GB Galant Diff Question.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
MrBird

GB Galant Diff Question.

Post by MrBird »

Hi Guys, I have a GB Galant Rally car that someone has previously welded the diff up on. I would really rather an LSD as the "CIG Locker" creates a fair bit of understeer on the dirt. So my question is, would the centre be interchangable with anything else? I'm thinking Sigma/Scorpion or something. Any help greatly appreciated.
75glnt

Re: GB Galant Diff Question.

Post by 75glnt »

Unfortunately.. No :\

Only diff centre that does is the import turbo EX lancer in Japan. And, good luck finding one! There's a bloke on here with one but there's a pretty decent line up for it :P with myself in line also :D

I'm going to upgrade to the 10 bolt diff with the LSD centre and discs later on... Just a slowly make it then once it's all ready, throw it in job :)

If you happen to find something that I don't know... I'd love to hear about it :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

So I'm getting a Triton diff shortened then? Seems simple, but a little costly.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea they're the same... I'm using an l300 one.. L200s also have a 10 bolt :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

There is a thread about that shows how to make a stock diff into a basic LSD. Need to put a spring between the pinon gears from memory. I cant find the thread but i remember it being a simple low cost mod.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

So explain this 10 bolt concept please. What do they come out of? Will I need to shorten it to fit the little Galant? I would rather an open diff than the welded one.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Galant and GE Scorpion used the same 8 bolt centres.
GH and later Scorpion, L200, L300, Pajero & EX Lancer all used the same 10 bolt centre. (maybe Starion too, not sure)
I don't know if later Sigmas used the 10 bolt Jap diff or not, I do know some used BW junk.
My car has a stock width Scorpion 10 bolt housing fitted with Sigma turbo alloys and 10mm spacers. Tyres don't scrape at all.
The GC/Ds do have a wider body than the GA/B and the hardtops are wider again. The diff will fit under your car without being narrowed, wheel width and offset will determine if your wheels fit under there with a stock 10 bolt diff.
10 bolt Vs 8 bolt is how many bolts actually hold the diff centre to the housing. 10 bolts are a much bigger centre and therefore stronger, they are also available with a limited slip option if you can find one for sale, they are getting pretty rare these days. Expect to pay up to $1000 just for a good LS centre.

My car with Scorpion diff, 10mm spacers and turbo alloys

10 bolt LS centre :D

In my Galant
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

So the turbo ex lancer LSD diff is a straight swab for the stock gb diff centre? My old man lives in Japan so ill be getting him on the hunt for me if this is true!!
simon

Post by simon »

is the diff your using locked solid or does it have some freeplay ,the welded diffs we use to use had about a 1/4 or 1/3 wheel turn before they locked which would let you set up for a corner before the diff locked
Simon
simon

Post by simon »

is the diff your using locked solid or does it have some freeplay ,the welded diffs we use to use had about a 1/4 or 1/3 wheel turn before they locked which would let you set up for a corner before the diff locked
Simon
A112H

Post by A112H »

fridgeGB wrote:So the turbo ex lancer LSD diff is a straight swab for the stock gb diff centre? My old man lives in Japan so ill be getting him on the hunt for me if this is true!!
Nope, Galant is 8 bolt, EX is 10 bolt
A112H wrote:Galant and GE Scorpion used the same 8 bolt centres.
GH and later Scorpion, L200, L300, Pajero & EX Lancer all used the same 10 bolt centre. (maybe Starion too, not sure)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

There's an 8 bolt LSD from a jap car.. And it's the only car to have one... I thought it was the ex lancer? Hmmm... :wut:
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Only one I have heard is a super rare option on JA maybe JB Starion were 8 bolt LSD. Pretty sure the more common Starion LSD is 10 bolt in JB/D
There were Colt Speed rally Galants fitted with LSD's but rocking horse shit would be easier and cheaper to find
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

So I can get one of these from an L200; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 910914.htm and fit it to the 10 bolt disc brake EX Lancer diff I have acquired with no problem then?
:think:
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

simon wrote:is the diff your using locked solid or does it have some freeplay ,the welded diffs we use to use had about a 1/4 or 1/3 wheel turn before they locked which would let you set up for a corner before the diff locked
Simon
No Simon, this thing is locked solid. Not a great option.
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Jason. I do have a complete Scorpion which I was still deciding what to do with. Sounds like I might be wrecking it ;-)