Another engine question please....

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
camker

Another engine question please....

Post by camker »

Hi all, Ive searched but I must be stupid because I still have questions.
I am lookimg at a 2.6 conversion into a galant 4 speed. In the olden days I would look for an auto sigma block but from what Im reading here, and from talking to the local engine rebuilders, Im better off going for a magna engine.
My question is, which engine would be the best value for money?
I plan to use twin webers although it looks like Ill have to modify inlet manifold to suit.
There are some models with bigger valves and roller rockers right?
Do I need a manual or auto block?
What other pitfalls are there?

Thanks everyone.
75glnt

Re: Another engine question please....

Post by 75glnt »

I don't know a lot about magnas and 2.6s. But the magnas a fwd, so won't you need to do similar mods like the 4g63t? Thermostat, etc etc? I'd honestly go one out of a sigma, use the m8 head and so on. As for auto or manual. I have no idea? Didn't know there was a difference?

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
camker

Post by camker »

Thanks Mick,
Yes I know there are some mods involved and thats OK if its going to be worth it compared to the sigma engine.
The weber inlet manifold incorporates the thermosat housing.
Ive read that I need a narrow block and that all magnas are narrow block, is this right?
Thanks again,
Cameron.
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

Yea mate all magnas are narrow block.. And they have the water pump running off a belt off the back off the cam. Gotta smack a Welch plug into the hole for the water pump and run a GN timing cover

With the narrow/wide block thing generally all Saturn's and 4g52s are narrow block, 4g54 auto and fwd is narrow block 4g54 5 speed rwd is wideblock
camker

Post by camker »

Thanks mate,
Is there any real difference between the carby and EFI engines? or is it just earlier and later models?
Is the sump the same as the sigma engine?
Which model magna do I need?
Sorry, more:
So I can just get a manual magna and have the flywheel etc? or am I better with a 2.0litre flywheel to cut the weight down a bit?

Thanks again for all the answers.

Cameron.
Last edited by camker on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Thanks for the verification siggylover :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

I don't know if its a 2 to 2.6 thing or a sigma to magna thing but I do know a 2l sump is too wide for a magna block.. you'll need to use a sigma flywheel, starter and the sandwhich plate between the engine and gearbox

As far as I know the engine itself is the same between car by and efi, although there's all different heads so try to find a magna with an m7/8 head and you'll be laughing.. If you want to run twin Webber's a lot of the manifolds are multi fit for astron 1 and 2. If you pick up an EFI magna engine don't forget you'll need a GN/triton/carby magna dizzy to run the sparks
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Also while we're on topic! :P what engine is it that runs the electronic ignition that bolts into a 4g32?

Sorry to pinch your thread for a bit camker :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

I did the electronic conversion yesterday easy as. I used the dizzy out of a triton with coil and ballast resistor just look for T3T on the side of the dizzy only stuff around is making room for the vacuum advance. I had no issue as I locked it up as I run mechanical advance only.

Cheers Mic
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

I'm not too sure on that one... I know I have seen/heard of a few belt drive 4g32 dizzys being electronic.. I also remember somebody saying they swapped the guts of a Starion dizzy into a 4g32 points dizzy... I reckon look for one out of a mid to late eighties 4g32 or 4g62/3 :thumpsup:
camker

Post by camker »

siggyloverWA wrote:I don't know if its a 2 to 2.6 thing or a sigma to magna thing but I do know a 2l sump is too wide for a magna block.. you'll need to use a sigma flywheel, starter and the sandwhich plate between the engine and gearbox

As far as I know the engine itself is the same between car by and efi, although there's all different heads so try to find a magna with an m7/8 head and you'll be laughing.. If you want to run twin Webber's a lot of the manifolds are multi fit for astron 1 and 2. If you pick up an EFI magna engine don't forget you'll need a GN/triton/carby magna dizzy to run the sparks
Thanks mate.
Sorry but which model magna has the m7/8 head?
Do I need to change the sump or does the magna one fit?

Or it it easier to look for a pajero / triton 4g54?

Im hoping to try and get an engine this afternoon to start on so I appreciate the quick replies.

Cameron.
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

I'm can't remember if I hit mine with a hammer or not but the magna sump will work.. Look for a TS magna, as late a model as possible (up till 1996) TR should be OK if you can't find a TS. Tm tn tp have the less desirable heads
camker

Post by camker »

Thanks for the answers again but just one more please..
Am I better off looking for the triton / pajero 2.6 to not have to do the RWD related conversions?

thanks again.
Last edited by camker on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hmm. I'll stick with my xr3000 crane cams ignition :) just expensive that's all! (I'm already using it)

So do all g63s have elec ignitions! Cool :D

And yea mate. I'd do it that way. But that's just my opinion :)

Good luck :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

The magna sump is a lot deeper than the sigma ones and the baffles are not designed for a RWD application. Not a major issue unless you are traveling on bumpy roads with pot-holes.

You will also need a timing cover as the magna one doesn't have the waterpump holes and also the front pulley won't fit. A GN sigma engine can supply the correct timing cover, sump and pulley.

The M6/M7 (hemispherical chamber) and the M8/M9 (Some kidney shaped, some hemispherical) are from the TR and TS magnas.

Cheers.
camker

Post by camker »

Thanks mate,
So is the triton way a better option?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

camker wrote:So is the triton way a better option?
If you can get hold of a 2.6L 2wd triton, that IMHO would be a good option but there are still a few hurdles.

The Triton is a wide Block but it's gearbox is the short Jap 5-speed. Gearstick position would be very close to your current one and I "THINK" you can use the standard cross member, but you will have to ask someone who is more familiar with galants.

The only other issue would be the tailshaft as the gearbox yolk will be different.

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I own galants! Lol. I didn't know about the "short" jap 5 speed? But as far as I know, it's the same x member. You will need the speedo cable from the car that the 2.6 was in (with the usual jap 5 speed). IMHO is use a triton engine. Stronger gearbox. But you will need an auto trans tunnel to fit in the gearbox. If the galant is a factory auto. You're set! :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY