help with lights

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
BOOTS

help with lights

Post by BOOTS »

got another ge sigma today and when i got home realised all the lights work but the headlights only work on highbeam, im guessing its a simple problem like a faulty switch or fuse or something. anyone know or had this issue?
dvsfin

Re: help with lights

Post by dvsfin »

I had this problem in my galant and the first thing I did was check all the fuses, next I checked the dipper switch thing on the blinker stalk and it turned out the contacts had worn down and weren't touching any more, I just bent them until they touched again and now it's fine :P
BOOTS

Post by BOOTS »

dvsfin wrote:I had this problem in my galant and the first thing I did was check all the fuses, next I checked the dipper switch thing on the blinker stalk and it turned out the contacts had worn down and weren't touching any more, I just bent them until they touched again and now it's fine :P
is it easy to take appart?
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

in the galant it wasn't too bad, have to take the steering column apart. Just make sure you put the steering wheel back on straight unlike me LOL
BOOTS

Post by BOOTS »

ill try.....lol
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

try the relay near the battery, it should click twice,one for park lights--- second click head lights.

Start at lights end first then work your way back to the column.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

Yea, I wasn't suggesting doing what I did as your first option :P I was just noting it is a possible cause as I had it happen to me.

Definitely start at the lights first and make your way back
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Have you done the really simple thing and checked the globes?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
BOOTS

Post by BOOTS »

scorpioncollector wrote:try the relay near the battery, it should click twice,one for park lights--- second click head lights.

Start at lights end first then work your way back to the column.
Thanks
luke77 wrote:Have you done the really simple thing and checked the globes?
:hit:
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Try looking at the connecting plug column to main harness. mine had burn marks on high beam wiring, hence no high beam