise is and what the effects of it can be. On the end of the rocker arms are a threaded shaft locked into position by a retaining nut - this assembly is the tappet. There has to be some degree of gap between the end of the tappet and the head of the valve but when this gap increases it will cause a 'clicking' noise from the impact between the 2 components. With a small amount of play this isn't an issue but when it starts to increase it will reduce the amount of available valve lift and can cause rapid wear to both the tappet and the head of the valve. There are a couple of methods to adjust tappet clearance - they are simple to apply and only require some basic tools and feeler gauges (unless you adjust them by feel which is what I do...) It should only take 30 minutes max to reset all the clearances on your tappets :thumpsup: