Jdm spec 73 colt...

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75glnt

Jdm spec 73 colt...

Post by 75glnt »

Hey guys :)

What badges did the jdm spec a53 (?), come with?

Cheers :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Re: Jdm spec 73 colt...

Post by davetrees »

Which model ? There were a few over there ..... different trim levels etc had different badges.

Note that by 1972 they were a "Galant 14L" or "Galant 16L", not a "Colt". 1973 would almost be the start of the "New Galant" (GC-shape) in Japan ?

I have a complete set of badges for a 1972 Galant 16L-GS which will go on my car at some stage (not for sale unless you make me a silly offer I can't refuse ... :D )

Also have a set of front guard badges of the same vintage for a "Galant Custom" which I would happily sell for a sensible offer :

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ah ok :)

Thanks mate! The galant custom badges are tempting! So the "colt" was US only? I just bought some colt fender badges :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

No, the "Colt" wasn't USA only .... although they were mostly sold as the "Dodge Colt" in the USA

Galants had lots of different names in different markets, and also depends on year.

The first series in Japan were the "Mitsubishi Colt Galant" .... as were the very early fully imported ones here I think ? This is the "Colt Galant AI" (A51/1300) and "Colt Galant AII" (A52/1500) series. First sold in 1969 in Japan with single square headlights, upgraded to twin headlights in 1971.

The next series in Japan were the "Galant 14L" (A54/1400) and "Galant 16L" (A53/1600) ... these came out in 1972 in Japan I think (maybe late 1971) ? Twin headlights, different dash, tail-lights, blinkers, grille etc.

Other than the small number of very early fully imported ones (which were A51s) , the Australian cars (GA & GB) were all sold as "Chrysler Galant" here ..... and neither is an exact equivalent to the JDM cars. They are a bit of a hybrid between the JDM first & second series. (eg. the GB has the same body & dash etc as the mid-life update of the 1st series with twin headlights, but with the later motor from the 16L)

In some other markets (eg. Thailand, Phillipines, South Africa) they were either "Galant", "Colt", or Colt Galant" ..... and were sold as both Mitsubishis or Dodges !

Hopefull that makes some sort of sense ! This website has quite a few scanned brochures on it, which will give you a feel for "what changed when" ... http://webgalant.web.fc2.com
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ah cheers for that! :)

I just payed $70 for these colt badges :facepalm:

Ah well!! They can go with my collection :P

How about this grille? Was this sold in the jdm market?
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Not 100% sure , but I think that style was USA-only.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ah ok :)

Thanks a bunch mate! I'm thinking about making an offer for the badges :P hmmmm...

Wouldn't be much (if any), more than the colt ones I just bought :\
N/A ALL THE WAY