GE questions and i have a few

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Leethal

GE questions and i have a few

Post by Leethal »

hi yas, been checking this site out for awhile now so decided to try and hit the members with a stack of questions sorry if its too many, i currantly have to siggys, 1 i think is a gk ( 84) gsr i orig was given this for parts but have a young son who'll b hit,n the road in bout 18 months. i plan on stealing the 2.6 outa the gsr building it up for my GE and then stick'n the 2 litre in the gsr after a freshen up ( sorry gsr nuts) ok so on with the questions
1. i plan on totally rebuilding the 2.6 with an efi conversion ( for the GE) is there any preference as to which magna heads i should try and get and why that particular head , saw on here that an m3 head i think it was is the go, and how to tell them apart and why that head,
2. are all sensors i need on the head/throttle body aside from the exhaust sensor?
3. i plan on sticking a cam in it the 1 i,m looking at peaks at 6800 rpm will the stock crank handle that reliably or can i go nuttier with the cam, any recommend a cam?
4. i'd really like to go to disk rear end which i plan on stealing from the gsr ( sorry again gsr nuts but the drums go on the gsr if poss for my son) does anyone know what is involved in converting the GE to disk rear end, i know the housings are different but is this possible? will the guts outa the gsr diff go into my housing? any advice/tips appreciated
5. obviously balance shafts will be binned on both motors, i plan on just cleaning the ports up with some matching done to manifolds ect, but to gain as much as possible from the cam and minor port work i want to bang the compression up, how much can i safely take off the head to achieve this, i'd like to see it up around the 10-11;1 mark
6.would an xf falcon throttle body work on an engine this size or is it overkill?
7. after market cpu? any recommendations? as i dont think the stocky is gunna cut it
8. does any 1 know where i can get a light flywheel or how much and where it can be taken off the stocky?
just a footnote, this build is not about drivability or economy, what i wanna achieve at this stage is a normally aspirated siggy that will go reasonably hard ( may surised a few turbo 4, and v6-8 brigades, dont care if they quicker just wanna make em work for it ok thqats enuff for now thanks everyone for any tips ect that yas can give me ps: sorry lethal never realised there was already one here least i spelt mine different hey? lmao i use the double "e" cos tis me name, oh 1 more thing i,ve allways been a roadbike nut but for some reason not known to me i fell in luv with me siggy which was bought to get me outa a transport shit situation
cheaterparts

Re: GE questions and i have a few

Post by cheaterparts »

Leethal wrote: 1. i plan on totally rebuilding the 2.6 with an efi conversion ( for the GE) is there any preference as to which magna heads i should try and get and why that particular head , saw on here that an m3 head i think it was is the go, and how to tell them apart and why that head,
2. are all sensors i need on the head/throttle body aside from the exhaust sensor?
3. i plan on sticking a cam in it the 1 i,m looking at peaks at 6800 rpm will the stock crank handle that reliably or can i go nuttier with the cam, any recommend a cam?
4. i'd really like to go to disk rear end which i plan on stealing from the gsr ( sorry again gsr nuts but the drums go on the gsr if poss for my son) does anyone know what is involved in converting the GE to disk rear end, i know the housings are different but is this possible? will the guts outa the gsr diff go into my housing? any advice/tips appreciated
5. obviously balance shafts will be binned on both motors, i plan on just cleaning the ports up with some matching done to manifolds ect, but to gain as much as possible from the cam and minor port work i want to bang the compression up, how much can i safely take off the head to achieve this, i'd like to see it up around the 10-11;1 mark
6.would an xf falcon throttle body work on an engine this size or is it overkill?
7. after market cpu? any recommendations? as i dont think the stocky is gunna cut it
8. does any 1 know where i can get a light flywheel or how much and where it can be taken off the stocky?
answers

