A number of questions, please have a go>

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
mrelshauno

A number of questions, please have a go>

Post by mrelshauno »

I'm pulling things apart as part of the rebuild and are coming up with various questions. Please have a crack at answering all or some if you can.

1/ Does anyone have a good picture of a master cylinder under a bonnet? Mine has a reservoir pretty much touching the suspension tower and that doesn't seem right.

2/ There are 8 small holes along the top of the firewall/bulkhead, above the wiper motor. They would have the back of the bonnet covering them when it is closed. Should this have a seal there? Are the holes to fasten the seal on?

3/ Colt badge on the "C" Pillar. Has anyone successfully tried replacing the coloured resin that cracks and breaks?

4/ Any tips for removing the chrome trim that follows the roof guttering?

Appreciate the help. :D
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: A number of questions, please have a go>

Post by Scorpma82 »

You got modified brakes on your car?

sounds like you've got a different master cylinder on the car that doesnt quite fit
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I'm pretty sure the ledge along the top of the firewall/air channel has a weatherstrip that is held down with mushroom plugs. The stainless steel trim is a PITA to take off - I've used a drift made from timber to slowly work it from one end to the other (obvious, DON'T LOSE THE CLIPS!)
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Scorpma82 wrote:You got modified brakes on your car?

sounds like you've got a different master cylinder on the car that doesnt quite fit
I don't think they are modified. There has been a prang in that corner some time in the past. The master cylinder looks to be the same as the one pictured in my Haynes manual.
A112H

Post by A112H »

The holes are indeed for a rubber strip, it is there to prevent hot air and fumes from escaping and entering the cabin via the air vents.
This pic wasn't taken to show the rubber but you can see it is there

The reservoir does sit very close, again this pic wasn;t taken to show the brakes but can take another one if you need it.

As for the C pillar vent I just picked the old crap out, i think they look pretty good all chrome.

mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Thanks again Jason.
I do agree about the chrome look anyway. It will look good against the red that it will be painted.

The gap to the tower is tighter than that in mine. Something to sort out I think.

Rubber seal is now added to the list of parts required.

Number 4 problem has been resolved. Some good careful work with a trim removal tool, gentle use of a hammer and a small block of wood worked a treat.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Awesome :thumpsup:
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Is the indicator stalk meant to return to "neutral" after turning or is mine faulty?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

mrelshauno wrote:Is the indicator stalk meant to return to "neutral" after turning or is mine faulty?
Nope, it's normal (they're all stuffed :lol: ) Either the ends of the indicator return arms are worn off, the collar in the centre of the indicator assembly is also worn out or the assembly where the indicator stalk has come loose. If you own a Galant with this problem, compare the indicator assembly to the ones used in the early model FWD Colts - I think they're either a direct replacement or appear to be very close.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I second removing (gently) the faded resin from the C-pillar badges. Looks the goods :thumpsup:

1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485