GC Galant Queries

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Gormzz

GC Galant Queries

Post by Gormzz »

Hey All,

Firstly i am just curious if anyone has swapped out the leafsprung rear end for a irs coilover type setup on a gc/gd galant?

Secondly whats a common differential swap thats obviously alot sturdier then the standard one?

Lastly in regards to motor swaps.. Is a 13bt to vague in people's minds? I can't get enough of them and i believe the GC platform would be perfect for one, if any other suggestions then please say so (prefer turbo rotor, 4 or 6 cylinders)

Cheers Guys.

Daniel.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
2Lgalant

Re: GC Galant Queries

Post by 2Lgalant »

If you go rotor I have a crossmember to bolt one in also we mainly go for sigma or scorpion diffs and also old school Hilux LSD
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Did you originally have a rotor in yours? Ohh ok, how strong/reliable are the sigma/scorpion diffs? Yeah i've been told to go the hilux lsd.. I really think i want to piss off the leaves at least lol.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

I like the way this guy thinks. Not many here like the idea of us putting dirty rotas in our galants lol.
I'm putting one in a gc coupe but hopefully Pp na not turbo and it will be solid mounted with an engine plate. For me a rota is working out cheaper than a 4g63t by a long way, until I loose my 1st apex seal lol.
We have put a 10 bolt scorpion diff under it and I'm still trying to confirm if an evo diff centre can be made to fit, if it does I'll be giving a kazz or something similar a go, it should be able to cope with 300hp fine.
check the builds thread there are a few pics of the diff set up. (it will change a bit from what's there now)

Got any pics of yours?
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Not that this is contributing much, but I did put wagon springs on the back to make the rear a bit firmer, and my ride is much better (even though they're still leaves)... the standard springs at the back are pretty bad. Other than that, I'm stock in the suspension/axle arena :-)
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

@75gus - cheers mate! I simply love rotors! I'm a all round import fanatic.. but man the sound of a rotor getting up into the top rev's or coming onto boost is just something that gives me shivers down my spine.. Yes! I'm leaning towards a BP Turbo... But i've been told by a few to just leave it as a N/A Bridgey cause with the weight of the car it should still go hard! Yeah the other option was to drop a 4g63t.. but i already got one in the starion which im converting to mpfi.. then later on a twincam setup. I'll have a look at your thread now mate, thanks! Will get some pictures soon in its "ok" state lol.

@Lukeaussie - ohh yeah nice. i was thinking of just flipping or resetting the leaves, thoughts?
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Also according to the Infrastructure Queensland Government website, its legal to register a 13bt into a gc galant! Only just though.. Really leaning towards it now unless i was to be lazy and just drop in a sohc or dohc 4g63t... But can't beat that rotor sound!
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Put a 4G63 in the Galant and buy a Victa 2 stroke lawn mower to get your rotor sound fix :P
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

But i already know of one person doing a 4g63 swap in my town into a gd galant.. i want to be different!! lol.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Chuck a 1UZ in it if you are looking for different, there are a few with rotors in them.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Can you link me photos or threads of these rotor galants? lol 1uzfe would be cool but alot more of a headache for fitment etc.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

You know you want one too Jason :P
Gormzz if you don't want your bridgey I'll take it lol.
Just get a set of springs made to what you need, it only costs a few hundred. A good panard rod setup will do ok with a scorp diff if you dont mind beating the guards a bit to get a decent tyre under there. look at Karls(can't remember username) car, he has it pretty well sorted.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

believe it or not i don't actually have a rotor yet! I'm more or less throwing ideas around as i've only recently obtained the GC and still working on my mx32 cressida and starion as they were first in line.. lol. Yeah thinking of just running a live axle with a lsd setup and just inverted coilovers each side of the differential so i have height adjustability and don't have to worry about a complete IRS setup.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Stock leafs don't like the weight of the hilux rear too much lol. Mind you, my coupe only has with 2 leafs per side, but i still don't see wagon leafs. Improving too much on that axle. The stock axle is light as shit compared to the hilux. To move away from leaf to something like a 3 or 4 link will necessitate a fair amount of work. I'm headed down that path, but I got to save my pennies for that, because either a rollbar or rollcage is needed to incorporate the upper strut mounts as the stock mounts are not strong enough to support the weight of the car + axle.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

yeah it will be quite a while of yet if i was to go down that path.. for the meantime i might just get it driveable.. and reset the leafs or something, some nice wheels and just cruise in it until i'm ready to really transform it.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.