4G54 Head On 4g52 Will it work

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
heyhey13

4G54 Head On 4g52 Will it work

Post by heyhey13 »

G'day all
My First Question will a 4g54 head fit onto a 4g52??
Second question will it affect my compression ratio
third Question if Yes to Question 2 Will i have to run a turbo to counteract this??

I have just started a EFi Conversion and i have purcased a manafold that has been has had its ends changes but the upper cilinder water out let is on the wrong side i could take it to the local engineers but they will charge me a $$$$$ to do a water
outlet swap or i could buy a fairly cheap 4g54 head and do a swap

Will post Photos Later
rob020

Re: 4G54 Head On 4g52 Will it work

Post by rob020 »

umm.. changing to a 4g54 head wont swap the thermostat housing to the other end... im assuming you have a magna efi manifold?? the magna thermostat housing wont clear the firewall, use a sigma one and get an old vacuum cleaner metal pipe and use that to join a couple hoses to reach the radiator

also all 4g52's are astron 1's.. the inlet flange is physically different to an astron 2..
the 4g54 head will fit and it would lower your compression ratio, i dont know or dont have the energy to think about your other question

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
heyhey13

Post by heyhey13 »

Thank you
Here are the photos Might make things a bit clearer
My problem is the 4g52 Upper cilinder outlet is on the wrong side Image Image Image
rob020

Post by rob020 »

ahh yes... have you noticed the bottom studs dont line up to the holes in the manifold yet?

you need an astron II head.. which will lower the compression even more than an astron I 2.6 head,
i run an Astron II head on my Astron I 4g54 and the compression ratio is ~6.7:1, i wouldnt recommend
running that with no turbo let alone the even lower ratio you'd be getting

if you want a turbo, find a 2.6 sigma block and put a magna head on that... you could use a complete magna
engine for standard compression but then you need to find a RWD timing chain cover so you can fit the water
pump to the front of the engine and a welch plug for the old water pump outlet...and anothe one for the pump
shaft thats part of the cam if you want to put your 4g52 cam and adjustable rockers in it... the 4g52 came has
a few extra degrees and is slightly retarded, i have an adjustable cam gear though so i just gave it back the
4 degrees i lost, then the extra duration is free :) cam grinds arent expensive though

also you might need a rwd sump

hope ive been of some help,
cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
rob020

Post by rob020 »

ps if you follow my advice than the "upper cylinder outlet" (not its conventional name :p) is a non-issue, just use the right gasket
heyhey13

Post by heyhey13 »

Thankyou

I'm going to all this trouble because the stock carby has had it
I noticed that the manafold looks very similar to my 4g64 Sohc Van Manafold so i might do a swap with that one and use the carby off it on the Sigma
:facepalm:
rob020

Post by rob020 »

a magna carby should bolt straight onto your manifold