Accelerator Cable on a GC

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
LukeAussie

Accelerator Cable on a GC

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi everyone,

So I just finished a head, timing chain and carbie rebuild this weekend (a bit of hard work, but got the ol' Gal back up to speed! Let me know if anyone wants details...), and in getting things back together, I noticed my accelerator cable may not have much life left, with some of the steel strands beginning to fray and the cable being a bit sticky. I asked at Sprint today about a newbie, and the guy seemed to think the GC and GD would have different cables, though that sounds a little odd to me. Nonetheless, does anyone know if this is true, and/or where to get a new cable in Adelaide? I may have to source someone to make me a new one from scratch...

Any ideas are appreciated :-) Cheers!
Tj.

Re: Accelerator Cable on a GC

Post by Tj. »

As far as I'm aware there shouldn't be a difference between GC and GD cables unless the end connecting to the carby is different.
When I fitted the 4G63 in my GC I had a new cable custom made as it was a different length and that was done by a company in Milpera here in Sydney called Conwire. I sent them the adjuster end that screws into the firewal and the end off the old cable so they new what it needed to be plus the length it needed to be made to and they had it done in a few days. It was only about $80 from memory.

It might be even easier for you to send them your whole cable to use as a reference.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

I really wouldn't think there was any difference between GC and GD.
There is a GC at UPI Gilman if you are around that way.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. I ended up going to Flexible Drive Agencies in Ferryden Park (on Days Road) here in Adelaide - I believe they have branches all around Oz, and do clutch and speedo cables too. I got a cable listed as suitable for a GB--GD, but after pulling mine off, I found that the cable was too long! The outer casing was about right, but the inner cable was probably around 50mm or more too long. I took the cable back to FDA and they said they can modify it for me, so hopefully I'll have a new cable in the car soon. The cost from these guys was about $50 for the cable, and he reckons it'll be less than $20 for the mods. I'll post an update after the new cable is in the car.

Unfortunately, since my Gal is my daily drive, I couldn't leave the old cable with him to make a new one, but we'll see how it goes. My wife didn't want to go without her car (also a Galant, but a HJ!) for another week after already catching the bus for two weeks while I got my head machined at JH Southcott in Richmond :-)

Talk soon guys!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...there's a machine shop in Richmond? btw, the accelerator cable might have been designed for a DCOE carby set up (but they should've specified what it was used for)
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hmmm, yeah that's a possibility for the cable I guess. Either way, it seems pretty easy to get it altered to suit my car. They just called me a few minutes ago and said it's ready... I just hope I took the measurements properly and the modified one fits :-) I'll let you all know how it goes...

Yeah, JH Southcott is in Holder Ave Richmond, and I guess is related to the Southcotts who used to be in the city? His work is pretty impressive... I've had a few heads machined and welded through him from various cars, as well as honing engine cylinders, etc. And he can source bits and pieces (like quality gaskets, timing chains, piston rings, etc), as you'd expect. I'm always impressed with the service, care and attention to detail, so they get my thumbs up :-) The street is just before Deacon Ave lights off Richmond Road, heading east towards town. I definitely recommend them :-)
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Just as a quick update, I got Flexible Drive Agencies to modify my cable and they did a great job... and best of all, the mod was free! I'm pretty happy with the service and the result... if you go down the path with them, just double check your measurements first.

(and for the record, on my standard carb 4G32, the outer sheath was 760mm from the end of the thread to the end of the cable housing, and 990mm from one cable ball to the other)