GD Sedan / GC & GD Coupe HID Conversion. Amazing.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
shuggy

GD Sedan / GC & GD Coupe HID Conversion. Amazing.

Post by shuggy »

So after working out im going to need to put a bigger alternator in for my landing lights, I worked out that I really don't want to put any more stress on my little 1.6 so I went with converting to halogen first.

Turns out I had a bunch of spare conversion 5.75 inch headlights but only had one high beam so I just installed 4 x H4 and used only the high beam filament of the inner lights. They don't fit into the adjuster plates snug so had to just tilt them both to the left a bit to accommodate.

Then I had an idea to convert all 4 to high and low beam. Obviously this would draw a heap of power so I decided I could go HID to conserve power.

Anyway today I installed them and it's amazing. Truly great light.

The ballasts run off a relay from the battery triggered from the existing headlight wiring. So I snipped and ended all but my far left wire and joined 2 harnesses together on the relay trigger and connected that. 2 harnesses powering 4 ballasts and in turn giving me 4 high and 4 low beam lights!

I highly recommend doing this. Even if you just convert to 4 H4 halogen with a relay setup if your alternator is big enough.
davetrees

Re: GD Sedan / GC & GD Coupe HID Conversion. Amazing.

Post by davetrees »

Have you got them switched so that you can just run the 2 outer low beams (rather than 4 low beams) ? You might find that 2 low beams only is the legal requirement ... pretty sure that's the case in Victoria, anyway.

I think HID conversions into hi/lo lights are technically illegal anyway, unless it's an ADR-compliant conversion kit ..... because HID headlights use different shaped reflectors to reduce glare for oncoming drivers. I know this has been an eligibility issue for rally cars. You would probably be stiff to get caught though.