Wideblock 5 spd in a GE

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
SS16MA

Wideblock 5 spd in a GE

Post by SS16MA »

tell me if theres something better i can do but, im planning on getting a 2.6 out of a magna (dont know which engine number yet, or narrow or wide block) and working it for a bit more power, anyway main question is, if it comes to it, how can i get a wideblock box into a ge so that the shifter and everything else works nicely as im not a big fan of chopping up my interior, any idea or advice is more than appreciated, or also anyone in sydney whod have an engine and box for sale, cheers guys (will upload pics when i figure out how)
SS16MA

Re: Wideblock 5 spd in a GE

Post by SS16MA »

also any advice on turboing the thing, would like some up n go, sick of this 2l putt putt motor
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

Hey Mate

to answer your questions

-To make the shift work in your car is very easy if you use a wideblock jap box, there is a top section that extends the shifter to fit in the later model sigmas all you have to do is take this off and get a narrow block box end, i did this when i put a narrow block jap 5 speed in my GK but i had to do the opposite i put the extended shaft bit on to make it line up with my shifter hole.

i have some pics if that would help

- All magna motors are narrow blocks so i you use one of them you will have to use a narrow block jap 5 speeds which are not as common as the wide ones so that's something to consider

- as for fitting up a wide block box into a ge im pretty sure they are the same as a gh so you should have no worries doing that just need gearbox cross member and all the usual gear.

Hope that helps

will find pics for you regarding modding the box
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

Also if you would like information on doing turbo work on your astron you can take a look at my build thread i have done a 2.6 efi turbo and also a 2lt carby turbo as well so shoot me any questions you have

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

I converted my blue GE Sigma SE from 2.0 3spd auto (narrow block) to a norrow block 5spd manual and then to a 2.6 Astron II wide/big block with 5spd manual from a GN Sigma with a TS Magna roller rockers head. Because I already had the narrow block 5spd manual Jap box (originally from a 1.6 GE Sigma GL), to ge the GN Sigma wide block 5spd to fit I had to swap the rear part of the gearbox (the bit where the gear stick bolts to) so the gear stick sits closer to the front of the car, as the GJ, GK and GN Sigma manual gearboxes have the gear sticks sitting further back towards the rear of the car compared to earlier model ones. I still had to cut a small section on the car floor so the gearbox doesn't touch and bang onto the transmission tunnel. The factory automatic Sigmas do have a much bigger and wider transmission tunnel too, kinda makes the 5spd seem tiny in there, perfect if you're thinking of putting a V8 in there or something!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

SS16MA

Post by SS16MA »

thanks for all that :thumpsup:

do you know if the magna motor will bolt onto the old 5 spd box (narrow) just wanna do a quick straight swap while i save up for running a turbo
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

No worries. Yes the Magna motors will bolt up to a narrow block 5spd box. Not sure on which flywheel and clutch to use though...

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

BAD-SIG wrote:No worries. Yes the Magna motors will bolt up to a narrow block 5spd box. Not sure on which flywheel and clutch to use though...
the magna flywheel has no spiget bearing , so use a 2 lt sigma flywheel and heavy duty clutch

the front timing cover needs to be changed to astron 2 sigma front cover

you will also find that sigma eng mounts will bolt straight up on the magna motor
you will need to extend the wire for the oil presure switch

thats the major things
cheater
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Wait, so a Manga block will bolt will bolt into the car with only those mods??????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
SS16MA

Post by SS16MA »

just curious, why does the front timing cover need to be converted over? will the one off my 2lt astron fit as the replacement or do i need to get it off a 2.6?
SS16MA

Post by SS16MA »

also do i need to take the inlet manifold off another motor, coz im looking at pics and the 4 cyl magnas have the air intake going the other way, as in if i put it in a sigma it would be sucking from the firewall
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

SS16MA wrote:just curious, why does the front timing cover need to be converted over? will the one off my 2lt astron fit as the replacement or do i need to get it off a 2.6?
As the magna ran a water pump driven off the back of the cam, their timing cover doesn't have any holes to successfully mount a standard sigma water pump, Also, the front pulley will need to be off a RWD engine (Sigma/Scorp/Triton/Pajero) because the timing mark is in a different spot and the magna pulley will foul on the sigma timing cover.
SS16MA wrote:also do i need to take the inlet manifold off another motor, coz im looking at pics and the 4 cyl magnas have the air intake going the other way, as in if i put it in a sigma it would be sucking from the firewall
A GN sigma manifold will fit on the Magna heads but you may have to modify the manifold a little. The issue is the rear water port, the sigmas had a small water port, basically it's just for the heater, but the Magnas had a large port, because this was now their Primary water port.

I have seen some adapter plates to compensate for that but IMHO, getting the manifold welded would probably cost just as much.

Cheers.
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

So let me get this right, a wideblock gearbox will fit into the transmission tunnel of a 2.0 auto GE sigma??
It is (obviously) a narrow block engine, so i would need a different engine, but it won't be too wide for the tunnel??

I have a narrow Jap box in the shed, but the extension housing I think is too long as its off a later model.
Would it be possible to to put the Bell housing from the narrow block onto the wide block, or would it be better to swap extension housing.
The reason I'm asking, there is a triton wide block in the for sale section, which I'm led to believe would be a short extension housing. So the length is right but it is a wide block, and is also a bit stronger than a sigma Jap box.......?

Luke
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Try this one. Wide block motor into ge sigma will fit with wide bellhousing gear box from a 2.6 scorpion . no probs.

Narrow block Motor. 5 spd box from a L200 Narrow same length. Input shaft bigger (need clutch to suit, same as Borg/Warner clutch) tailshaft spline different than sigma.

That jap box your have won't fit without cutting the tunnel and then the console wont be right." I'm looking for one of this type

The gear box tunnel in your GE wont be a problem, deciding which way you want to go will be.

Just fitted a wide block 2.6 mtr and gearbox from a GN hightop wagon into a GJ Scorpion. It had the Magna type head with the large rear water jacket with manifold to suit.

Best advice giver Superscan811 "The Man with the Know How."
Rokinfreekapotamus

Thank you Scorpioncollector,

So a Scorpion running gear will be easiest? But an L200 will fit with some other parts....I may have an L200 box as well, not sure of condition, and had totally forgot about it until now.

While i've go you here, will the diff from an 1982 scorpion match the GE sigma, much/any modding needed???

Being a collector of scorpions, you don't happen to have a scorpion box you speak of, and are located northern NSW or Southern QLD and would like to swap for the gearbox you need?

Last time i used the gearbox was a few years ago, but its been kept sealed up in a shed. It was shifting fine and didn't whine last it was used, only reason it stopped being used was the body was rusting a heap, it needed a new clutch, motor needed rings and I decided I'd rather an AWD magna. It came out of the car as my brother was thinking to use it in his car, which he never did.
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

It depends on what diff your GE had stock. Mine had a banjo type diff which was basically a smaller version of the Scorpion diff, so a GE or GH Scorpion diff will fit if you use all suspension arms and handbrake cable. Not sure if the diff would fit if you had a Borg Warner diff in your GE Sigma though, never tried it.

Rokinfreekapotamus

best/quickest way to tell which is which??

Luke
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Banjo type diff has a fixed rear part of diff centre housing and the bolts are on the tail shaft side. Borg Warner diffs have a removable lid with bolts on it on the back of the diff on the side that faces the rear of the car (opposite side to where the tail shaft bolts up).

Very interesting comparison and read on diffs for Datsun 1200 (relevant to us Sigma owners, it even mentions the infamous Nissan R31 diff and brakes swap!): http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki ... fferential

Banjo diff, rear view of housing:

Brog Warner diff, rear view of housing:

BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Also to note, the factory auto GE Sigma had a much bigger transmission tunnel due to the auto trans being bigger than the narrow block manual gearbox. Like I said before, I successfully transplanted a GN Sigma wide block and manual gearbox onto my factory automatic GE Sigma and there was still plenty of room between the gearbox and the transmission tunnel. Also, I forgot to mention I had to fabricate two small flat metal pieces for the rear gearbox mounts, as the mount on the manual gearbox sits a bit further back than the stock Borg Warner auto trans mounts did. I also own a GE Sigma with a Torqueflite trans and the transmission tunnel is also quite large, same as my other GE with the factory Borg Warner auto.

In my opinion, the best way to go if you want an Astron II in your GE Sigma is to buy a GN Sigma donor car, fit the GN Sigma block to your GE, make the oil pressure sensor wire a bit longer, swap the extension housing from the GN Sigma 5spd Jap box to one from a GE-GH Sigma/Scorpion Jap box, fabricate two small flat pieces of metal so the rear gearbox mount sits further from the gearbox, and experiment with tail shaft to get it to fit in.

It's been about 10 years since I did this conversion so I can't remember exactly what I did with the tail shaft, I do remember having to fit the diff snout from the GN to the GE's Borg Warner diff and use the GN tail shaft, but don't quote me on it.