Wanted: your opinion :)

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75glnt

Re: Wanted: your opinion :)

Post by 75glnt »

Shit :banh: thanks phil. Been trying to get ya on chat but I keep missing ya :) hmmmm :think: I could drill/ file out the original holes. Tac a nut on some wire. And put the nut with the wire up inside the frame, hold the wire and place the bolt into the nut? Or weld the nut in place before I bolt it all in? I like the last idea :) I knew installing bullbars on 200 series cruisers and prados would come in handy! (That's how you bolt the bar to the chassis)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ok?? So reading over this again. I realise l300 vans come in both wide and narrow?? I have found a l300 complete for $200. I'm hoping its a narrow because I have a jap 5 speed. But. It shouldn't be too hard to find a triton wide block box?
N/A ALL THE WAY
webby

Post by webby »

What was your Jap 'box out of? If it's a 2.6L Scorpion 'box it'll be wide, 2.0L GE Scorpion and Sigma are narrow.
All Jap boxes are Mitsubishi boxes, this includes Starion and Triton boxes. The only difference between a Scorpion Jap 5spd and a Triton/Starion Jap 5spd are thicker gears and needle roller bearings. This makes them a good deal stronger than the Scorpion/GE Sigma-sourced boxes, but with an NA SOHC 4G63 a Scorpion gearbox will be plenty strong enough unless you rape the shit out of it 24/7.
L300s were either wide or narrow, as far as I know this depends on whether the vehicle was auto or manual (auto being narrow, manual being wide).
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

My box is a narrow. As its on the back of a g32. And I don't know what trans the van is. I can't ring until later. So I'll know then. Thanks for the info webby :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

All 4G52's were narrow and all FWD 4G54's were narrow. RWD 4G54's are a mixed bag. My triton box is narrow from a 4G63 MB I think?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ok. So I payed for the van today! Managed to get the lot for $250 :D it looks like it will be a rebuild job. But it was gonna get it anyway! :)

Few questions;

There is a hole in the passenger side wall of the timing belt cover. What can happen with that being there?

Can I unbolt the shifter out if the gearbox and replace it with a standard car one (triton maybe)?

If its a wide block. And the gearbox is a no go. What one should I look for? (Obviously a wide block gearbox :P) but, from what car and why?

That should keep y'all busy till morning :P haha. Thanks guys :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sounds like a good buy. I would be looking for a Triton box either way, they came in both narrow and wide and were as strong as a Starion but cheaper to buy.
They are about the strongest direct bolt up box you will find
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh cool :) thanks jase. So an 85-95 triton 2 litre gearbox? Or did they build the Diesel engines to fit the petrol gearbox? And yea it's a good buy. The engine was recoed pre 100 000k. So he says. He has receipts but he's gotta find em. Any idea about the timing chain cover?
N/A ALL THE WAY