First long distance trip

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
hengagc75

First long distance trip

Post by hengagc75 »

In late July me and a couple of mates are planning on driving to a music festival in Byron Bay from Melbourne and I'm a bit worried that the gal won't make it :/ it's a stock 1.6L and done around 170000 k. Is it worth the risk?
75wagon
Admin

Re: First long distance trip

Post by 75wagon »

How many hours driving is it for you?
What mechanical condition is the car in?

I'm confident with an oil change or 2 in there somewhere, my wagon would make it around Australia.
I've never had a problem with reliability with a Saturn.
Galant's in general are very reliable in my experience.

Saying all that though, a 5 speed and a decent set of seats are a must for touring in a Galant.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I would be pretty confident in it, i got my Galant and it done 10,000+ Klm with the original engine of which had been sitting for years before hand, probably would have done another 10,000 or more but i got sick of all the oil leaks and put another saturn i had laying around in it. just give her an oil change maybe an air and fuel filters depending on how old they are and she should be right :thumpsup:

Edit: roughly 3300+klm round trip from city centre to city centre Dave
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Mechanically the car is sound, I will be getting a full service for it in the near future.. The distance itself is 1720 ks so it is a fair track!
webby

Post by webby »

Easily doable, just give it a good service before you leave.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

If the car has already done 170,000km's.....then i'd say that the reliability issue looked after

As like everyone has said, just make sure everything is in tune with oil/water and what not.....but just as importantly (if not more), make sure your safety equipment like brakes, tyres and various suspension components are also upto the task.......no point having an engine last the distance if the rest of the car it aint safe to do the trip in.....good luck with the journey
Built with pride, Driven in anger
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Sounds good. Brakes have been done and I will be getting new tyres and the suspension done sometime soon this month. Thanks for the help lads!
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

If it's worth adding my 2p, I'm planning a round trip to Scotland in the summer and as well as a full service I fully intend to have a full set of ignition parts as well as a spare fuel pump in the boot. Plus tools of course. Everything else can be fixed with ductape :thumpsup:
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

no need for a full set of tools

Knockometer (hammer)
WD40
duct tape

all problems solved! :P
Built with pride, Driven in anger