timing issues

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
yno26galant

timing issues

Post by yno26galant »

now I just replace my timing chain with a new one, now Iined the crank pully with the timining marks on the timing cover to 0degres. marked out a line on the cam chain too, pulled out the distributor at tdc and now not firing and a slight back firing, im not sure what it is. I put the timing gear to number cyclinder, and still not starting :facepalm:
75wagon
Admin

Re: timing issues

Post by 75wagon »

I've always found the best way to sort these problems is to start at the beginning.
Question and check everything you have done.

Stupid question, are you sure you have all the leads on in the correct order?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

yeah ive the the lead on clock wise 1 to 4 going around.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

yno26galant wrote:yeah ive the the lead on clock wise 1 to 4 going around.
am I reading this as you have the leads on the dizzy cap going 1 - 2 - 3 - 4, coz it should be on there as 1 - 3 - 4 - 2 going around clockwise
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

that could be my problem!?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

BBC is correct, the dizzy runs on the firing order, not numeric order
Built with pride, Driven in anger
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

So I've got the ingnition timing done now. Now it's like my battery is dead and not getting full cranking speed, I've used a muti meter on the post and getting a reading of 12.5volts. I've heard maybe the starter motor gets lazy...? It cranks at normal speed the stops completely and then cranks really slow.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Nice one on getting the timing chain done. Firing order is an easy trap! I did my chain this weekend too, though didn't have the shiny links to align - it's possible to do by measuring the mark on the camshaft pulley to 42 degrees from the head at TDC. Just FYI in case you don't get a chain with two marks next time :-)

With the battery issue, that sounds a little strange. So does the starter motor run at the normal speed, or is it gradually slowing down to dead? Measure the voltage across the battery before, during and after attempting to start, and see what happens. 12.5 is fairly low but should still start. If you see the charge drop to 10V or less on trying to start, and then take a while to recover, it could well be the battery. But if you're getting the starter motor to crank as normal, it could be a different issue entirely.

For instance, if the starter motor starts to speed up (more than usual) and sound like it's missing, you probably have a timing advance/retard issue (the car is firing and spinning the starter motor faster than it should). Let us know the details...

Good luck!
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

When you went to start the car, was the weather cold????

Batteries don't like cold weather and won't crank as efficiently as it would if it were in warmer weather
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hey there yno, how did you go with the timing issues? Was it the battery that died? Look forward to hearing more!
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

hey sorry guys, yeah no my ignition timing was out, superscan showed me a very simple way how to do it. it is started very first turn over, :) timing is all sweet but one problem ive discovered that my timing case has a hair line crack in the centre of it :( looks like I have to pull that timing case off again, pain in the ass :(
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

What a turd...but hey, at least you found the problem and comparitively speaking, not a very complicated/expensive repair...just fiddly