GC- GD interchangability

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
ssive

GC- GD interchangability

Post by ssive »

Hey all,

Ive got a GC at the moment. Come across a parts car (GD) How much of it is the same?

Ive been thinking about putting GD Front on my GC, quite like the 2 headlight look, but i MUCH prefer the back of the GC.
What about interior? For some reason my comp wont load the GD owners brochures on here.

Thanks all!
A112H

Re: GC- GD interchangability

Post by A112H »

Pretty much everything except for the tail lights.
To change the headlights though you will need to change the buckets and they are welded to the rad support on GC/D Galants. Little bit of messing about but easily achievable
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ssive wrote:Ive been thinking about putting GD Front on my GC, quite like the 2 headlight look
As Jason said, you'll need to change the mountings that the headlight buckets attach to (either way GC to GD or GD to GC). They are spot welded to the front apron. The front eyebrow moulds are also different, so they need to be changed over so everything lines up.
GC and GD guards are different. There is a cutout in the GC guard for the blinker assembly to fit. To fit a GD blinker assembly to a GC guard metal must be added, and metal removed for the other way around.
A112H wrote:Pretty much everything except for the tail lights.
The tail light holes are completely different.

Interior trim is almost all the same, colours may be the only difference.
GD auto's came with a full console in auto GL option models, the GC's only came with a small box thing (I wouldn't even call it a console).

Dave...

Edit: and of course the different front bumpers as well. The GD have the parkers blinkers in the front bar, the GC has none at all.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ssive

Post by ssive »

Thanks very much guys!
Was contemplating the GD front (quite like the twin head light front end) but after looking at one today, if i do that my intercooler wont fit *sigh*.
Might just have to run the fog lights on the front bumper (i have an image in my head)

I still need a front bumper for mine, seem to be hard to get over here (would rather GC but not overly fussy - beggars cant be choosers) ha ha.

Thanks again :) at least i know my options now!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Give you the hot tip ssive;
The fog lights from a 2004+ Colt are an exact fit under the bumper of a GC/D. The pressed out bit in the front valance.
Simply cut it out, drill a hole or two and you can even use the stock bracket they came with.

Check these pics;

2004 Mitsubishi Colt XLS RG

1974 Colt Galant

This way you can keep it looking stock and still run fog lights with out drilling into your bumper.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Anyone know where i can get some of those colt fog lights?