HJ Timing Belt Mammoth Effort

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
LukeAussie

HJ Timing Belt Mammoth Effort

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi all,
I know we don't normally talk about the more modern Mitsi's here, but just wanted to say I just finished doing the timing belt on my 1994 HJ Galant (it is still a Galant, after all!), 6A12, and it was a mammoth effort, though something entirely doable. Changed the water pump, which was dead, renewed all the cam seals, idle pulleys, and hydraulic tensioner. Had troubles getting the crank pulley off (there's no locating pin/hole in the pulley or block casing, unlike my GC, so nothing to hold the pulley in place while you try and loosen the bolt... a rattle gun came in handy in this instance!), and took a few goes to get the tensioning right (at first, we tensioned the cammed pulley in the wrong direction!), but overall 'twas a good experience :-)

And it was interesting to work on a very, very different Galant for a change!
A112H

Re: HJ Timing Belt Mammoth Effort

Post by A112H »

I did the same job on my Gen8 VR4 (6A13TT), wasn't a terrible job and certainly do-able.
Good job, always feels great when you have a crack at something different and succeed :thumpsup:
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Nice one Jason! My dad's got an 8th Gen VR4 too... such a mad car! So much fun to drive! I imagine we'll be tackling that belt sometime soon too :-)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cool. Tell him to remove the alternator while he is at it and get it inspected. It can be a bugger of a job to remove on it's own should it go bad.
There is a write up I did on OZVR4 4 or 5 years ago. Mine was the first alt. to die so had to work out how to remove the bugger, lol

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php? ... alternator
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I recently replaced the shifter linkages in my hg gsr... I NEVER want to do that again! :lol:

A lot of F's and C's were thrown around :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I recently had the displeasure of replacing the timing belt in Mrs G's XD Elantra (which was over it's specified change interval and also needed a clutch kit thrown in as well :hit: - and an epic thanks to 84GKSIG for both his hands on help and use of his facilities :thumpsup: ) Both driveshafts out and engine removed, all belts replaced (power steering, alt/water pump and air con) air con idler pulley replaced (knocked the bearing out and pressed a new one in), water pump, front crank seal and clutch kit (thanks to Cottees for googling the secret to separating the engine and gearbox - and for the unwarranted heckling). All up was 20 hours work done over 2 days (the final assembly and start up was done at 9.30 p.m. and it was raining :@ )