Keep or remove vinyl roof?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
hengagc75

Keep or remove vinyl roof?

Post by hengagc75 »

I have a perfect condition vinyl roof on my GC, wondering what is everyone's thoughts on whether I should keep it or not when re spraying it. I am not sure which I like more..
A112H

Re: Keep or remove vinyl roof?

Post by A112H »

Remove, every single time without hesitation, remove (H)
ddt

Post by ddt »

If it's in good nick, and it doesn't offend you then i say keep it :D

but if you were intending to put some modern rims on it or colour code bumpers and trim etc.. then you'd have to remove it i think
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
unique10

Post by unique10 »

Remove it. Always if you can. They are the worst things ever invented for cars (in my opinion anyway) they just seem to be breeding grounds for rust - and nobody likes that.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Vinyl rooves are good for originality/restoration purposes.....any form of modifying or modernising...remove it

It's perfect for forming...and at the same time....hiding rust
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The vinyl roof looks classy while it's in good shape but as everyone has commented, they are a full on cancer trap waiting to turn your car into a convertible whether you want one or not. If you are going for a vinyl roof resto and it hasn't caused any metal damage, the guys doing the job should ensure the roof and pillars are properly protected during the process.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Will be removing it shortly :D
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

With 4 comments of remove it, I'd say keep it for sure if it's tidy.
4-0 means that keeping it would be trend setting.

But after all, do what you want it's your car.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Hahah I get you 75wagon but they have made me think it would be smarter to remove it for the long term to prevent any rust..
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Personally i would remove it.. Car looks a whole lot cleaner without it.. Even if the vinyl roof is in good nick. Hidden rust is always beneath them buggers also.. The galant needs a fresh full colour all over to really bring out its true loving shape many of us obviously enjoy. That's my opinion anyway.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

right now i wish i could just remove mine, but in the long term i wish to replace it, why?? because it looks good against the Maroon colour of my car IMO, its also funny explaining to people that it isnt a soft top but an upholstered roof, and have had many people shocked that car manufacturers did such a thing :P. in saying that, yes its a breeding ground for rust, i plan on replacing mine and while its off painting my entire roof in POR15 to prevent any future rust problems.

id say keep it, but at the end of the day its your car :thumpsup:
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

nothing to stop you painting the section where the vinyl material was white or black to make it look like the vinyl roof. have seen a few cars with this option.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

The only real downside to a vinyl roof is,

if u want to change the colour ofthe car, u have to find a colour that suits the colour of the vinyl roof.....quite often, that will narrow it down to a 70's colour (perhaps with a modern twist like a pearl)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Remove, every single time without hesitation, remove (H)
Jason post a picture of the car without the vinyl ?
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

GB_BB4C wrote:nothing to stop you painting the section where the vinyl material was white or black to make it look like the vinyl roof. have seen a few cars with this option.
Doesnt have the same effect, ive been going to "JDM" meets that are filled with skylines, silvia's and supras, half these kids are amazed when they see an upholstered roof, some think my car is a convertible :lol: Others are genuinely interested as to why they did it, makes for a good conversation piece depending on the places you go with it :P
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Is it possible to pull the vinyl off and keep it or does it have to be cut up when being taken apart
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Im respraying mine and relaying the vinyl roof. Had a nasty bit of rust under it in one spot, above the the rear windshield rubber... roof was mint otherwise. Im keeping mine because i love the way my car looks stock! People tell me i should lose the roof when i spray it but i reckon it looks mad with my paint code and all the chrome, so its staying despite the cost and risk and whatever other gay excuses people make for not having awesome vinyl roofs on their cars :)
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Rust is the obvious downside, though if you're careful, it doesn't have to be a big threat. Depends how often you drive your car in the wet. I'm not a huge fan of the vinyl roof personally, but I do think they can look good on a period car (with period-style mods). They look great on Monaros and 60s Vals, but at the end of the day, it depends on your personal style and whether you're going for an original or 70s look or something more modern...
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Oh, and it probably depends on the colour of the vinyl too :-) Remember, black goes with everything!
wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

Whether to keep or remove the vinyl depends on a number of things. What color will it be repainted. If its a modern color then bin in. If you are keeping it old school or near stock and if it already has a vinyl roof keep it. The best way to go about keeping it is to get the roof sprayed body color. But pay extra attention to corners of the windscreens and the holes for the stainless trim. The major reason for most vinyl roofs causing rust are poor surface prep, back in the day if a car was ordered with a vinyl roof the simply saved money by not painting where the vinyl went. On top of that when windscreens were installed if the sealant wasn't applied correctly water pooled and caused rust. Then finally the plastic clips that held the stainless trim down chipped off the paint causing you guessed it rust. Same goes for badges on the b pillar. But its your car. You can do as you want.
Rant over.
Zvon