Dash pad cure?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
mrelshauno

Dash pad cure?

Post by mrelshauno »

Looking at fixing mine. It isn't bad but not really a fixable thing supposedly. I saw a Mini advertised on TM last night with a leather dash pad. I'm thinking of talking to the upholserer about covering mine. I think it could look quite good and I was looking at redoing the seats in leather anyway. Can any of you forsee any problems with this?
geezer101

Re: Dash pad cure?

Post by geezer101 »

Dash pads can have new covers stitched up and pulled over the original. I did one for my LB Lancer hatch (it was a PITA but the end product made it worth while). I gave the entire dash a good clean to remove ingrained dirt and any armorall garbage. Then I used a sharp break away knife and cut out the damaged section (the split area and the surrounding area that has lifted/warped) and filled it with expanding foam, then cut it back and shaped it until it matched the dash profile. Sprayed the dash with adhesive and fitted the cover. I wouldn't use leather on the dash as it's purely a cosmetic finish and will take a lot more $$$ to make and effort to keep it looking good. It would be just as easy to get some vinyl and cover it without going through stitching one up.
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Do you have any pictures of it?
I wish I had found this website before our trip to Adelaide last year. There seem to be alot of members from there.
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Give these guys a go http://www.dashboardrestorations.co.nz/ . They are supposed to be pretty good, but I have not used them personally.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

mrelshauno wrote:Do you have any pictures of it?
I wish I had found this website before our trip to Adelaide last year. There seem to be alot of members from there.
It was the final (and only) part of my retrim that I didn't take a photo of. :( I made the mistake of following my instructor's advice of overlaying material foam over the top face of the dash before spray bonding the new cover to it (didn't want to but teacher supposedly knew best...) I got some indentations but I managed to pull the cover over tight enough to mask most of it.
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

dwlee wrote:Give these guys a go http://www.dashboardrestorations.co.nz/ . They are supposed to be pretty good, but I have not used them personally.
I talked to these guys but they need a bulkhead to tke a mould from and I am at the other end of the country. Their work does sound good though.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Dash Original in Holden Hill do great work...It can cost a bit,but it is top notch.I had a friend take me through the back of the shop and show me how a dash is recovered ...Quite a process.They did a great job on my dash and carpet that needed a custom tunnel stitched into it.
Stickman

Post by Stickman »

There's a crowd in Melbourne that re-skin dashes - I think they do some vacuum type thing. Saw them advertised in Unique Cars (I think that was that mag) & sent them an email. They reckon they can fix anything - even if it's cracked right through. Mine will be going there as soon as I: a/ work out how to get it out; b/ find the time to do it; & c/ find the email or buy an new copy of UCs to get their address. I can't imagine shipping over the Tasman would be a lot costlier than sending one across Bass Straight.
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

dirtjockey

Post by dirtjockey »

I repaired mine. After a fruitless search for a new one (or at least better one) I ended up sending my dash to a crowd (down south) that could supposedly repair anything - originally gave me a quote of $650(ex) based on a photo (actually a few with a lot of detail) but when they got the dash changed the price to $1000 - so I told him to send it back. I spent a day and about $40 and ended up with something that you would be hard pressed to pick from a reskinned one. Layered it in a 450 fibreglass matt - cleaned it up, painted it in rubber paint.

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Many chance of a how-to on that dirtjockey?? :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

I second that request.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I third it
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Nice work dirtjockey! How long has it been since you rubberised the dash? I've had a few things that have been coated with rubberised paint and they've all gone 'funky' (a couple of aftermarket PS2 controllers, spoke inserts on a sports steering wheel) The coating has degraded and gotten sticky - really nasty. That is a pretty extreme repair job you pulled off, most folks would've binned it and tried to find another one. :thumpsup:
dirtjockey

Post by dirtjockey »

How long has it been since you rubberised the dash? I've had a few things that have been coated with rubberised paint and they've all gone 'funky' (a couple of aftermarket PS2 controllers, spoke inserts on a sports steering wheel) The coating has degraded and gotten sticky - really nasty. That is a pretty extreme repair job you pulled off, most folks would've binned it and tried to find another one.
The coating will not be a problem - it's spray on tubliner - the same stuff that I've had on my 4wd for the last three years, tough as nails & flexible, it's probably going to last longer than the car.

If I were able to find a replacement dashpad then I would have certainly grabbed it - but if you look on the forum you will see I asked for nearly 14 months without a response - alas I was left with no choice as it was holding up finishing my car.

If people are interestedI'll stick up how I repaired it with a few pictures - does anyone know which section you would put that in?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Either interior/exterior. Or general/technical chat. Take your pick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

dirtjockey wrote:
If people are interested I'll stick up how I repaired it with a few pictures - does anyone know which section you would put that in?
This is a great thread basis - bang it in "Technical tips and tricks". Cracked and deteriorated dashes are an ongoing problem with earlier Galants and Lancers - being able to repair them DIY style cheaply and have them looking as good as yours is a win. :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This is another thing I have considered on my things to do list.
I will probably have to make a GC/D dash pad mould and produce one in fibreglass or carbon fibre, as decent dash pads are hard to find. I wouldn't bother with the Galant badge recess I'd just go for a smooth look. I want one that's in perfect condition for my wagon project build. And they do not exist.

I also want to build moulds for:
- GC/D carbon/glass console that is made for 5 speeds with drink holders incorporated into them (trying to make them look as factory as possible, if possible).
- GC/D Carbon dash fascias (to replace the wood grain).
- GA/B wagon Carbon door trims (possibly).
- GC/D chin spoilers.
- and maybe a set of GC/D wagon bolt on carbon/glass flares. Depends on what direction I end up going with wheels as to whether or not I need them?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

I done my gd dash in black vinyl and it came out pretty good, except the glue didn't stay stuck cos it was only cheap areosol can stuff. I have to re glue it but I've got proper stuff now so hopefully it will work.
A few finger marks because I put foam on first but they flattened out after a while. I won't be outing the foam under when I re do it tho.
This last pic is after the glue let go.

All I did, was sand out the cracks, fill with fibreglass bog and sand back then trim. Expandable foam is prob a better way to go, especially for bigger cracks.

Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)