After market GD headlights

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
unique10

After market GD headlights

Post by unique10 »

gday everybody, just blew one of my sealed headlights on the way home and have decided that i dont want to replace it with another because im getting over the crappy light they put out. so im now just wondering if any of you have or have seen after market healights for the GDs, i know with the 7' headlights there fairly generic and theres a wide range of crystal and projector housings, but havent seen that much for the GD. what size are the housings im looking for anyway?
cheers guys.
C_Fernance

Re: After market GD headlights

Post by C_Fernance »

They use 5 3/4" round lights. They used to be fairly common so you can buy a semi-sealed version that take regular H4 globes. They just aren't as common as the 7" version, but most good parts mobs should be able to get them.

If it's one of the high beams you could always use some aircraft landing lights, I have them in my wagon and they work great.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

I recently purchased a set from a mob called Bright light auto parts in VIC...from memory it cost me around 160ish for 2 pairs?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Generic 5.75" halogen inserts are less than $50/pair on eBay.. (Hella or Cibie inserts are pricier, but better quality).

For normal road use the generic ones (eg. Autopal) are fine. Just put good quality globes in them (I use 100/90w in the outers & 100w in the inners) ... and switch them through relays.

The sealed "landing light" type high beam inserts actually aren't legal for road use, I don't think (and halogen inserts are better anyway).
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Those are some bright lights dave! Or maybe just to me, the wagon has a set of 65w Sylvania Silverstar H6024STs. Their dual filament so the the low beams are 55w and the high beam is 65w. Definitely was a better upgrade over the stock stuff, plus a previous owner replaced only one light, but the original koito unit on the other side was still brighter :facepalm:.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
unique10

Post by unique10 »

just an update, ive started searching overseas in the states for a set of projector headlights and i think im getting close but still no luck yet. japan will be next. i know they exist becuase i remember seeing them on a datto which had them on the outside and the yellow ones on thte inside...looked tuff. so im the hunt. ill keep everyone posted if/when i find something.
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

davetrees wrote:Generic 5.75" halogen inserts are less than $50/pair on eBay.. (Hella or Cibie inserts are pricier, but better quality).

For normal road use the generic ones (eg. Autopal) are fine. Just put good quality globes in them (I use 100/90w in the outers & 100w in the inners) ... and switch them through relays.

The sealed "landing light" type high beam inserts actually aren't legal for road use, I don't think (and halogen inserts are better anyway).
Go with Dave's recommendation.

Lots of voltage drop in early Jap headlight wiring, even when they were new.
unique10

Post by unique10 »

ended up getting a set of narvas from autobarn of all places for 100 bucks. was happy to pay it for the housings and globes with which you get the good brand name and you dont have to wait or pay for postage. when i started looking overseas a good point was raised where when they drive on the oppisite side of the road, the headlights are made to aim towards the footpath as not to blind oncoming drivers, so if this was implamented here the lights would blind everyone. so it was a no go for projectors :(
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

But you could adjust the lights yourself..It's just 2 or three screws to adjust the lights. Maybe you could retrofit a set of BMW E30 projectors?
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...like your thinking. :thumpsup:
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

a few months old, but I'm going take up my own advice and do some hunting around for some E30 head lights and actually see about either retrofitting or fabbing something up to use them on my coupe. Bit of a restomod, while still looking semi stock, just with projectors and HIDs in one of the lights. BMWs are dime a dozen out this way.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Found this on Ratsun.net :thumpsup:
If you wanted to use E30 BMW projectors here's a how to for a datsun 510, should be somewhat applicable to our cars as well!
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/19394 ... tallation/
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9323- ... -in-a-510/
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion