CAN WE FINALLY CONFIRM WHAT MODEL SIGMA THIS IS?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
H8DAG8

CAN WE FINALLY CONFIRM WHAT MODEL SIGMA THIS IS?

Post by H8DAG8 »

Hi guys,

Ok so I really need to know what model Sigma I have now.
Recently the head cracked, and the block needed to be de-balanced and is in the midst of being done during this week.
The repair manual I was told to buy was the wrong one so a complete waste of (quite a lot of) money. As it didn't have the 4g63 engine, only the astron saturn if I recall correctly?
Does anyone know what one would suit mine?

Manual has to have the 2L 4g63 8valve SOHC carby engine in it, as that's what mine has. NZ new. 1984 Sigma SE is all I know. The chassis number begins with GV.
Is gregory's manual #225 the correct one? GK,GN series XL, GL, SE GSR? It's the only one I've been able to find that caters to SE and I think it has the 4g63 motor in it but I'm unsure, I've found one on eBay but don't want to fork our $60NZD + for it if again it's the wrong one.

Any way for me to fine a definite way to destinguish what model it is? 100% accurately, no guesses as I don't want to keep wasting money.

It is NZ new so I know (or think) it will have a different model value to what the Aussie one is, but someone on here must know what the '84 sigma SE 4g63's (2L's) model is?

Thanks as always guys.
See my other posts/threads for pics of the car.
sigmadan

Re: CAN WE FINALLY CONFIRM WHAT MODEL SIGMA THIS IS?

Post by sigmadan »

I will try and help but I may be up for correction...

Firstly, I have never heard of a chassis number starting with GV. From what i know, it should only start with GE, GH, GJ, GK or GN which of course signifies all the Sigma models. Have you checked both the compliance plate and whats actually stamped on the body of the car inside the hood? Are you certain its not a J instead of a V, an 84 Sigma could be either a GJ or GK but the V would more so resemble a J wouldnt it??

Check out this post and the image of how to identify the vehicle;
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... ial#p23349

Regarding the engine, again not 100% sure but I dont think the GK/GN manual will have the 4G63 as they came out with Astron 1 (4g54) or Astron 2 (GN only) motors.

Are you also sure that your engine is carby, I thought the 4G63 is injected? Check out this wiki page which also lists its application;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi ... ngine#4G63
Last edited by sigmadan on Mon May 23, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

sigmadan wrote:I will try and help but I may be up for correction...

Firstly, I have never heard of a chassis number starting with GV. From what i know, it should only start with GE, GH, GJ, GK or GN which of course signifies all the Sigma models. Have you checked both the compliance plate and whats actually stamped on the body of the car inside the hood? Are you certain its not a J instead of a V, an 84 Sigma could be either a GJ or GK but the V would more so resemble a J wouldnt it??

Check out this post and the image of how to identify the vehicle;
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... ial#p23349

Regarding the engine, again not 100% sure but I dont think the GK/GN manual will have the 4G63 as they came out with Astron 1 (4g54) or Astron 2 (GN only) motors.

Are you also sure that your engine is carby, I thought the 4G63 is injected? Check out this wiki page which also lists its application;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi ... ngine#4G63
Hi there,

Ok, to start with, the chassis number does definitely begin with "GV". It is GV8X0323 on the firewall, and GV8H41 0323 on the plate by the right strut.

The engine is definitely carby, and is definitely a 4g63, same engine that came in some Mitsi L200 utes etc. 100% a 4g63 carby 2L SOHC 8 valve engine. N-S / RWD.
4g63's came out in a wide range of spec's from carby to injected to turbo to deisel etc.

I checked out that link, and it helps a little, but, still doesn't explain the mysterious "GV"... :banh:

Any further idea's?
sigmadan

Post by sigmadan »

Can I ask where you actually bought this car? Do the registration papers match with what is on the car?? Do you also have the engine number handy?

Maybe you can take some photos of the vin numbers in those two spots on your car and then we can see if they look like they have been played around with. Its a worry that they are even a few characters different. Looks like maybe someone was trying to register it as a turbo sigma so they put the X, but then you got the H for High class on the other one but that still doesnt make sense as the SE model should have the P for Premium class.

The GV, well I cant explain, were the Sigmas rolled out to New Zealand to buy brand new and were they different at all?
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Bought the car off TradeMe as most NZ'ers do.
Engine number is BX6087.
Car only had 2 owners before me (including original NZ owners).
Car registration papers match what is on the car, engine number is the same, and chassis number on registration papers match what is on the plate. Don't know why what is on the firewall is different??

