2.6L/manual into GH 2.0L/auto

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
psshhhht

2.6L/manual into GH 2.0L/auto

Post by psshhhht »

Hi All,
I'm checking out a GH sigma auto, and if all goes well I want to change it from the 2.0L auto to a 2.6L manual.
What's involved in doing the change over?
Is the procedure any different between jap and borg warner box?
Cheers guys,
Jer
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
shuggy

Re: 2.6L/manual into GH 2.0L/auto

Post by shuggy »

hav fun installing the clutch pedal :lol:
i did one in my wb ute, from 3 spd on tree to 4 in floor. = never again! haha
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

shuggy wrote:hav fun installing the clutch pedal :lol:
i did one in my wb ute, from 3 spd on tree to 4 in floor. = never again! haha
Serves you right for owning one :P :lol:
Nar there not that bad in a GH (or galant), just unbolt old, bolt in new.

Spline on gear box will be different, as well as the tail shaft (get one from a manual GH...), speedo cable, and of corse re-wire reverse light.
You'll probably also find the mounting holes for the gearbox will be out by a couple mm, easy enough to get around by modifying the cross member the mount sits on.
-Not too hard, just a bit of mucking around ;)
Any Q's just ask.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

cool, thanks for that. after some thinking, as I want to try to get this car reg'd as soon as possible and there's enough work to do without even changing to a manual, at the moment I'm just looking at putting in another 2.0L and once it's all reg'd and I've got some money again (damn being a student!) I'll do the 2.6L and manual conversion...
Cheers!
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
panda

Post by panda »

Not sure about the GE/GH bodies, but the GJ/GK/GN's had a larger transmission tunnel for the auto, which meant a manual conversion was OK, but a auto box wont fit into a manual tunnel. ;)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

psshhhht wrote:cool, thanks for that. after some thinking, as I want to try to get this car reg'd as soon as possible and there's enough work to do without even changing to a manual, at the moment I'm just looking at putting in another 2.0L and once it's all reg'd and I've got some money again (damn being a student!) I'll do the 2.6L and manual conversion...
Cheers!
10 out of 10 for being smart. Get the car rego'd first. There is usually enough drama and expence with getting the thing up to scratch for rego without taking on needless modifications.

Go to the top of the class ;)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

:lol: :mrgreen:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

As above... wise move :)

Although... if your planning to be putting a new engine in anyway? just buy an auto 2.6? it will be the same amount of work to put the 2lt in?

Whats wrong with the 2lt at the moment? few too many km's over a rebuild?

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

current 2.0L has 340K. I suspect it's either a blown headgasket or rings, because lots of smoke out the rear (although I realise all sigmas do that) and I reckon more oil on the outside of the engine/trans than inside lol. I took it for a drive around the block today for the first time, and it was CRAP! I barely made it up my hill!
I guess I could reco/rebuild it, but really I'm sure i could pick up a decent condition narrow 2.6L or 2.0L to replace it for cheaper!

I may have also sourced a 2.6L and 5 speed man - will be checking it out tomorrow. Has 280K though, and has been sitting for a while, so we'll see what happens.

Cheers
panda

Post by panda »

The easiest quick fix is to find another motor & gearbox combo, then slot that in. Even if its tired, it would probably be better that what youve got. AND..... good Astrons do NOT blow smoke, only stuffed ones. :(
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]