front strut brace

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
77galantv6

front strut brace

Post by 77galantv6 »

i am currently on the look out for a strut top brace. something like this....

i cant find one to buy but i was wondering if either someone on this site can make one (or more because i know a few people would buy them) or if someone has modified another brace off another car to suit and could give me the details.

thanks in advance,
Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: front strut brace

Post by EVL076 »

i 2nd that motion :D
Image Image
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

+1, maybe 2 ahah
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Calling cheater Parts.....

Ive been thinking bout one of these for my gc too. I would make one myself but im too spastic.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

you guys do realise these are for looks only on street cars ? and getting one made will be at least $300???
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I've got one on the Corolla. I did notice a difference, but then again they aren't the most solid cars. I'd definently consider one for the Galant and even the Scorp after seeing the difference it made on the Corolla.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

i was told that the added weight of the v6 compared to the saturn may have a negative effect and that a strut brace would help in rigidity (or however you spell it).....

correct me if i'm wrong....

plus, they do look excellent if made well which is a nice little bonus.
'77 Galant V6....

Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

the brace does add rigidity if made correctly but if your car bends with a v6 in there id not be driving it far... the weight is carried by the springs, the brace was there to stop the towers moving in and out and cracking,(and if you own a Corolla you may feel the chassis flex difference) not something galants and lancers do ON THE STREET :) an $80 chinese ebay one wont help either

plus, they do look excellent if made well which is a nice little bonus.
thats why most are fitted , Im not about to try and stop anyone spending money on a fairly useless item :), your choice
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

Torana68 wrote:you guys do realise these are for looks only on street cars ? and getting one made will be at least $300???
money well spent imo..although, i reckon it would come in cheaper than that..
i will be doing hill climbs and some private track days with my Galant :thumpsup:

and im with Karl on this one, as i too, am too spastic to make one myself :lol:
Image Image
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:getting one made will be at least $300???
Made of what ... gold ? It doesn't need to be adjustable or similar, just non-compressible.

The strut brace in my GB comes under the heading of "crude but effective" .... and probably cost about $10 :thumpsup:

(ignore the messy engine bay ... this is what it looked like when I bought it. It's a lot tidier now !)
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Been looking at having one made for a bit now. Helps to have a good friend who is a fabricator.
Was chatting today about it & would be up for making a couple if anyone really wanted one that bad.

Only problem we can see is there is bugger all thread left on the bolts as is, so no chance of one going on under them as is: But where theres a will theres a way.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Made of what ... gold ? It doesn't need to be adjustable or similar, just non-compressible.

The strut brace in my GB comes under the heading of "crude but effective" .... and probably cost about $10 :thumpsup:

no offence but thats butt ugly :) I sort of assumed the guys are after something that look good,fits correctly and has adjustable rod ends , like one you would buy (and the one in the photo) , and that wont be had for $10, good on you for doing it yourself :).
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

the one in the photo is on a galant that is for sale.

only problem is its in the phillipines - the language barrier just confuses everything

plus i figured if someone on here was able to make them i would rather buy it off them,

my 2cents
'77 Galant V6....

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:no offence but thats butt ugly :)
None taken ! I'm very much in the "function ahead of form" camp ... it doesn't need to look good, it just needs to work (and it does). Note that it's a hollow tube .... and with circular tube you don't need very thick walls, so it weighs sod-all.

That said, if I was doing it from scratch it would probably have rod ends on it, but this one was done by the previous owner.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

None taken ! I'm very much in the "function ahead of form" camp ... it doesn't need to look good, it just needs to work (and it does). Note that it's a hollow tube .... and with circular tube you don't need very thick walls, so it weighs sod-all.

:) extra points for doing it yourself and not just paying someone for sure!, who used to own that one? do you have a drawing of the works part?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

81GL wrote: Only problem we can see is there is bugger all thread left on the bolts as is, so no chance of one going on under them
Pretty easy to fix that - just put longer bolts in your strut tops.

