Paint

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
SIC082

Paint

Post by SIC082 »

Can anyone suggest someone that does paint and panel work in the northern suburbs(SA) :think:

Looking at doing full respray with some rust repairs.
A112H

Re: Paint

Post by A112H »

Depends on what you want to pay really. I can recommend Elizabeth Paint and Panel if you are looking for a good job around $5,000 (the painter here has a very tidy blue GA Sedan) or Platt Paint and Panel if you are after a show job around $15,000.

Elizabeth Paint and Panel
Behind Agostino Mitsubishi
45 Elizabeth Way, Elizabeth SA 5112, Australia
(08) 8252 9206

Platt Paint and Panel
68 Stanbel Rd, Salisbury Plains, SA
(08) 82819705
SIC082

Post by SIC082 »

Hey Jason, who did you get to do the paint on your galant? Most paint shops dont tend to want to do the rust vrepair and prep work. They just like to do the straight paint job.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I did the paint on mine but mine had almost no rust and only pin dents. Was my first try ever and happy with the outcome. If you have a shed give it a go yourself, I was suprised how hard it wasn't. Not easy but certainly not rocket science.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I have a tendency to agree with Jason.

Painting your car (or learning to), is an interesting experience, and the quality of the job comes down to how particular 'you' are. Attention to detail wins everytime :thumpsup:

I don't profess to be a professional car painter, but with what I have learned over the years, I get a quite reasonable job.

Also, from the quotes that I am hearing for how much it costs to pay someone ($3k to $10), you don't have much to lose by having a go yourself. The materials cost for 76galantv6's car came to just over $600 (materials only, not the tools required for the job). I've painted cars in 1 weekend before, and I've done jobs like 76galantv6's car that took 27 days (my wagon took many more then 27 days, I just never bothered counting the days, as I spread the work over 3 years).

Just depends what you want really?
It also depends on the car, no point spending weeks on a car that's a rusty bucket, and a shame to do a weekend spray job on a tidy rust free example. Only you can judge what you have, what you need, and what you can afford.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I get a quite reasonable job.
This is a massive, MASSIVE understatment. Dave got a brilliant result with both his wagon and 76galantv6 sedan. It is all down to prepertation and care.

It really is all down to you, anyone can cut an ear off but that won't make you Van Gogh, take Mark Reid for example, certainly is a douche bag but isn't an artist.
I also spent about $600 on materials, borrowed a compressor and with a shit load of trepidation I gave it a crack. Took more sand paper than I thought and a lot more polishing than I thought but over all I am happy.
All up it cost me under $1000 but if I needed/wanted to own the equipment I guess you would be looking closer to $3000 but if you were doing 2 or 3 jobs a year it would pay for itself in a year or two.
It certainly is a skill that takes some mastery but after 2 weeks with my shed looking like a paint booth and still being miles away from professional I now have a skill I won't forget.
My Son is nearly 14 so I guess we will start his project soon ;-)
SIC082

Post by SIC082 »

It is far from being a rust bucket. Just the usual round front and rear screen. Already replaced front guards with rust free and got another door to fit which is rust free. Got a few small dents like any car. It is more a matter of patients I think. The prep work would be the biggest pain in the but. Not after a show car, just gonna be a track and drag car. No reg for the road. But I still want something that is clean and tidy.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Mine was never going to be a show car and I never had delusions that I could make it such, I work hard for a living and don't have enought drug money to enter summer nats, lol.
Anyway, give it a crack it you can, you will be happy with the result.
As I said this was my first effort at bodywork / paint and it was pretty easy with the right knowledge and patientce.
SIC082

Post by SIC082 »

Would be good to, but don't think I have the patients to do it myself. My mate is helpin on the mechanical, but cant con no one to do the paint job!
:\
A112H

Post by A112H »

Where abouts in the Northern suburbs are you?
I might be convinced to help over the Xmas period provided it doesn't reduce my sleep, drink, sleep, drink, sleep , drink holiday ethos lol
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

My step brother is a car restorer by trade and IMO (you can say im being biased...i dont care lol) he is a perfectionist and is by far the best worker i've seen......even still...i'm planning on doing my own paint/panel work and achieve my own results......he would clearly make a better result quicker than me...but it's more satisfying (to me) building my own car and producing my own results......but thats just me...........

I'm planning on buying my own equipment...going to TAFE to do a short course in paint/panel and fabrication work.......then doing the job myself..........then if you enjoy the work and mates wants your help....you can do a job for them......or at the very least....you sell the equipment you bought and get some of the money back lol......that was my plan anyway
Built with pride, Driven in anger