Stupid wide block into GD Galant question

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
VGJONO

Stupid wide block into GD Galant question

Post by VGJONO »

ok so i know there are threads out there about this, cant find a clear answer, so basically i have the opportunity to get a 2.6 and 5 speed, but its a wide block, now here is where im unclear on things, will a wide block motor/box fit a factory manual GD Galant. i know that a factory auto can fit it due to the size of the auto trans tunnel, im just not sure if it is the same case as the GA-b's with the wide block as i know they need work to fit wide blocks into them. any help on this stupid question would be appreciated?

Cheers
VGJONO
75glnt

Re: Stupid wide block into GD Galant question

Post by 75glnt »

As far as I know.. Yes. But with a small amount of persuasion.. :P but yes.. I've been told they fit.. Just!
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The GA/GB's engine bay is pretty tight. The astron will go in but the front of the engine will be right up to the radiator. It'll require elimination of the water pump mounted fan and (I'm not too sure on this part) removal of the radiator spacer to push the radiator forward to the support channel.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers for that info geezer, although my concern is with a wideblock gearbox fitting onto a GD Galant :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I got a T904 into a GD wagon and it didn't hit anywhere (it was an auto'd shell to start off with). I had a brief hand/brain thing there for a minute... :facepalm:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

All good, the auto trans tunnels are huge in comparison, I can land a Boeing 747 either side of my narrowblock gearbox in my GD sedan (originally auto) :lol:
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

wide block will go in a manual body gallant.
If using BW you may have to massage some areas with a big arse hammer, Jap will clear.
Will be a pain in the arse to remove gearbox once in the car as there is not enough clearance for the bell housing with the tunnel, so make sure all your clutch and shit is all good before installing.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Also, if you grab a Jap Box out of a Scorp, it has a shorter extension housing which means, A. Easier fit B. No hack job for the Stick hole C. No need to shorten the prop shaft :thumpsup: . You will need to change the slip yoke though (or possibly fit the scorp prop shaft, I'm not sure of this as i went the other way). You will also need to replace the gearbox mount with one to suit the 5 speed. I removed the clutch fan and replaced with thermos to solve the front clearance problem.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Fair enough, didnt know about needing to mess with the tail shaft, ive already done a 5 speed conversion into my GD daily using a narrowblock, and all i did was fit a standard 4 speed manual tailshaft and its fits fine :\
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

That gearbox is also a starion one am I right?

Anyway... Scorpioncollector has a few Jon :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Fair enough, well i went and looked at a possible transplant yesterday, a 2.6 and 5 speed in a GK sigma, running really rough, coughing black smoke, pretty sure its just a bad combination of the car running rich as well as having super old fuel in it. but i could be wrong so its a bit of a gamble
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

No need to eliminate the water pump clutch fan on a GC/GD, just get a L200 radiator, that 1600 radiator isnt going to be big enough to cool the astron. I had all 3 types of radiators set next to each other, g32, g52, g54. The g52/54 rads were quite bigger than the g32 and the g54 was bigger than the g52.

Swapping yokes is only if all your Jap boxes are big splined, some early wideblock 5spds are small splined too. Wideblock swap is identical to a narrowblock astron swap other than the differences related to the drivetrain. Having swapped a g52 into the 75 earlier this year and now the g54b, the only real difference between them is the gearbox stuff as far as clearances go. I do have to do a little trimming to the shifter hole in the car though, won't be able to get the back 2 bolts on otherwise. I'm using a L200 gearbox (we didn't get those weird BW boxes lol).
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

RaptorReed wrote: I'm using a L200 gearbox (we didn't get those weird BW boxes lol).
Lucky you. Only having mitsu transmissions to choose from eliminates some confusion. IMO you don't have to delete the water pump driven clutch fan, but an electric thermo fan is better all round for engine cooling. It comes with the added bonus of freeing up engine bay space (if you front mount the thermo fan), improving access to work on the front timing cover end of the engine and gaining some extra response.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

While I am keeping the clutch fan (considerably larger and evenly spaced 6 blades vs a g52b 5 blade), I'm also going to wire up an electric fan to a switch for added cooling.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion