help!! tailshaft yoke needed!

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
ryboyryboy

help!! tailshaft yoke needed!

Post by ryboyryboy »

hey guys

just swapped my engine and box form an 85 gk sigma into an 88 triton extra cab and the tailshaft yoke is different has anyone got a front tailshaft yoke that will fit my sigma 5 speed kicking around?

thanks

ryan
ryboyryboy

Re: help!! tailshaft yoke needed!

Post by ryboyryboy »

have since also discovered that the box i have put in is a 21 spline shaft and the triton is a 26
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Sounds like you either have a NARROW block engine or a BW (non jap) gearbox.

Word of caution, if you are doing a lot of heavy work with the Triton, the standard sigma gearbox wont last too long.

Here is a thread I started when I was going to put the starion gearbox internals (which are the same as the triton) into a narrow block gearbox.

There are several major strength differences between the gearboxes, the most notable are the width of the gears and the thickness of the output shaft.

If the gearbox is from a narrow block Astron, a lot of people would be interested in it.

Cheers.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ryboyryboy wrote:just swapped my engine and box form an 85 gk sigma into an 88 triton extra cab and the tailshaft yoke is different has anyone got a front tailshaft yoke that will fit my sigma 5 speed kicking around?
Why not go to a wreckers and pic up the yoke off a Sigma?
What city are you in btw?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

im in perth, cant find a wrecker with a sigma! ,

the flywheel on the triton was massively bigger than the flywheel on the box from my sigma and also as you said adn i now know, the output shaft is bigger,

te reason im messing around so much is that the gearbox that is paired with the engine was rebuilt less than 50k ago and the triton has 370k on the clock so until now i thought it would be the wiser option
to run a gearbox i know is in good shape!

however after hearing that you think the triton box may be stronger im thinking i may hang onto it and get it checked over and switch it out at a later date.
im trying to get veem driveshafts in perth to scource me a yoke at the moment and if all works out ill hanfg onto the triton one and i should be able to just switch them over down the track
but its due to be painted on saturday and i cant go anywehere without that bloody sigma yoke!

so with the 21 spline are you guys thinking it may be the borg warner 5 speed?

thanks

ryan
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

So your flywheel is smaller?

Read this: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6424

I'm wondering if you have a narrow block?
Which would mean you should be able to get a tail shaft yoke out of a Lancer or Galant 4 speed?

Do you have a Jap box or a Borg Warner? (If it's all alloy it's a Jap box, if it's main housing or centre section if you like, is cast iron, then it's a Borg Warner).

I can confirm if you need me to on sizes of yokes if you have a Jap box, but if You've got a BW I can't really help you.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

both the box from the sigma and the triton are all alloy,

having major dramas trying to find a yoke!
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

ok so I may have found a yoke!!(its getting posted to me from a south west auto wrecker haha)
from what i can gather from the links you posted re how to tell the difference between the borg and the jap boxes
i can gather i have the jap box with the shifter right up over the top of the output shaft
so the yoke he is sending me is from a sigma station wagon and he has counted 21 grooves so i must be on the right track! I hope!

thanks so much for your help !its greatly appreciated!

in what section do I post pics of tritons? haha
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

ryboyryboy wrote:from what i can gather from the links you posted re how to tell the difference between the borg and the jap boxesi can gather i have the jap box with the shifter right up over the top of the output shaftso the yoke he is sending me is from a sigma station wagon
You might have a little bit of an issue getting the gearstick through the original hole in the floor.

4G54 Tritons (I have a MJ twincab), use the short extension housing where the gearstick is around 100mm closer to the engine.

BTW:
To get a gearbox reconditioned (new bearings and syncros) cost me around $500 - $550.

Depending on how mechanically minded you are and how much work you are capable/prepared to do, less than $1000 to fully recondition is easily achieved.

Might be a better option.

Cheers.
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

well that blew up in my face and the guy form the south west never came through with the yoke so i have a complete car rims paint and evrything with no yoke!!!
still after a 21 spline yoke to suit my jap 5 speed sigma box can anyone help???
even just an idea of where i can scource a matching yoke from a different car as im struggling to find sigmas at the wreckers anymore!

thanks all

ryan
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

hey guys so my sigma yoke search is still floating with dead ends and unfulfilled promises haha

so we have come the the conclusion that i have a narrow km132 jap 5speed

so the question/s is where else might i find a 21 spline yoke to suit if not from a sigma?

have had the car finished bar a tailshaft for two months now it getting rediculous!

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

ryan
ddt

Post by ddt »

Have you tried "my mechanic", Jade St Maddington?
He must have something in his stash to help you out?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

i havent but will now thanks
ryboyryboy

Post by ryboyryboy »

struck out with my mechanic in jade st still yokeless
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

hmm
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

One is on its' way...

Cheers.
damian

Post by damian »

you legend ;)
sneezy

Post by sneezy »