I don't know what the chassis number stamped on the firewall should look like? I know they don't look as neat and tidy as the ones today so I'm unsure, it doesn't look neat and tidy but I've been told that's normal for cars of this age and especially Mitsi's...??

As far as I know the NZ new ones were assembled here and did have some different parts in/on them including the engines.

Photo's of the 2 spots are as below.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

From the looks of it, Todd Motors imported Sigma parts into NZ and manufactured them. Because of them building them rather than Mitsubishi in Japan or Australia, they probably used the model code 'GV' rather than what was commonly used. Since the NZ spec uses a 4G63, that would be closer to a Jap Spec Sigma rather than an Au Spec Sigma.
woops

Post by woops »

The Sigma's in NZ have a different model No for pretty much every year.

1977-78 - YC (pretty much the same as our GE sigma)
1978 GN - Sigma Estate (GE wagon equivalent)
1979 GP - Sigma Estate (GE wagon equivalent)
1979-80 GQ Sigma (Similar to our GH)
1980 GQ Sigma GLX Estate (GH wagon Equivalent)
1980-81 GR GLX Super Saloon (GJ sedan equivalent)
1982 GS Sigma (Might be equivalent to the GJ or GK)
1983 GT Sigma (appears to be the same as the GK)

And that's as far as my info here goes for the NZ models but they seem to have a similar range to the aussies. I'm going to start a new thread of the pages which I have here of some NZ info I got given to me by a fellow forum member originally from NZ.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ok so I'm quite safe my car hasn't been racked and the chassis number altered?
I did all the checks before purchase and it came up clean..

Also, is this car known as a GV model then? Gregory's manuals are Australian correct? So I won't find one to suit my engine, but I will find one to suit my chassis/body/shape? What is the equiv. model in Aussie for mine? (minus the engine obviously).

Cheers guys.
woops

Post by woops »

Have you checked out the thread of the info I put online about the NZ Mitsubishi's?

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7195

It appears that if going by the pattern then your model should be equivalent to our GK/ GN models but with the little differences which NZ vehicles had. Also taking a look at the years corresponding to the chassis number then GV fits right in for the 1984 model. Unfortuantly the info i have on NZ vehicles only goes to 1983 so your model just missed out of being covered in the info. This would be the manual which would be closest aussie equivalent to your model.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-S ... 4cf7495d21
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

woops wrote:Have you checked out the thread of the info I put online about the NZ Mitsubishi's?

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7195

It appears that if going by the pattern then your model should be equivalent to our GK/ GN models but with the little differences which NZ vehicles had. Also taking a look at the years corresponding to the chassis number then GV fits right in for the 1984 model. Unfortuantly the info i have on NZ vehicles only goes to 1983 so your model just missed out of being covered in the info. This would be the manual which would be closest aussie equivalent to your model.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-S ... 4cf7495d21
Ah sweet yea I was thinking mine is the closest to an Aussie GK-GN. Had a look at that manual, that's the same one I'd found on eBay that'd ship to NZ but was veeery pricey. Would anyone in Aussie please be able to help me out and ask how much it is to ship to someone in Aussie, and then ship to me in NZ? As he doesn't say he ships worldwide or to NZ so asuming it's only Aussie.

Thanks.
sigmadan

Post by sigmadan »

Ah sweet yea I was thinking mine is the closest to an Aussie GK-GN. Had a look at that manual, that's the same one I'd found on eBay that'd ship to NZ but was veeery pricey. Would anyone in Aussie please be able to help me out and ask how much it is to ship to someone in Aussie, and then ship to me in NZ? As he doesn't say he ships worldwide or to NZ so asuming it's only Aussie.

Thanks.
Excuse me if im wrong but yes you may have the GK equivalent but you said you wanted it to have the 4G63 engine info, well I am sure this manual definitely wont be listing that. It will have the 4G52 as the 2 litre listing and the 4G54 as the 2.6 litre...
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

sigmadan wrote:

Thanks.
Excuse me if im wrong but yes you may have the GK equivalent but you said you wanted it to have the 4G63 engine info, well I am sure this manual definitely wont be listing that. It will have the 4G52 as the 2 litre listing and the 4G54 as the 2.6 litre...
Yea I know it won't have the 4g63 info. in it - none of your manuals will because none of your Sigma's came with the 4g63 infortunately!
But, better to have it for everything else on my car I suppose, then I'll have to keep hunting for a 4g63 engine manual somewhere, but it's darn hard to find one for the 1980-1990 model engine! They are all for 1990+!
webby

Post by webby »

Look for a L300/L200 manual, they ran the same engine as you.
As for 1990+, a SOHC 4G63 is a SOHC 4G63, turbo/efi/carb notwithstanding. So the 1990+ manual will be fine, provided it has the info for the SOHC engine in it.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

webby wrote:Look for a L300/L200 manual, they ran the same engine as you.
As for 1990+, a SOHC 4G63 is a SOHC 4G63, turbo/efi/carb notwithstanding. So the 1990+ manual will be fine, provided it has the info for the SOHC engine in it.
Yep that's what I've been looking for but can only find 1990+.
Oh really? I've been told that the 1980 and 1990+ 4g63's have differente spec's as far as head bolt torques etc..
webby

Post by webby »

Don't see why they would, but it's possible :think:
I can have a look if you want, I'm pretty sure I have a Starion manual around here somewhere?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

webby wrote:Don't see why they would, but it's possible :think:
I can have a look if you want, I'm pretty sure I have a Starion manual around here somewhere?
Yes please that'd be great! So the starions (pre-1990) came with 4g63s?
webby

Post by webby »

Yes.
Except the widebody GSR-VR models and American-market cars which had the G54BT, but that's not important :P
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Both my Starion book and the PDF manual for 1992 from austarion give the same torque specs etc, so I think you'll be pretty safe with the later engine manual :)
-Josh.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

My 1984 Galant A160 looks like an Australian GJ GSR sigma, and thats where the similarities end. It does however have a factory standard 4g63b SOHC 2litre turbo and 4 speed auto factory gearbox in it. The 82 Starion has a simular motor but the wiring loom is totally different.
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

This might help you a lot. An online manual for ALL 4G63 and engine variants.
I found it more than useful when doing my '63 16v SOHC.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4570538/Mitsu ... G64-Engine
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Awesome thanks man.

I'm not able to check it out until I get home but it will definitely suit my engine will it?
Pre (and including) 1990 4g63 2L SOHC 8 valve, Carby -not injected.

Cheers.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

please, please just take a pic of the engine and post it..
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

astronturbo77 wrote:please, please just take a pic of the engine and post it..
My engine? Why?.. It's a 4g63 SOHC 8 valve carby. 1980-1990 as far as I know. Only one type..
Engine is now in so can't get clear pics but will do today.
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

H8DAG8 wrote:Awesome thanks man.

I'm not able to check it out until I get home but it will definitely suit my engine will it?
Pre (and including) 1990 4g63 2L SOHC 8 valve, Carby -not injected.

Cheers.
It has all specs for 8v SDHC,16v SOHC,v DOHC engines.
I mhad a look at the torque sequence and bolt torque settings on the packaging of the VRS set I have here and the tightening steps are as follows
Step 1 75nm
Step 2 Back off
Step 3 25nm
Step 4 Tighten 90 degrees
Step 5 Tighten a further 90 degrees
Tightening sequenge

8 4 1 5 9

7 3 2 6 10

This is correct as I did a head on my 16v SOHC 3 weeks ago.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

H8DAG8 wrote:
astronturbo77 wrote:please, please just take a pic of the engine and post it..
My engine? Why?.. It's a 4g63 SOHC 8 valve carby. 1980-1990 as far as I know. Only one type..
Engine is now in so can't get clear pics but will do today.

I can answer that question.........

A picture tells a thousand words, and it is so much more easier to compare with a picture :D
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

webby

Post by webby »

Looks like every other 8v 4G63 in existence to me.
-Josh.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

1992+ have different torque settings for the head than the pre 1992 - so they can't be the same...... that's why I was after the correct manual for it.
webby

Post by webby »

It still makes bugger all sense to me as to why Mitsu would change torque settings for what is exactly the same motor but if they did, they did :)
-Josh.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

webby wrote:It still makes bugger all sense to me as to why Mitsu would change torque settings for what is exactly the same motor but if they did, they did :)
That's what I said but the place that did the engine recon work on my 63 told me the torque settings for the head bolts which were different to the ones I've got in a 1992+ 4g63 manual I downloaded from the internet.. beats me!