Sound Systems

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Jordan1249

Sound Systems

Post by Jordan1249 »

So im adding to my sound system in my GC im putting 2 6inchs in the front to replace the original speakers ahah

So just wondering whats your set up in your galant what do you have and where abouts are they place
hengagc75

Re: Sound Systems

Post by hengagc75 »

I posted something similar to this a while ago.. This might help

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10245
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

cheers helped heaps :)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I have 2x 4" kenwoods in my front kick panels, then 2x 4" kenwoods and 2x 6" kenwoods in my rear parcel shelf, all that accompanied by a 12 sub in the boot, head unit is hidden in the glove box, can post pics later, at work on the phone at the moment.

You really don't need much to have a good sounding system in these cars, My system is cheap and impresses alot of my friend that are into audio, the accoustics of the car are a major part as to why it works so well.

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

it really is Jono i was only running 2 6 by 9s and they would go hard im feeeling once i add the 4 more speakers its gunna go off
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

What amp and head unit are you using jono
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Tho only music I listen to is 160cu in. of fine tuned Astron....ohhhhhhhhh yeeaaahhh!!!! :lol:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

Scorpma82 wrote:Tho only music I listen to is 160cu in. of fine tuned Astron....ohhhhhhhhh yeeaaahhh!!!! :lol:
Me too Scorpma, I replaced my stock dash with the AM radio with a pov pack dash that has no stereo hole in it.
This was also done because of my hatred of wood grain, lol. The pov pack dash is plain black :thumpsup:
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

In this day and age mate, it's easy enough to run a USB adaptor into the cigerette lighter....just plug an ipod docking station in

Or you can sticky tape a mega phone to an ipod if you want loud music..........you could called the "i megaphone" :P
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Scorpma82 wrote:Tho only music I listen to is 160cu in. of fine tuned Astron....ohhhhhhhhh yeeaaahhh!!!! :lol:
Also a good sound system, but..... it dont get the bitches.... just saying :lol:

In all seriousness its all a mater of opinion, for me it depends on what mood im in, sometimes i like to listen to music, others i turn off the stereo and listen to the sexy sounds of my 4G32 (and clutch pedal :think: )

Anyways heres those pics for you mate, i have used some spacers to mount the 4" speakers on the kick panels, my intentions eventually are to fibreglass them in place so it looks like one big panel, and as for the rears the holes in the parcel tray are perfect for the setup i have done, no cutting or bashing of the parcel tray at all.

Sub is a 1200w 400rms Kenwood with a 1000w 400rms Kenwood amp (normally anyways, due to running in a sub for my sister i have my amp turned down and a 1200w 300rms kenwood sub installed temporarily, old sub will go back in along with a new box)

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Don't need subs and all that crap lol no offence jono all your need is spend couple hundred but a nice set of 6x9s and 6.5s ( I got myn from jaycar response ) a good amp and a good tune everyone thought I had a sub in the boot good to bet with as welli scored $20 as one bloke didn't believe me I had no sub
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

nice set of 6x9s and 6.5s ( I got myn from jaycar response ) a good amp and a good tune everyone thought I had a sub in the boot

Never liked pumping bass out of 6 by 9s always gone with sub pumping out alot of bass and all speakers tuned for clarity of voice
personally i think sounds better that way but every has their own taste of set ups
Merv

Post by Merv »

That's how mine is set up speakers for the volume and subs for bass
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

All depends on what type of speaker you get buy a basic set you get crap buy decent you get decent sound I'll show you how good myn go and you will be surprised
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

has anyone put 6in speakers in there kick panel in galants ?
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

i doubt you would be able to fit a 6" speaker in the kick panel without obstructing the accelerator pedal.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Haha i might cut.into the kick panel lol i didnt think bout drivers side aye
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you want decent sound in your ride it comes at a sacrifice. Only way around chopping up a door trim is to make a couple of them up to replace your good ones and set up speakers in them. You can't go past a single DIN head unit with 2x RCA outputs, a 4 channel amp, a pair of 6" splits up front, a pair of 4" or 6" rear parcel shelf speakers and a sub in a sealed box. And you don't need to go broke buying an amp or a sub (or even a head unit unless you got your heart set on a shiny new one) as car audio gear comes up second hand all the time. I've been using Fusion speakers in my car and although they are cheap, they don't honk at you like entry level speakers on offer from Sony or Pioneer. They put on a decent performance when they are being pushed and they handle it well. The sub I've been using is an SAS 10" tube I've had for nearly 20 years ( :| ); the head unit is an Alpine flip face and the amp is a Phillips XP640 - both of which I picked up from Crime Converters for under $150 total. :thumpsup: Image Image
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

I've been thinking about putting a box of speakers in the wagon behind the rear seat, but unsure yet.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
ryzor

Post by ryzor »

I was thinking of putting a 2nd hand 10' samsung tablet in mine since they are only $150 more than your standard head unit, gps and wifi seem like a worth while bonus. Plus if you use a link ecu or another ecu with bluetooth you can view all the information the ecu is processing on the tablet/mini pc. Plus installation is simple, just have to splice into the power cable and plug the aux cable into an amp. All though I'm not sure if the sound quality will differ from using a normal head unit.

I haven't looked into it very thoroughly, so don't take my word on anything :P
webby

Post by webby »

I'm running a pair of Fusion 6x9's straight off a Sony head deck in the red Scorp, PO put it in, sounds fine so I don't see the need to upgrade :thumpsup:
Never been a fan of driving around thumping bass, always makes me feel like I should be driving a fulli sik WRX wif 20" chromez, aye khuz. :lol:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

I have four Sony 6", two up front, two in the back parcel shelf, running straight off an old Sanyo head, and it's all fairly decent. The front speakers are in the doors, which as stated earlier is a shame since you have to cut the door skins, but that was they way things went in the early 80s when my dad stuck 'em in :-) The head sits nicely in a console unit, so all is good there :-) As far as the speakers go, I find I get reasonable sound, which is good enough for driving. I never saw the point in having a super-high quality system, since when you drive it's corrupted by road noise, engine noise, etc, and besides, I listen mostly to rock music so it has a muddy mid-range anyway :-)

And I definitely wouldn't want to be labelled as a fulli sik WRX driva! Ha ha!

On the note of the Samsung Tab, I think it's a good idea, but keep in mind, you'll still need a chunky amp to drive the main speaker drivers, as the headphones output is essentially line-level, and wouldn't have even close to the power required to drive even a baby 4" speaker driver. But after that, it probably wouldn't be too bad at all!
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

ryzor

Post by ryzor »

Never been a fan of driving around thumping bass, always makes me feel like I should be driving a fulli sik WRX wif 20" chromez, aye khuz. :lol:
I wish I had a fulli sik WRX wif chromez, so i could sell it to some poor sod :P