Airbag suspension

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Jordan1249

Airbag suspension

Post by Jordan1249 »

So has anyone every bagged a galant ?
A112H

Re: Airbag suspension

Post by A112H »

Yeah, all the time. They are pretty shit :@

Oh sorry, I thought you meant bagged out a Galant :hit: No, I haven't seen one bagged (H)
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Only later stuff man...

'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
Merv

Post by Merv »

hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Would be very interesting to see IMO. Do it!
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

yer got a mate that builds mintrucks and you have to cut the leaf springs and shit seems like fuck around but bagged a mates Vy commodore i did the wiring and some other stuff and looks pretty good fully dumped

And jason i know your pain ahha :(
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Before everyone starts refuelling their flame throwers to roast this dude into oblivion there's actually been some impressive performance orientated developments being made with airbag setups.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/11/dou ... ma-thrash/

It's an appealing idea and one I even entertained briefly before dismissing it as too expensive for me.

I think it'd be prety cool to see a galant layed out flat on its belly but fercrisakes do it properly. I've seen some real sketchy builds being made by the minitruck crowd, that's not to say they're all dodgy but they're there.

Personally I don't think cutting the leaf springs in a galant is a wise idea at all seeing as they're the only thing holding your rear axle in place. You would want to (and this is without even considering the engineering/registration element) fabricate some form of trailing arm setup for the rear axle to swing on. Otherwise all you have keeping the axle in place is a rather thin bolt in a thick rubber bush that will disintegrate very quickly with any sideways movement, of which there will be plenty without the rear half of the spring keeping everything in line.

If you were to do it, I think a sigma or a scorpion would be a better base as they have a trailing arm and coil spring setup from factory.
... now I really want to see a scorpion on bags. Silver with maroon interior, wide black wats, a set of takeyari tail pipes.. no, NO! No more projects! No more!
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

pretty sure with sigmas since they are on coil springs they are a straight swap with the bags at least that was with my mates VY

And i think you should do it TJ what else can you do in your spare time ?
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Sounds like you have got some work to do Tj. Get on it!
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

What fkn spare time?

I have to tear down and straighten the thing out first.
But before any of that happens I need to build a new motor for the bosses mx5 before it shits itself proper and then swap it in, need to do a good thorough service on the angry barina, finish building a new kitchen and bathroom all while fitting in everyday housework and a full time job (and I'm going to try and squeeze playing in a band again in there somewhere)

My plan suspension-wise for the hardtop is "simply" some coilovers, some camber adjustment and some reset leaf springs. No point reinventing the wheel, for me at least.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485