New exhaust system

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
hengagc75

New exhaust system

Post by hengagc75 »

Getting a new exhaust system for my gc next week and just wondering if anyone has any ideas I should do such as dual exhaust or just a single etc. if anyone could show me pics of what they have on their car it would be great thanks.
75glnt

Re: New exhaust system

Post by 75glnt »

I'd say single exhaust... But twins would look cool! But would have to be around 1-1.5" in diameter.. Or you'd lose all back pressure

Myself, I'm running a 2" single with tuned lengthed extractors 4-2-1. Heat wrapped and has 2 mufflers to keep me police man happy :) sounds good and IMO is plenty for my worked 1.6

What engine are you running?
N/A ALL THE WAY
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

mine has 4-1 extractors, single 2 inch pipe with one hotdog resonator and a redback muffler, sounds ok, def louder than stock
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

I'm running 4-1 extractors and 2 1/4" exhaust with one hotdog and one muffler sounds quite good for a 1600
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I ran Lukey 4-2-1 headers going into twin 2" pipes. Was a very unique sound (love or hate scenario) coming out of a Scorpion wagon. Not one person could work out what engine was being used (for the record, it was a stock 2.6 Astron I with an out of tune Weber).

The note came out of such was system was similar to that of a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle.

If you want pics on how te system looks...lemme know, i've got pics of my system out of the car (minus the headers)

If you do run the rwins, you'll fall into uncharted territory in terms of how the car will sound and how it will be mounted (room around the fuel tank for eg).
And in terms of sound, u really only have the one shot at it, otherwise you'll be spending money trying to chop and change it around to make it sound better

But you'll have something totally unique...and well, that's the idea of "Street Machining" isn't it???
Building something to ur own tastes?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Ive got a cheap second hand set of extractors and a 2" single system with 1 resonator and 1 muffler with a dump at the end. IMO it sounds awesome, but thats just me, got some videos so you can her how it sounds.

exhuast sound:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wESvClrRgvA

Sound While driving:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rcNx9qyFiY

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

My car is completely stock and since I'm on my ps I can't modify for performance so I am thinking of leaving extractors out of the picture for now. Don't want to be losing my demerits. Not really fussed if I lose power to be honest, it's an auto 1.6 so not too quick anyway! I am thinking of buying this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewi ... cmd=VIDESC

Tell me what you think
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

looks alright, just be careful and measure how much room you will have between the Fuel tank and the R/H leaf spring before you buy it, nothing worse than dumping cash on something that in the end wont fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought it was only modifications that require a mod plate that are a problem for P platers. I'm driving around on my P plates with a Worked 4G32 and the above mentioned exhaust system
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea in qld it's strictly no mod tags. But you can have up to 200kw in a 4g32 (if possible :P ) and still be allowed to drive it
N/A ALL THE WAY
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

One of my mates got done for having extractors in his commodore because it is performance enhancing and from what I've read if you modify for performance it's illegal..

This is what I found on vic roads' site:

Definition of probationary prohibited vehicle (from 1 July 2007)

A vehicle that:
has an engine with eight cylinders or more, or
has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (except those listed in the probationary vehicle database). There are also some lower powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles which have been exempted and can be operated by a probationary driver who has been given an exemption by VicRoads. Refer to lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles and the probationary vehicle database for more information
has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or
a nominated high performance six cylinder engine (refer to the probationary vehicle database).
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeh that's right hengagc75

NO Victorian P plater can modify their vehicle for enhanced performance (this can go as far as suspension, brakes, gearbox conversions, diff gears, engine, intake, exhaust, interior, wheels and tyres)

Having said that, it really comes down what the cops say when they pull u over at the time....purely because "they know everything and P platers are just hoons"

It's why u see alot of ol' skool metal with venetians, whitewalls and the like down here now, coz they are all mods that the cops (legally) can't touch

It's happened to me, he pulled me over and asked why my car was green when his computer said white......although he had no idea that he was looking ata Scorpion wagon and not a Sigma wagon :lol:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Fair enough, although i thought that cars over a certain power to weight ratio were prohibited to P platers down there, or am i thinking of somewhere different??

At the end of the day you can just tell the police that it was the only replacement you could find as your old manifold was leaking/cracked/stuffed (whatever you want to use).
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Before the hoon laws started for Vic (about 10ish tears ago) that was the restriction....you could drive any car you wanted (within reason) as long as the car was under the pwr/weight ratio AND cubic capacity/weight ration
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Here in qld you can get an exemption for turbocharged or supercharged cars.. Which the ratio is 120kw/tonne! Lol that's still some power! But that's via red book. But they still dyno the car. So if you have a car that has 400hpatw... Do you know what ya do? Get that boost T.. And wind that boost right off! Unplug an injector and tada! You've just passed the dyno :P

I was looking at a starion that's got 340rwkw... So I was just going to do that.
N/A ALL THE WAY
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Stupid victorian laws !
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

What do you guys reckon would be the ideal amount of clearance between the muffler, the petrol tank and the leaf spring
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Actually I've decided to go with the single exhaust, safe option for now.. Show me pics of your exhausts!
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

surley any competent mechanic can make an exhaust with enough clearance to stop it hitting on everything? Its a bit hard to take pics of the systems, they look like every other sports exhausts?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Just head down to your local exhuast shop and ask them, if you get the vibe that they arent taking you serious (and with the amount of D$%*heads that dont take these cars seriously dont be suprised) then maybe check out another exhaust shop.
First place i went to told me to throw my extractors in the bin as they were F'ed (of which i hadnt personally looked at them yet) then went on to quote me a few Grand to custom make a set of extractors and the exhuast system. Next place i went to said 150 if i fit the extractors to the car myself, being a tight arse i of course went with the cheaper option :P
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

hengagc75 wrote:What do you guys reckon would be the ideal amount of clearance between the muffler, the petrol tank and the leaf spring

Legally in Vic, the amount is about 25mm i think (you can always get the pipes wrapped in header wrap to try and keep the heat away)