Buying advice on GTO??

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
02Anders

Buying advice on GTO??

Post by 02Anders »

Hey guys!

My first post here, and I'm quite the rookie when it comes to Mitsubishi's, so please don't shoot me if I ask a few stupid questions along the way... :$

I come from Denmark but currently based in Hong Kong. I'm considering buying a '76 Colt Galant GTO GS-R that's for sale at the moment. Though I'm really more into classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's, it's a car I must admit that I've admired for many years now. Maybe now it's finally time to live the dream...??

But before I go have a closer look, I was hoping for a bit of buying advice from the pro's! :wink:
I'm quite well-traveled in old classics, so the general basics should be alright as in looking for the usual and obvious rust in wheel arches, door bottoms, inner- and outer panels etc etc... But are there any weak areas in particular to the GTO's that I should know about?? That question goes for rust as well as mechanical issues.
And what's the spares situation for these cars?? Are general service items still readily available?? Are repair panels available?? I take it that various trim in and out is no longer around, so that'll be ebay and perhaps this forum if something is missing or bent...
Also, I'm a bit of a freak for originality. On that note, is there anyway I can check (perhaps VIN number??) whether the car in question was indeed born as a GS-R or if it's "just" a GTO with retro-fitted flares??
And can I check anywhere what the original colour of the car was?? And if it's maybe even still a "matching numbers" car??

All input and advice is much appreciated, so please speak up!!
Thx. :D
Fun is not a straight line...!!

Best regards,
02Anders.
A112H

Re: Buying advice on GTO??

Post by A112H »

I don't think we will be a real lot of use to you sorry Anders. The GTO was never sold here new and I think there would be maybe 10 in the country.
02Anders

Post by 02Anders »

Hmmm... shame. :(
Was hoping that maybe one of those 10 owners would speak up then... ;-)
Aren't there a few of them in the UK too?
Wouldn't it share most of the drivetrain, suspension, steering and brakes with the other Galants of that age??

Regardless, I'll probably be inspecting the GTO on this coming Wednesday. Fingers crossed that she's a good one...

Best regards,
02Anders.
A112H

Post by A112H »

All the mechanicals, engine, gearbox, diff, front and rear suspension, are the same as 1973-'76 Galants.
The doors and door windows are the same as other 2 door Galants, like mine.
Front seats are interchangable with '73-'76 Galants.
Complete steering column is the same as '73-'76 Galants including the indicator mechanism, surround and steering wheels.
Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase. Make sure you chuck up some pics if you buy it :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Thankyou for taking the time to ask us for info 02Anders.

There are a few members of this forum that may be able to help you. Yes Australia never had these available new, and the only ones we have are imports, but Japan did get them new and New Zealand have plenty of them. Maybe some of the members may be able to help with the information you need?
But I will go as far as saying this, I have owned Mitsubishi's since the early 90's. I have always found them to be the most reliable of cars. I will have owned my current Galant wagon for 10 years this coming January. I can do nothing but vouch for the quality of the products that they produce (dollar for dollar, they are second to none).

If you cannot get the answers you are after on this forum, try japanesenostagiccar.com. Message Garant, he will be able to help you or at the least be able to put you on to someone who can help if he cannot.

All the best in buying a Japanese classic, I hope you enjoy your experience.

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
02Anders

Post by 02Anders »

Dave, I am the one that's thankful here, as you and Jason are kindly taking the time to help me out.
So thank you to the both of you! :)

Knowing that all the mechanical bits are shared with the other Galants of that age is good news.
But what's the spares situation like for them? Are general service items like ignition parts, filters, belts, brake discs/pads, shock absorbers, wheel bearings, ball joints and exhausts still readily available or will I struggle to keep a GTO on the road?

Also, can anyone fill me in on the details between a regular GTO, a GTO GS-R, a GTO MR and any other variants produced?

Best regards,
02Anders.
02Anders

Post by 02Anders »

Can barely wait for tomorrow afternoon!! :D
That's when I finally get to inspect this dark green GTO...
And don't worry Jason - if I do buy, I will obviously do my best to tire you with bucketloads of pics of my new toy... :lol: :lol:

Best regards,
02Anders.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Welcome mate :)

As far as I know they use the same wheel bearings, brakes, suspension etc as the 73-76 galants. So they shouldn't be an issue. I can walk into my local parts dealer here and order new tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, rubbers, etc. for springs. You can go on eBay and search "galant king springs" and you shall find those :)

Aren't the drivetrain in those 2.0 4g52?

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
02Anders

Post by 02Anders »

Well first of all a big thanks for the advice! :thumpsup: I also got a helping hand from some of the guys on Japanese Nostalgic Car. It was truly a big help when inspecting a car that I honestly have zip experience with.

But sadly the GTO I looked at was unfortunately a classic example of "good from far, but far from good"!
As I pulled up outside the fencing it was hiding behind, my pulse rose. Damn, it looked horny in it's army green all flared up and with black wheels. But already as I walked towards the car it became clear that reality wasn't quite that rosy.
Rust EVERYWHERE!! Also loads of filler and a very old paintjob suffering from crazing and cracking on just about every panel. Brightwork was dull at best, rusted through at worse. The interior stank bigtime of mold, the steering wheel was coming apart and the dash was covered with several horrid and cheap plastic wood-cappings that were crudely bolted on.
The steering had unbelievable amounts of slop in it!! Don't think I've ever come across any other classic were it was even near that bad. Granted, the engine sounded good and the gears slotted in fairly nicely. But the suspension was fubar too - certainly needed all new bushings, bearings, tie-rods, ball joints etc.

I obviously grabbed a few pics. From a distance (and on pics) it certainly looked stealth! :twisted:

Paint letting go on all the filler!

Both C-posts were like this.

The whole rear panel was like this.

Tacky plastic cappings on dash in moldy interior.

As for which model it was, I'm guessing a 'GS' as that's what it said on the air filter box.
Hmmm... a bit weird though with the flares but lacking the front air dam. But I guess the air dam has just gone missing at some point during its clearly hard lived life...

Now I know these cars are mega rare and quite collectable, and granted he wasn't asking a fortune for it, so I hadn't been expecting a concours queen anyhow. Though I'm really looking for a classic that is readily useable as I simply don't have the time nor the space for a project here in Hong Kong, I must confess that I for a short while considered giving the seller a filthy bid and then diving head first into a full resto. I stood there scratching my head as I considered my options and peared into the engine bay. Started looking for those 'A57C' and '4G52' numbers that were mentioned on JNC. Yup! They were there alright. But WTF!! :shock:
The VIN numbers didn't match!! The number stamped into the right inner wing and the number on the VIN plate were different...?? Uhmmm... not cool!! :roll:

That I guess was the deciding factor for me!
And sitting here in the comfort of my home thinking that decision through, I'm confident that VIN numbers matching or not, I did well in NOT buying this tired ol' girl...

Best regards,
02Anders.
02Anders

Post by 02Anders »

However, it would seem that there's at least 3 other GTO's in Hong Kong, so maybe - just maybe - I'm still in with a slim chance of one day becoming a GTO owner... ;-)

Best regards,
02Anders.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

If there's ever a chance of me owning one of these.. I'd beg, steal and borrow to have one! :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
shelbygto

Post by shelbygto »

1971 GTO 4G32 SATURN DOHC AIII

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
partyboyjay

Post by partyboyjay »

Hi 02Anders, I've only just read your thread, as shelbygto has pointed out there is a minter in NZ, there is an article on that car, it's had a lot of love and care go on that, being professionally restored by mitsubishi themselves and is in near perfect condition! there are a few more in NZ around the $8000 NZD mark aswell.

I'm over in the UK and currently going through a deep resto as we speak, please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have and i'll do my best to answer them, i've created quite a good friendship with mitsubishi motors and they've been more than helpful with any questions i've had in the past. Parts wise i'm quite a resourceful hunter, and aided by many friends i've gained through here and facebook, although hard to find, the pieces i need are always found eventually and i'm always amassing spares for 'just in case' scenarios!

I've aquired a parts manual so I have all the parts numbers to hand.

Shelbygto is also a great bloke to talk to, his car his a shining example of what can be achieved!

Yes panels are hard to come by, and rust is a disheartening sight but nothing is impossible!!!

As stated please feel free to get in touch and i wish you all the best in yuour future aquisitions :thumpsup: