Brake upgrade. GA galant.. Need help...

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
GLANT

Brake upgrade. GA galant.. Need help...

Post by GLANT »

Need help!! Want to keep 14 inch wheels... Would like to keep standard ga struts.. Any combos that would work well without booster?? ( not a lot of room ) and do sigmas and galant share same stub diameter? Any direction or help would be awesome!! Really looking for a bolt on setup, discs calipers master etc... Engineering the car, so basic guide is an equivalent to a vr4.
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
75glnt

Re: Brake upgrade. GA galant.. Need help...

Post by 75glnt »

Try gd struts.. Still the same struts and same brakes as a ge/gh siggy :) just run no booster and you're set! :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

You don't even need to change struts - just bolt GC/GD disc & caliper onto GA/GB strut. Could probably even get away without changing master cylinder. Stub axle is the same.

There's nothing wrong with the GA/GB disc brakes anyway .... if they are well maintained & have good pads in them. Only advantage of putting the later brakes on it slightly more pad area (vs. a slightly small diameter disc on the GC/GD/GE etc compared to the GA/GB)
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Is your engineer going to pass it without a booster.

Cheers Mic
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Why not ? The GA & GB Galants were unboosted ex-factory, and adding a booster doesn't having any impact on braking (it just reduces pedal pressure)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Engineers are funny people, I can't see why a booster needed. And I agree that ga gb discs ain't bad either... But I need to prepare a list of proposed mods for engineer, so a larger disc and decent caliper combo is wanted.. Read on here about magna discs Volvo calipers bit from this that the other! I want to basically pull ga disc of, put another on make a calipers mount and that's it lol!
75GC

Post by 75GC »

davetrees wrote:You don't even need to change struts - just bolt GC/GD disc & caliper onto GA/GB strut. Could probably even get away without changing master cylinder. Stub axle is the same.

There's nothing wrong with the GA/GB disc brakes anyway .... if they are well maintained & have good pads in them. Only advantage of putting the later brakes on it slightly more pad area (vs. a slightly small diameter disc on the GC/GD/GE etc compared to the GA/GB)
Hi, I also have a GA galant but currently with drums all round. I'm considering options for front disks rather than getting new shoes/machined drums etc. Are you sure you can just bolt GC/GD disk and caliper onto GA/GB strut? Or is that only applicable if the GA has disks already? I just got new springs/ball joints/tie rods etc on the current setup I have so I'd rather not replace everything again... But I do like the idea of disks rather than drums! Thanks, Andrew
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Are you sure you can just bolt GC/GD disk and caliper onto GA/GB strut? Or is that only applicable if the GA has disks already?
No idea ...... I have never looked at a GA/GB drum brake front end.
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Drum and disc struts th same on ga gb, disc setup has an adapter, that bolts to same place as a drum...
Im still trying to figure this out, had mentions of magna db221 disc, and volvo caliper...any one done this?

brake fade test for engineers is as follows.. 100-0 cold brake test... then 60-0, 15 times and 100 - 0, 2 times( brake fade testing)

Really want to keep standard struts, and 14inch rims... magna disc is 24mm thick vented, thatd be nice! Though I dont know if itll fit? Has anyone got a spare ga gb disc hub? Ive got a strut, just so I can suss out fitment without strippin car down...
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

what model
volvo calipers are we talking about
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

these volvo 240 calipers have 17mm rotor space apparently http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0893932403 but i think they also come in a bigger size anyone have any idea if this is right
4GB63t
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

the calipers in the ebay pic are the same ones that I have here mate that ur interested in, that I was ment to fingd and send you pics have been flat out sorry will get on to that
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

No worries mate I've just been researching finding out ad much info as possible
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

I'm pretty sure yours must be the bigger type and take a thicker rotor the ones in that eBay add only take 17mm thick if you could double check that it would be awesome, this looks like a pretty simple conversion
4GB63t
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

I think Cheaterparts still runs 13" rims on his Sigma - maybe ask him what his brakes are.....
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
RacingReady

Post by RacingReady »

What rotors are people using now on GB's? ... All my brake suppliers are telling me they are NLA

Im turning mine into a Rally car, so I'll be doing a big upgrade, may as well do it now when I cant get new front rotors
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

GA/GB rotors are still available new on eBay, but are pricey.

GC/GC/GE/LA/LB rotors are easy to get & cheaper. Just have to use GC/GD calipers with them as well, but disc & caliper are a bolt-up fit on a GA/GB strut
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

this is what im playing with atm $150 for both calipers delivered and $30 for the rotor, so not too expensive to see if this will work, will definitely need a bracket though
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

there are a few issues that can be plainly seen, may even need to look into a different rotor, one a little deeper hat hieght any suggestions
4GB63t
RacingReady

Post by RacingReady »

That picture has inspired me to go Alcons on the front :)