1) a M6/7 will give you the best flow - however I'm moving to a m8/m9 head to get more comp - 3.5 mm removed from a M6 head will nett around 11.2:1 with flat tops
2)well if you are running an after market ecu you wont need an exhuast sencor
3)I race a 2.6 and it spins past 7000 on a cleaned up std crank with polished peaned std rods and it hasn't been an issue
4) ??? I use another diff H190 datson but run starion discs all round
5)as above 3.5 mm will get you 11.2:1 - again I know this it what I've been running and on BP 98 - I wont to up the comp to 13:1 and run E85 fuel
6)the ford 65 mm TB works a treat - quad TBs even better
7)most after market ECUs work fine ,work out with your dyno guy what hes happy to work with
8) I make my own billet flywheels from 4140 steel and my new one weighs 2.9 Kg for my 2.6
that however is the small dia flywheel like a 2Lt engine
if you are going to use a 2.6 the go is to use an auto block ( small bellhousing ) then use a 2 Lt gear box and the smaller dia flywheel/clutch

hope that is some help
cheater
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Hey mate,

Welcome to the site.

Well thankfully the GK rear end will not fit the GE (so leave the disc's there for your son!)
You should be able to slot the complete rear end from a GH scorpion into your GE, giving you disc's & a far better diff ;) (if you do take that route, don't forget the handbrake cable & the end bit of the tail shaft which bolts the diff & the 4 bolts - they ARE a different size to the sigma)

Cheers,
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
panda

Post by panda »

Hi, and welcome.
All Magna heads have an id code cast into the head between exhaust ports 2 ~ 3. Eg M2, M6, M9 etc. Personally I use an M6.
Like cheater said, use any aftermarket ECU that you dyno man can tune properly, personally I use Haltech. Also an after market ECU wont require the air flow meter, but will require the following sensors :- MAP sensor, throttle position, air temperature, water temperature, plus a suitable ignition triggering system. Luckily, my Haltech ECU is fully compatible with a stock standard Magna distributor for ignition triggers. My throttle body is a stock 60mm from a TR/TS Magna, but with the water valving removed.
Good luck with the project.
panda
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Leethal

Post by Leethal »

thanks cheater, i was wondering how to i.d the cycl heads from each other, do you have or have know anyone who has exp with wolf ecu units? picked up the gsr yesterday so now the ball can start rolling , thanks everyone for your tips and advice
Leethal

Post by Leethal »

coupla more things , what actually is the difference between the heads does anyone know? has anyone done this to a GE out there? curious bout bonnet clearance once efi is in, the heads i have looked at all seem as tho this wont be a prob, but murphy being murphy...... being mostly a bike nut this is all new to me ( never owned or built a modified car ever) i assume that i just unbolt the water pump pulley and bin it. i have seen a few posts here re brake upgrades, i stumbled upon a mob called hopper stoppers they do a big brake conversion for siggys using 300mm au falcan rotors ( new slottted available) brand new twin piston calipers ( pbr i think) and all required caliper mounts, hoses ect, this conversion requires upgrading of the master cylinder which is not supplied in the kit, kit costs $1400 w/out master cylinder. geez if these dont stop it nothing will
panda

Post by panda »

Regarding Magna heads, yep, bin the water pump pulley, just leave the cam poking out the back of the head to stop the oil running out. As far as clearances go, I use a Series II efi manifold (out of a TR/TS Magna) in my GJ Rally sigma, which is bigger than the Series I from a TN/TP Magna. If in doubt, use the smaller Series I. Also my throttle body just rubs the bonnet occasionally, but my motor moves around a lot in the engine bay. ;) The only main issue was trying to fit a strut brace, it does not fit between the plenum chamber & the bonnet without cutting away all the bonnet ribs, but at least I got rid of some more weight :)
Variations in Magna heads relate to the combustion chamber shapes & port shapes. They were altered over time for a cleaner burn for new anti-pollution laws, not necessarily to improve horse-power. Later models, like M6 & M9, used roller rockers with hydraulic lifters.
Good luck, panda

panda

Post by panda »

There is a wolf 3d v4 with handset,coils .ignitor , & laptop cable for sale for $900 ono in WA
4 MORE INFO LOG ONTO THE GALLANT VR4 FORUMS