When a mate & I built one for his Datsun 1600, we used an old set of strut tops with the rubber removed (burned it out with an oxy) turned upside down as the mounting plates, then welded the brackets for the brace to them. Way easier than fabricating plates from scratch. The brace itself was a length of round tube with a nut welded into each end and rod-ends screwed into them.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

GA, GB, GC, GD, GE and GH are all the same (3bolt)
as with GJ (4bolt) onwards are all the same.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:do you have a drawing of the works part?
I don't think they even ran them. Probably doesn't improve the handling in a rally car much anyway - just helps the shell last longer !
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

GB_BB4C wrote:GA, GB, GC, GD, GE and GH are all the same (3bolt)
as with GJ (4bolt) onwards are all the same.

bolt pattern same but width???
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

davetrees wrote:Pretty easy to fix that - just put longer bolts in your strut tops.
Sounds easy enough, but I'm yet to find suitable bolts to have pressed back in?

This would deffenetely be my preferred option though; even if it does mean it is no longer a bolt on item as such.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

81GL wrote:I'm yet to find suitable bolts to have pressed back in?
There is bound to be some Jap car (Mitsubishi or otherwise) that has longer strut top bolts with the same spline on the shaft .... go hunting at a wrecker.

Alternatively, just stick some bolts through and tack weld the heads so they don't turn when you undo the nuts.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:bolt pattern same but width???
Sigma strut tops bolt straight into a GB .... that's what my car has (Sigma strut tops on GB struts)
stealth

Post by stealth »

righto sorry dean didnt think it was going to be this much drama
if SOMEONE can trace there strut top or even better send me a strut top
and give me a measurement from centre to centre of the towers
i will make them
so someone pm me and we will go from there
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

davetrees wrote:
Torana68 wrote:bolt pattern same but width???
Sigma strut tops bolt straight into a GB .... that's what my car has (Sigma strut tops on GB struts)

... I mean width between the towers, I would be amazed if all galants are the same :D
woops

Post by woops »

GB have a wheel track 1305mm for sedan and wagons
GC-GD wagon same as GB at 1305
GC-GD sedan 1315 1305 and 1320 depending on model
GC-GD coupe 1305 and 1315 depending on model

So going on the info from the wheel track then there may be slight differences in the width of the strut tops but not so much that 30mm of adjustment wouldn't be able to sort out. That's only if the chassis hasn't been twisted in any accidents at all over it's years.

From the workshop manuals. Although the workshop manual also says that the GC-GD galant had a 1600 saturn and1850 and 2L astron fitted too. Anybody heard of these as factory fitted. I know the GTO came out with the 2L twin carb astron but i didn't think any of the galants did. Nice thing about the manual is that it also gives some torque curves for these engines.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Stealth thats cool man. i didnt think that many people would want them either lol.

i was just throwing the offer out there to any other people that were interested in buying or giving details of "how to"....

measurement from centre to centre is 925mm (thats from the centre of the strut top)
from inside bolt to inside bolt (of each strut) is 815mm.

if you need any other info, just pm me

others correct me if my car is different

cheers,
Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

woops wrote:Although the workshop manual also says that the GC-GD galant had a 1600 saturn and 1850 and 2L astron fitted too.
Not in Australia as far as I am aware .... but pretty much standard in Japan & the USA.

Are they actually Chrysler GC/GD Galant workshop manuals ? Or JDM Mitsubishi ones ?
woops

Post by woops »

The are Chrysler Galant Model A112, A114 Service Manual Chassic Group with a Chrysler Australia LTD on the front cover. Although all the photo's and drawings of the cars have the jap spec tail lights and guard badges and colt galant references everywhere. There 5 sedan, 4 coupe and 3 wagon model variants listed. The GC-GD only came out with the 1600 engine in australia right?

It looks like the manuals have been made for australia with just a few pages at the start Changed.

The GB manual also gives a listing showing the conversion between the aussie GB chassis numbers and the 7 different A53 and A54 mitsubishi models but only has the 1400 and 1600 engines used. I think the GA had the 1300 and 1500 engines used but i don't think there is any other real differences.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
stealth

Post by stealth »

no worries dean i will chase down a three bolt strut top from somewhere
and make one up then we will have to test fit to make sure its all good and
then i smash out a hole heap of them
cheers all, stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

is the width from strut to strut the same on GA-GD sedan/coupe/wagon?